Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 00:12 It is currently 05 May 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73032 [0]
Given Kudos: 18907
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How do I start a good pre-MBA career? [#permalink]
bakfed,

Again, your explanation is great. Thank you. It's good to know altruism still exists.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb,

I became a bio major with hopes of going to medical school, but I realized I like the financial markets much better. However, now I am having difficulties finding jobs with my degree and keep getting rejected by companies after interviews. All of them tell me I lack the experience, but what bothers me is that years and years of college education with great responsibility and broad knowledge in liberal arts doesn't help in the matter. I know for a fact a degree opens doors, but why does it have to take many years of doing unrelated jobs. I just believe a degree should assure an employer that the job can be done properly even without the so called work experience. I guess supply and demand also plays a great role. I'm told before the eighties an undergraduate degree could get you most positions. Also, the reason I want to do an MBA is that it is the only logical way for me to transition from science into business. Furthermore, I understand that with my degree in Biology, without getting the MBA, I will most likely never be given the chance to work for Goldman Sachs or another big shot company.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Hi. I dont know if my advice will be of any use to you since I am just an intern for a big company. I have worked with two multi billion dollar companies (one having over 40 k employees and the other with over 22k. My current job was very competitive to get into. However, once they called me for an interview, I made sure I nailed it. I think what all big employers are looking for is someone who is eager to learn and obviously have the academic capability to handle the tasks. Do what you have to do and tell them what you have to tell them to portray yourself as described above. I think thats something you may not have emphasized enough during the interview? Another thing they look for is someone who smiles a lot and exude positive energy. I am sure you know all of this + more with the help of google.

But how do you get companies to reach out for you? Well, you need to reach out to them. Show that you are interested in them and always aim high. You may have thought at some point during the 6 months of your work that your degree is useless but its not. If there are people out there with the same degree as yours and land decent jobs, why cant you? I think you should target specific companies that you want to work for and reach out to the managers in a friendly way somehow. At first, don't make it seem like you need a job, but just be friendly and spark a conversation. There are techniques in conversing that are very useful in conversation/interviews. Like for example, dont give the employer too much power or put them in a pedestal and make them seem like they are superior.

I know this post is a little bit blur but I hope it at least brings your hopes back up... like I said, Aim High and be confident.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed and others,

If you do end up reading this, I have a few more questions. I did some research and I realized I'd like to get into commercial real estate, but to do so, I need to pay my dues as a residential real estate broker first. Would a career as either a residential or a commercial real estate broker be too cheesy for the top business schools? I asked, because it is terribly easy to become a real estate broker and I don't know too many real estate brokers who've graduated from a big 10 school. Lastly, I am scared that friends and relatives will make fun of me for becoming a real estate broker, because greater things are expected from college grads.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Nothing is too cheesy for top b schools. But what all these schools look for are leaders. You have to somehow portray yourself as a great leader, someone who can lead and who is academically capable and can adjust to their extensive workload. Also, note that you need to have some years of work experience (ideally around three to four years). Top B schools want to see that you have exercised your leadership skills both in your work environment and outside of work.
1. Find something that you really want to do, something you are passionate about.
2. Fix up your resume and aim for any company related to the career of your choice. Right now, you need to get as much experience as you can.
3. Once you do get a job, make sure you are always looking for ways to exceed the employer's expectations. This will help you a ton! No matter what, make your job your number one priority. This will not only give you a confidence boost but it will also help you with your B-School application.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
same7 wrote:
bakfed and others,

If you do end up reading this, I have a few more questions. I did some research and I realized I'd like to get into commercial real estate, but to do so, I need to pay my dues as a residential real estate broker first. Would a career as either a residential or a commercial real estate broker be too cheesy for the top business schools? I asked, because it is terribly easy to become a real estate broker and I don't know too many real estate brokers who've graduated from a big 10 school. Lastly, I am scared that friends and relatives will make fun of me for becoming a real estate broker, because greater things are expected from college grads.

Unfortunately, I don't really understand the real estate market and can't really shed much insight into this. However, I will second Mahtab's opinions. B-schools truly do look for tomorrow's leaders. You need to show initiative and leadership ability in your application and you need to be able to do that in your interview. Where you end up getting you leadership skill is probably less important, as long as it's legit. So you'll be fine. If real estate is where you'd like to be, go for it and consider it a good avenue for yourself in making it into a top b-school.
GMAT Club Bot