Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: General doubt regarding MBA admissions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Great feedback above from Farrel. I would only add that your impact on your organization is one of the most important aspects of how school's evaluate your work experience. This transcends what firm you are at. So focus on your impact and all of the interpersonal and analytical skills you have developed at your firm
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
janakan91 wrote:
I got few serious reservations! After engineering graduation, I joined my father's firm, which is a small scale enterprise in a small town. am working for four years and now want to pursue a full time MBA ( preferably abroad ). The main aim is for learning the nuances, exposure and scaling up our firm back home after somwtime.

My doubts

1. What is the most suitable stream in MBA for me?
2. Since I don't have work experience from a reputed company, will it affect my chances from getting into top universities?

Please guide me. I have made serious efforts to find answers and yet I am unclear.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hey dude
Good to hear from you! And indeed an MBA sounds like a FANTASTIC idea for you.

To address your doubts:
1. Most MBA are generalist programs focusing on leadership and management, an dit seems to me that that is exactly what you need!
2. It depends on the details. How big is your family business? What is the indsutry? What is the annual turnover? How many employees? What is its market share? Obviously, the bigger and the more successful, the better :)

I hope this helps!
Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much. Very thoughtful reply. And for you questions ,We are in construction business which has been started 30 years back. And it's small scale enterprise with no more than 20 employees working in it. So you see it's not bigger and ofcourse it's successfully running but on a limited scale . So what's your take on it

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello janakan91,

Good choice to go in for an MBA. But, before you take any decision, please do make sure you will have the relevant finances to pay back the MBA costs. Now, if you get a scholarship, nothing like it. But if you don't, you'll have some heavy burden, considering that you'll be joining the family business post-MBA.

How to get a scholarship? Blast it on the GMAT. If you have a good GMAT, schools will help you out.

Which MBA to do? There are a lot of options out there! If you are not sure, there are also General Management MBA programs.

Please feel free to get in touch with us at the email address below and we'll surely assist you!

Cheers!
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
janakan91 wrote:
I got few serious reservations! After engineering graduation, I joined my father's firm, which is a small scale enterprise in a small town. am working for four years and now want to pursue a full time MBA ( preferably abroad ). The main aim is for learning the nuances, exposure and scaling up our firm back home after somwtime.
Hi janakan91, Thanks for reaching out. First of all, an MBA degree is broad and some programs like Kellogg and others don't even require you to have a concentration or major. Now, it helps in admissions to have a story and also to inform why you want an MBA and so I think that is where you need to spend time thinking. An MBA is not a magic pill, but it does provide exposure, clarity, information and leadership as well as connections that can really take your career to new levels. There is some trust involved, and the more you know what you want, the more you can assess the value of the MBA. There are many things about it that you can' t quantify like the confidence and connections it can bring to have the MBA. Depending on what your GMAT is, as well as your UG grades, that will play a role in the level of schools you can consider. Your family work experience - if you can show impact and value there- can still be viable in your application. To learn more about how we can help you, here is a link for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
My doubts

1. What is the most suitable stream in MBA for me?
2. Since I don't have work experience from a reputed company, will it affect my chances from getting into top universities?

Please guide me. I have made serious efforts to find answers and yet I am unclear.

GMAT Club Bot