GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas vs Stern for Investment Management

new topic post reply Update application status  

Haas or Stern for Investment Management?

• 47% [8]
  • 52% [9]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Haas vs Stern for Investment Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 17:17
After two rounds of joy/fun and waitlist heartbreaks I'm left with two options - Stern or Haas. Thrilled to have them but not sure which is best for me. Tried to be concise below. Insightful comments from current students/alums (particularly those in investment management) very much appreciated! Really any insightful comments appreciated!

Background: A year in investment banking and 3 years in corp strat at a F500

Goal: Investment Management (e.g., Asset Management, Hedge Fund, VC but def not PE); Sell-side research as a back up; would also potentially be open to tech in a ventures group or something like that

Haas:
+ Better pedigree than Stern, indisputably in the top 10
+ Seems like a super tight-knit community and very diverse in terms of background
+ Weather is amazing
+ Slightly cheaper, don't know about scholarship yet though which could be a major factor
- Farther from NYC where most jobs will be although I know there is a good amount of VC and some HF/AM jobs out west
- Partner is going to be in Boston and I think ultimately we'd both like to be on the east coast but things can change
- Not known for finance and could be more difficult to network/get in touch with relevant folks for recruiting (I think my path will be largely self-driven)

Stern:
+ In NYC and literally a stone's throw away from so many funds and AMs; also in NE more broadly where so many big AMs are and endowment funds
+ Closer to partner and most of my friends (everybody ends up NYC?)
+ Known for finance albeit predominantly Investment Banking and less Investment Management
+ Arguably a better finance curriculum but Haas does have Yellen which seems pretty dope
- Seems like a less tight community (read: still pretty good and much better than folks would tell you)
- More expensive and seemingly no scholarship (will ask again after Haas gets back to me or even now)
- Less prestige/ranking worry; worse brand? (still pretty good though, I think)
- Weather sucks but I grew up in the midwest so can handle

Going to admit weekend for Haas, unfortunately can't make Stern, but already feel like Haas is a better personality fit (could be wrong). I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to network a lot on my own given a more esoteric career path though and so the NYC location is pretty great. Would love to hear thoughts!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Haas vs Stern for Investment Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 17:58
Congratulations on two great admits! I thought no it will be hard to make a wrong decision.

I voted for Stern. I feel east coast has a stigma against west coast schools (GSB is the only exception) but most bankers and east coasters will consider Haas a cozy relaxed hangout. The whole east coast vs west coast thing.

With so many things for you happening in NYC, it seems odd to head to Berkeley just due to the school’s ranking. Stern used to be ranked a lot higher before the recent falling out with US News.

Anyway, I don’t know what will be a better MBA experience for you but I feel Stern will do a better job at putting you where you want to be long term. One opinion. It does not sound like you will like it though. ;-)

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 09:13
bb wrote:
Congratulations on two great admits! I thought no it will be hard to make a wrong decision.

I voted for Stern. I feel east coast has a stigma against west coast schools (GSB is the only exception) but most bankers and east coasters will consider Haas a cozy relaxed hangout. The whole east coast vs west coast thing.

With so many things for you happening in NYC, it seems odd to head to Berkeley just due to the school’s ranking. Stern used to be ranked a lot higher before the recent falling out with US News.

Anyway, I don’t know what will be a better MBA experience for you but I feel Stern will do a better job at putting you where you want to be long term. One opinion. It does not sound like you will like it though. ;-)

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your reply bb! I don't think there is much of a stigma of east vs. west coast in banking, or at least I never saw it but maybe you're right. Although to be fair I'm not looking at investment banking so might not be relevant even if one does exist. Hahaha I'm open to hearing whatever, I'm honestly looking at both options very closely. If I didn't want to do investment management I think I'd go to Haas and looking at older placement reports seems they used to do an ok job putting people in the field.

Anyone have other thoughts? People who voted Haas, care to share why?
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 13:26
Going to bump this one more time, really curious to hear more opinions.
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 00:40
I voted for Stern. Investment Management on its own is an unstructured recruiting cycle (compared to IB, Consulting, etc), so you will need all the help you can get.
I am sure both schools give you access to the biggest asset managers out there, but there is so much more that Stern and NYC can offer (specialized funds, Hedge Funds, smaller AM, etc).
Therefore, networking will be key, and Stern wins here hands down with all the alumni in the industry. Most of the alumni is in Finance, and access to other non-mba alumni such as part timers (already in industry), Stern undergrad alumni, etc. Additionally, finance Faculty at Stern is amazing. Anyone can only dream of taking a class with Damodaran.
In terms of culture (I did not apply to Haas, so not much I can offer there), but Stern has an amazing culture I did not expect in the heart of NYC. Hate to say it, but their culture is way better than Columbia's. And their EQ+IQ mantra is very real.
Thats my take on it. I got into Stern last year, I did not take it. I went to another program (currently a first year at an M7, and Stern was really hard to turn down). I am recruiting for IM, and have gotten to see the success Sternies have had in the field.
Best of luck! Stern is top 10 in my book, top 3 in Finance for sure!
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 08:13
maas wrote:
I voted for Stern. Investment Management on its own is an unstructured recruiting cycle (compared to IB, Consulting, etc), so you will need all the help you can get.
I am sure both schools give you access to the biggest asset managers out there, but there is so much more that Stern and NYC can offer (specialized funds, Hedge Funds, smaller AM, etc).
Therefore, networking will be key, and Stern wins here hands down with all the alumni in the industry. Most of the alumni is in Finance, and access to other non-mba alumni such as part timers (already in industry), Stern undergrad alumni, etc. Additionally, finance Faculty at Stern is amazing. Anyone can only dream of taking a class with Damodaran.
In terms of culture (I did not apply to Haas, so not much I can offer there), but Stern has an amazing culture I did not expect in the heart of NYC. Hate to say it, but their culture is way better than Columbia's. And their EQ+IQ mantra is very real.
Thats my take on it. I got into Stern last year, I did not take it. I went to another program (currently a first year at an M7, and Stern was really hard to turn down). I am recruiting for IM, and have gotten to see the success Sternies have had in the field.
Best of luck! Stern is top 10 in my book, top 3 in Finance for sure!

Thanks for your reply maas! Can I ask where you ended up?

In my research I'm seeing a lot of that come out too, seems like students at Stern definitely get looks for IM jobs albeit less than M7 schools. Seems to come down to the individual a lot of times for jobs but I have been hearing that other schools (CBS and Wharton) do a better job getting IM firms to come to campus while the process is more self-driven at Stern. Culture at Stern also seems like a selling point. Still doing diligence on Haas but Stern definitely seems strong. Thanks again for your insight!
Re: Haas vs Stern for Investment Management   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 08:13

Haas vs Stern for Investment Management

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap