Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [64]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [8]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [5]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Official Explanation

Read the Original Sentence Carefully, Looking for Errors:

The sentence as written contains no errors. The underlined portion consists of just nouns, which are part of a parallel construction. The sentence describes a new invention that can be used "to calculate the pressure ... and to detect the starting and ending points ...." Note that the two parts of this construction are parallel in form. Expect to choose (A), but check the other choices to make sure nothing was overlooked.

Scan and Group the Answer Choices:

A quick vertical scan of the choices reveals a 3-2 split, with (C), (D), and (E) beginning with "where," while (A) and (B) begin with "the." More analysis needs to be done to determine the significance of this split, however.

Eliminate Wrong Answer Choices:

(B) also demonstrates proper parallelism, but it is unnecessarily wordy. Points are by definition at specific locations, so saying that one can detect the locations of the points offers no more information than saying one can detect the points. The GMAT prefers concise wording whenever possible, and (B)'s wordiness offers no advantage over (A)'s conciseness. Eliminate (B).

(C), (D), and (E) all use the non-parallel "to calculate the pressure ... and to detect where X and Y are located." Parallel structure would be either "to calculate the pressure ... and to detect X and Y," as in (A), or to calculate how much pressure ... and to detect where X and Y .... Eliminate these three choices.

As expected, (A) is correct.

TAKEAWAY: Watch out for two-part constructions that require parallelism. They are common but easy to overlook when there are many words between the two parts of the construction.
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [4]
Send PM
Re: Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the [#permalink]
Kudos
Pokhran II wrote:
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

(A) the starting and ending points of strokes
(B) the locations of starting and ending points of strokes that are

I prefer A over B because "that" in B refers to strokes, which are not the sentence talking about not detectable via conventional 2D analysis but the starting and ending points of the strokes are not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
AJB77 wrote:
My answer is A. It is concise, uses the correct ellipses and has a parallel construction.

The original sentence talks of detecting the points not their location. By this logic, all other choices are out.

One thing that I have noticed is that the use of a pronoun modifier such as "which" or "that" is usually awkward when you have possessive nouns or noun phrases such as "the wings of birds" etc.

For instance, to me the "that" in the choice B does not clearly indicate if it modifies the strokes or the locations.

Excellent point.

I think A makes more sense, because the restrictive clause is directly modifying the stokes. Whereas the verb phrase modifies the locations.

Moreover, A has a parallelism between 2 things
to calculate the pressure used
and
to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable.

OE will definetly shed more light.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
Handwriting analysis has recently been boosted by the invention of 3D micro-profilometry, which can be used
    to calculate the pressure used at a crossover point such as the center of a figure eight, and
    to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.

(C) where starting and ending points are located, which are
(D) where starting and ending points are located
(E) where the starting and ending points are located, which are

Use of Where is absolutely meaningless since there is no location here and is also not parallel otherwise.
C, D and E can be eliminated.

(C), (D), and (E) all use the non-parallel "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y are located". Parallel structure would be either "to calculate the pressure . . . and to detect X and Y" or "to calculate how much pressure . . . and to detect where X and Y . . ."

I felt the verb are is required to connect the strokes to not detectable phrase and selected B.
Please explain why B is wrong and A is correct with no such verb.

I understand your take on parallelism.
But I wanted to bring people's attention one thing on modification.
to detect the starting and ending points of strokes not detectable via conventional 2D analysis.
where do you guys think "not detectable via conventional 2D analysis" modifies? Is it modifying strokes or the points?
I think there is a slight shift of meaning between the two.
C and E make pretty unattractive options, but at least they they don't generate a confusion over whether points or strokes are not detectable.
What do you guys think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos