Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Got 680 in my first attempt. Need advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Chef . people will say that you can get a high score getting a lot of wrong answers . I strongly detest that. From my gmat test and even gmat prep experience to get a v40 you can make anywhere between 6-11 mistakes which are very well spaced out. Let us analyze 2 situations . Say a guy A makes only 1 mistake in the first 10 this would increase his level a lot. after this if he makes 3 mistakes each in the next 10 questions that would be 3*3 +1 =10 mistakes. Candidate B makes a mistake in every 4 questions that would again be 10 mistakes but his level could not rise that much because every time it rose he made a mistake.So you need a good streak of right answers to rise in level and no continous mistakes. But yeah an average scenario would be about 7-8 mistakes for v40 6-7 for 41 42 ,4-5 for 43-44, and definitely below 5 for above 45. Also from my experience once a person crosses the 40 mark and starts getting 42-43 his scores don't fluctuate that much it will vary from 40-45 at most. Also i made 4 guesses towards the end i might have got a couple of rights since i got a 40 or maybe my level was already high because the first 37 were solid or maybe the last ones were experiemental
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Got 680 in my first attempt. Need advice [#permalink]
Hi buddy,
I had the same issue, sometimes just giving it another try can help. Your RC was 51? that is incredible. Sometimes it just take another try I am sure you will kill it next time. Just to be safe go over the weak areas, and focus on them solely for the next attempt.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
Send PM
look at your 2. 670 (49,32) (this test) its very very realistic score and notice all the mistake you made. Its a good starting point because you probably made similar mistakes in the actual test. and make sure you don't make these mistakes in your next attempt.... also focusing on your weaknesses by doing practice question will also help.
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Got 680 in my first attempt. Need advice [#permalink]
Hi amitsjain1212,

I would suggest you to share your ESR on the forum if you have not already shared it.
That alone should give you the reason for the drop in your performance. The experts
on the forum can help you understand where you need to put your efforts in :)

To add to whatever jkolachi has said, I would recommend you to understand from the
GMATPrep Mocks which you weak sections were and to concentrate on the specific topics you
have made most mistakes in.

A review of all the mistakes in the quant section might help push the 49 score to 50/51.

Apologies for the delay in replying to this message!
Hope that helps you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your advice. Please find attached my ESR in my PDF format. Following is my analysis of my performance and where did I panic and did not do well.

Analysis:

1. I was doing very well on quant till I got stuck on a question. I needed to do a lot of calculations and the marker just did not work. I kept on raising my hand for a new marker but they did not see. It affected my stress levels in a negative manner and that is where I believe I missed on quant. I did multiple questions wrong there but recovered well to get a 49.
2. In Verbal I think I need to practice more under timing conditions. I have good conceptual knowledge but I could not follow the process during exam and I just went through the motions. if I can consciously apply process and then work on speed, I think I can improve it to 39-40 which I got in couple of prep exams.

Happy to know your thoughts.
Attachments

File comment: My ESR
Amit Jain_320099645_ESR.pdf [424.86 KiB]
Downloaded 89 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot. This helps. My plan is to get to Q50 as it has been my score throughout. And also reach V38-40 to get to 720-750. For that, I am going to now focus on practicing official questions under strict timing and environmental conditions. That is what I missed on to in the first time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi

I also got a 680 on my first attempt and have booked again for end of this month.

After going through a million debriefs, the approach I have decided to take is:

GMATClub Tests for Quant. will do one a day and thoroughly go through each solution and explanation.

For Verbal I will go through all the OG questions as well as the 700+ questions from this site.

Plan on doing one CAT every 2 days to improve on stamina.
Also plan on living and breathing the GMAT. To give it attention everyday inorder to achieve that 760+ target.

All the best!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts