Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 03:46 It is currently 13 May 2024, 03:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
ramkumartechy wrote:
Hi all .. i am new to this forum and GMAT.I went through this whole thread and every1 has listed a sample GMAT test to be taken to know once position before starting preparation.It will be really helpful if any1 can provide sites where i can take free Sample GMAT test.I found out lots of such sites in the net but i want to know which is the best site to take a sample test.

Hi ramkumartechy,
I think the link below may help you much.
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html?fl=menu
However, I suggest not to use all the GMATPrep tests before you are fully acquainted with the strategies to beat, and procedures of GMAT.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am non-English native speaker. I planned 3 month to retake the Gmat. My last score was 520, the problem is verbal, only 19. I always nervous when I take the real verbal section. But when I practice, I can have better score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: MBA-Entrepreneurship
Schools:Belmont University
 Q25  V25 GMAT 2: 420  Q23  V24
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
it is gonna be my first time taking the exam in 8 weeks time and i really don't know how to start but my initial plan as follows:

2 weeks math review

3 weeks verbal review

and 2 weeks test practicing
Shalom!
I was trying to decide if I should work on both verbal and quant simultaneously but after reading your post this morning I will just stay with my initial plan of working on quant first then verbal.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73171 [0]
Given Kudos: 18948
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Srini88 wrote:
Hi BB,

Is 700 enough for top 10 b-schools.

I just started my preparation 15 days back. I scored 610 in GMAT Prep. Is it a decent start? Pls pour in your thoughts. Thanks bb.. :)

Yes, 700 is plenty for pretty much all schools.
See this thread for more questions on that: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello BB,
I'm new to the forum but have taken the GMAT before using Princeton review and coaching. The last time I took the GMAT was over 5 years ago and I must say that I didn't give the classes I took or my studying the time and energy a serious GMAT test taker should. Reading the tips from this forum and hearing how enthusiastic everyone is with their studying has really energized me to go about it the right way this time around....that being said, I started studying on my own in early May in hopes to take the GMAT again by July...My first CAT test was a Kaplan exam where i was surprised (pleasantly) to score a 570...I was feeling good until I took official practice exam from GMAT last weekend and scored a measly 450....SIGH...I'm kind of freaking out, I've decided to push ego aside and start from the scratch, RETURN 2 ZERO, especially after reading the "Build your study plan" post and push back my test date to late August...giving me a little more than 2 months..
My main problem is in Quant...I was hoping to get some help on my proposed study plan. I've picked up the MGMAT Number properties book that everyone seems to be raving about, did the first chapter today along with the questions and I'm very pleased so far, i started with the KAPLAN book in May, but I think MGMAT is better suited for me. I'm planning to follow the chapters in the number properties books, answer the "In Action" problems in the back then move on to the OG problems associated with the chapter...does this sound like a good idea? Or should i move on to the other chapters first and save all the OG questions after I've completed all chapters from the first part? (i.e. the general part of the book). I'm planning to spend the requisite 1 month on Math before brushing up on verbal....Any tips (e.g. other MGMAT books I should get, when to move on to OG questions, when get back to practice tests...etc) would be greatly appreciated...
P.S. - I'm also making sure to use an error log... I felt that tonight felt like a better study session just because the error log really forced me to review.
Would really appreciate your feedback and tips. Looking forward to your response. Thank you sir!

Kind regards,
R2z (return 2 zero)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting (Maybe Finance)
Schools:Harvard Business School, Wharton, Brown, Columbia, Stanford
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I am graduating in three years and i just finished my first year in college. I'm not using the terms freshman or sophomore because each year I am somewhere between them. For example, I need 120 semester credits to graduate and already have 47 credits (this would be middle of sophomore year).

Anyways, I am trying to apply to top business schools (top ten bound). I currently attend the Ohio State University. I have a lot of time this summer and I'd like to start prepping for the test because I'd like to go straight to business school. Does that sound possible?

I need help making a plan and I was wondering if anyone could help me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi BB

Thanks for the wonderful preparation guide. Since i m a newbie to the circuit it has helped me to get a plan in place.

I had a few doubts regarding the prep.

1. 1st month -- Maths --> 2nd Month ---> Verbal.. Wont i loose my touch on maths post the 2nd month? Specially due to the lack of practice in the second month. Is a simultaneous approach beneficial?

2. I have the OG 12 edition. I have recently come across the OG verbal review and the OG quant review. How are they different form the 12 edition? I mean do they have anything extra??

TIA

Varun
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:

!
Common Mistakes with GMAT preparation
1: Rushing to take tests before learning anything - waste of tests
2: Starting with the Official Guide - waste of official GMAT questions
3: Giving GMAT the worst time of the day - studying after a long day
4: Skipping basics and rushing to advanced topics
5: Starting to prepare with poor English proficiency

Hi bb,

I refer to point 2 of the "warning". I just bought the OG and thought that I should start there but wait, I read your advice and apparently, starting at the OG is wrong!? :shock:

So I was wondering where else to start studying for the GMAT when startin at the OG is not advisable...

Thanks! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi BB,

This probably is my first post in GmatClub,but i have been quite a frequent visitor of this site.I have always found the posts/articles very useful.I have been trying to take Gmat exam since last year June but haven't taken yet.due to lack of focus and lack of determination...Yes i know that's really long time and i am still finding it hard to get into a rhythm.But i have decided i will take gmat by Aug,2011 at any cost.I am going to spend my next 2 months to prepare for gmat with focus and dedication.I am pretty comfortable with quants as i have been a CAT (test which is taken in india to get into IIMS ) though i would need to revist the concepts ...but i am really scared about verbal part...i am really week in CR and SC .Please suggest me a proper approach for my preparation.My Aim is 700+ in Gmat .I can definately spend 4-5 hrs on weekdays and 7-8 hours over weekends. I have got - OG12,Manhattan SC,Powerscore CR,BGT practice questions subscription,ARCO 99 RC and some stufs for quants. Please do let me knw the right approach .

Thanks,
GC
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
kohym wrote:

Hi bb,

I refer to point 2 of the "warning". I just bought the OG and thought that I should start there but wait, I read your advice and apparently, starting at the OG is wrong!? :shock:

So I was wondering where else to start studying for the GMAT when startin at the OG is not advisable...

Thanks! :-D

You should start with one of the guidebooks: Kaplan, MGMAT, Veritas, etc but not with solving questions.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatcracker24 wrote:
Hi BB,

This probably is my first post in GmatClub,but i have been quite a frequent visitor of this site.I have always found the posts/articles very useful.I have been trying to take Gmat exam since last year June but haven't taken yet.due to lack of focus and lack of determination...Yes i know that's really long time and i am still finding it hard to get into a rhythm.But i have decided i will take gmat by Aug,2011 at any cost.I am going to spend my next 2 months to prepare for gmat with focus and dedication.I am pretty comfortable with quants as i have been a CAT (test which is taken in india to get into IIMS ) though i would need to revist the concepts ...but i am really scared about verbal part...i am really week in CR and SC .Please suggest me a proper approach for my preparation.My Aim is 700+ in Gmat .I can definately spend 4-5 hrs on weekdays and 7-8 hours over weekends. I have got - OG12,Manhattan SC,Powerscore CR,BGT practice questions subscription,ARCO 99 RC and some stufs for quants. Please do let me knw the right approach .

Thanks,
GC

You have 2 great books - MGMAT SC and MGMAT CR. I would work through those to improve your verbal score. Also, brush up your grammar for the sake of SC (MGMAT SC has good coverage but not perfect). You can consider the MGMAT Verbal Foundations or GMAT Club's Ultimate GMAT Grammar e-book and finally, try to read as much fiction/quality english text as you can. Have you seen my GMAT Fiction post?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
bb wrote:
gmatcracker24 wrote:
Hi BB,

Thanks,
GC

You have 2 great books - MGMAT SC and MGMAT CR. I would work through those to improve your verbal score. Also, brush up your grammar for the sake of SC (MGMAT SC has good coverage but not perfect). You can consider the MGMAT Verbal Foundations or GMAT Club's Ultimate GMAT Grammar e-book and finally, try to read as much fiction/quality english text as you can. Have you seen my GMAT Fiction post?

Thanks BB. I will start with GMAT Club's Ultimate GMAT Grammer e-book and then move on to MGMAT SC .I haven't taken a look at - GMAT Fiction post yet.but i will surely take a look soon and try to get some books listed on them . :-) One more trhing which i wanted to ask you is - Which section should i start with either Quants or Verbal ? And should i take up one section at a time while preparing ? example : I start with quants ..should i not start Sc or CR untill and unless i completed Quants completely ?
And how do i consider that i have completed the section and move on - Should i be taking up customised tests?

Please advise. ( I consider myself weak in Verbal than in Quants)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing those important and helpful steps which will help to get good score in GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
First of all thanks for the great job in helping out with gmat. This forum is amazing and i´m getting so much help from it. Im studying in sweden where not many people take gmat. So we don´t have any similar forums like these. Anyways to my question, kaplan or manhattan? manhattan comes first on the list but it seems like more people are using Kaplan! Which one should i buy?
Take care!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 05-04-2012
Send PM
Just getting and doing OG Review is definitely a waste of a good resource.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi everyone!!!

This is my first post. First of all, I want to thank to BB for your help and for you amazing sutdy plan

I am gonna start to prepare the GMAT, and I am planning to take it at the end of this year. I have read most fo the post and I have a mess to decide which books I should buy. I am thinking to buy Manhattan Edition but I am not really sure, Any recommendation?? Apart of that, I am good at Maths but as you can see I am not English native speaker and I have some problems with Verbal section, specially with the Analitical Writing Assessment Section.
I would like to ask if any of have a recommedation for TOEFL?????
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi guys

I've posted this on another forum as well so wanted to apologize for the repeat.
I was wondering if anybody could advise me on how I should study in my last 2 weeks before the test. Quick background, I've taken the test twice in Jan 2010 & Feb 2010, VERY bad idea. 640 both times (M44/V36 & then M42/V38).

From what I've understood, statistically, chances of me doing better are low. But I know I didn't prepare well the first two times and rushed into the test. I've done a far more systematic approach this time, picking up Manhattan guides for quant & SC topics (my real weaknesses). My scores over the last 3 months on practice tests are as following:
GMAC 1: 710 (inflated because of OG12 repeats), Veritas (free): 690, MGMAT1: 700, MGMAT2: 700, Princeton (free): 700.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm taking leave from July 14th to August 3rd, and my test is on August 3rd.

My weaknesses remain:
Quant (average practice test scores 45 - 47), target: 48-49
1) Probability/combinatorics
2) Functions
3) Number properties DS questions (will review Manhattan guide properly)
4) Tougher rate questions
5) Overall timing (have been trying to improve calculation speed as much as possible by working on timers)

Verbal (average practice test scores 40 - 41), target 42-43
1) SC: This is improving, I'm just completing the SC Manhattan guide

bb, any management, or anybody who has advice for how I should really buckle down to raise my scores in these final two weeks - your advice would be invaluable. Again, sorry for repeating this post here as its also on the GMAT Re-takers forum.
Aximili
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  42