Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619130 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3965 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Apple Inc
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Saupayan: Mazumdar
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition: A function g is defined, for all positive integers x [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
(1) g(g(p))+g(p)=195

We can't say if p is even or odd from this statement.
If p is even, g(p) = odd, and g(g(p)) will be even. even + odd can give 195
similarly, if p is odd, g(p) = even and g(g(p)) will be odd. 195 can be the result still.

Now, can we say directly at this step that statement 1 is insufficient? In this case, it turns out the answer is yes. But, I am not so sure we can say that directly without solving for p.
Because we may run into one of the following cases:
1. What if the final equation comes out to be the same irrespective of us considering p EVEN or ODD
2. What if we consider p as EVEN, then solve for p, and it turns out to be odd (or vice versa).
In either of the above cases, A alone will suffice. In this particular case, however, it turns out p = 11 (if we consider it to be odd), or p = 10 (if we consider p even). So, statement 1 is not sufficient

Quote:
(2) g(g(g(g(p)))) is even.

All that this statement tells us is p is even. It doesn't tell us anything about the value of p. So clearly, multiple possibilities exist. In fact, for any even p, the statement 2 will hold true.

But combining statement 2 with 1, we get that p can only be 10 (and not 11). So, they are together sufficient to answer the above question.
Answer: C
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition: A function g is defined, for all positive integers x [#permalink]
Kudos
First , notice that g of g will be even if x is even and odd if x is odd

Statement one --- Lets say x is even that means g of g of of p will be even and g of p (which is 4p-5) will be odd… so we have a even and a odd number adding up to 195 which is odd as well. Cool so p can be any even value . We can that the statement is insufficient at this point, but analyze further.

Lets say x is odd that means g of g of of p will be odd and g of p (which is 5p-15) will be even… so again, we have a even and a odd number adding up to 195 which is odd as well.

So p can be any particular (stress on this) even integer or a particular(stress on this) odd integer. Hence Insufficient

Again lets say, p is even … then g of g of p will be even … again g of g of (anything even) will be even .

lets say, p is odd … then g of g of p will be odd … again g of g of (anything odd) will be odd . But, per the statement it has to be even so we'll disregard this case.
Statement 2 simply means that p is even. Insufficient by itself.

On combining , lets solve with p as even
we get 20p-40 + 4p-5 = 195 …. 24p = 240 p = 10.

C it is.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts