Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Good Work-Ex + GMAT + Undergrad College But Low GPA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I totally agree with the above, on paper you will be ok but you need to really work to identify and highlight some of those unique elements in your profile to help you stand out from your applicant pool. The NGO is a nice start but just doing is enough, you have to make sure you are cultivating some meaningful experiences during this time and making an impact as well
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sounds very solid, I like that you have extracurriculars and also a social impact dimension to your profile. Well rounded and *unrepeatable* contribution is the name of the game for you.

I did notice that you would be spending three months abroad in your original post, but my concern is that it will appear to the Adcom that you are checking boxes. Then again you have some time before applying. Would appear better should you integrate that aspect into overall profile which seems you are doing in your work. To answer your question, the NGO in my opinion. It will go a longer way than doing a one-year master program in finance. I just see that as a better strategy for separating you from other Indians, especially if it showcases people management and verbal communication skills. Something that would give you additional perspective that you could contribute in the classroom.

As for your grades, your GMAT score should allay most of their concerns, if you can write a convincing essay on why your grades were low. If you want to cover all your bases I would recommend that you check out the HBS Strategic Management certificate program. Https://www.extension.harvard.edu/acade ... ertificate. One of my Indian IT clients with a 3.0 GPA got decent grades in that program, along with some good teamwork stories, which I believe helped him get into Stern. He had zero extracurricular, zero community service and a 730 GMAT. If If I do say myself we did a pretty great job with his letters, essays, and resume. He also got into Ross.

So Stern should be no problem, and I think and/or Cornell would be a backup school for you.
One other note, I think the European schools would salivate at your GMAT score. If you plan to do an internship, make sure to go for 2 year ar LBS and J-term intake at INSEAD.

Do get in touch with me if you'd like to talk about it further.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
donv wrote:
Hi,
Would greatly appreciate a broad evaluation of my profile for admission to one of the top 10 schools. I would

Undergrad: Comp Science from IIT-Kanpur (top 3 school in India, got a top 50 rank in the entrance examination out of half a million candidates) GPA: 7/10
GMAT: 770
Worked for a year and a half at one of the bulge bracket IBs as a quant with short stints at London. Have cleared CFA and FRM level 1s as well.
Currently running a $400k funded startup in the healthcare domain- am a co-founder and handling the business side, CEO essentially.

I am planning to apply for the fall-18 admission cycle and would probably be open only to very select schools: HBS,Stan-GSB,Sloan,Booth,Wharton,Kellogg,LBS,Insead.
I understand that my GPA is pretty low for most of these schools but I believe I have demonstrated examples of leadership- both at work and during my undergrad as well.
Other than the low GPA I believe have a fairly stellar academic trajectory (>95% in all examinations as well as the GMAT score).
I should also be able to get recommendation letters from alumni from some of the schools I listed.
Additionally I plan on working full-time at a non-profit next year for a few months.

Do I have a realistic shot at the schools listed? If not, I'd be open to a 1 year MS course in Finance where I can work on the GPA since I'm only 23 right now.

Thanks!

Your profile is very attractive and I am not concerned with your GPA. 7 at IIT isn't bad and combined with a high GMAT, you tick the academic potential box. The applicants like you who succeed at a top 10 put together a strong story both professionally and personally and have one other interesting aspect of their profile.

Since you are young, going for a masters is certainly an option, but I would rather have you get more work experience at your startup and beef up your profile in the meantime.

There are a few things I would recommend you to do and if you want to chat about it, send me an email scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the comments folks. I'll get back to running my startup for now, (hopefully scale it up) and get back to you guys when I start preparing my applications this time next year. Once again, thanks for the affirmations, much appreciated!
GMAT Club Bot