Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [8]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: How the Gmat ripped me a new one. 710 the night before to 570 [#permalink]
Kudos
Wow. Feeling pretty bad for you bro. You need a retake - the score doesn't reflect the range you were in. Perhaps too many nerves - not enough glucose or carbs that day to keep you focused.

And overall --- confidence in strategy. Give it a shot -- try some study plans out there. I recommend the GMAT Pill 1 month study plan where you focus on one particular section for 5-7 days, master it before moving on. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [3]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
icyevo wrote:
Hello all.
Been a lurker and was hoping to post a gmat debrief to inspire, but today was not my day. I will try to write more once I digest wtf just happened.
So today I'm here to share my experience on the dark side of the moon.

I began studying in july. Took a mgmat Cat just to get a feel for what the gmat was and scored a 540 having about 35 min keft on each section.

I then signed up doe veritas. Took the course and here are my mock results

Sometime earl july MGMAT1 540
8/149Veritas 1. Q38 v36 610
8/30 veritas 2. Q45 v38 680
9/6 veritas 3. Q47 V37 680
9/10 gmat prep1 q48 v34 680
9/14 veritas 4 Q42 v42 680
9/17 gmatprep retake q49 v37 700
9/19 veritas 5 Q43 v40 680
9/19 veritas 6 q48 v42 710

9/20 official gmat q38 v29 570. ir7.

To say the least, I'm really dissapointed. Had a dream last night that I missed the time to take the test. I dont know whats worse.
To add, I didnt take the 2nd gmat prep test because I like the stats veritas gives yoy after each test, but now I regret it.
Pity kudos appreciated. Will be used for good cause.
Anyway, just some food for thought for people studying. This is not necessarily the worst case scenario but pretty damn close if you ask me.

Going to take it again before november. Hoping to match my mock score.

Cheers

One piece of advice - stick to official material as much as possible! AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! I know people constantly look for TOUGH/HARD/NERVE-WRECKING problems. But trust me, sticking to Official material is really the most efficient way to score good.

1. Do The OG: I've heard OG verbal 2nd edition and OG 13 have no overlap at all. So that already makes it a little over 1000 official questions.

2. Download the 'most comprehensive sets' by Souvik. There are three sets for SC, CR and RC, and are from GMATprep. That makes it anothr 500+ questions (and believe me they're all 650+ atleast and more in the 700-750 range, in my opinion ofcourse)

3. You can very intelligently set filters to search in the GMATClub forum. set a filter to 'official guide' and another filter to 'boldface' : this will show you all the boldface questions from GMATprep on GMATclub. It's a very powerful tool.

4. I'd say buy the GMATprep exam pack 1. So after that you'd have 4 official GMAT prep mock tests in your arsenal.

Still not satisfied?

5. You could buy GMATprep question pack 1 too. (although this one has more problem on the easier side of the spectrum)

That's enough official material already. And will fine tune your understanding in line with a GMAT test maker's. I love veritasprep and their questions are really amazing, but somehow sticking to official material served the purpose for me.

And just btw, I am no frankenstein : I started with a 490 on mock (i dont remember Q, but i was at V19) and i am yet to give gmat in october. But I feel really confident after having done so many official problems. Because now when i do an official question, I'm like 'hey i know what you're trying to test and how you're gonna try to trap me into wrong answer choices', and i've been right so far most of the times.

And for quant, just make some worthy contributions to GMATclub and you'll have people give you kudos very easily. I've reached 25 kudos twice, giving me 6 months of GMATclub test access. They have best quant material (and closest to official material) out there. I've given 8 quant mocks already, and plan to give 3-4 more before my exam.

So

TIME TO GO OFFICIAL FRIEND!

Originally posted by gauravkaushik8591 on 26 Sep 2014, 06:33.
Last edited by gauravkaushik8591 on 26 Sep 2014, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I definitely agree with the folks here- the score you received on exam day does not reflect what you can actually achieve. You got a lot of good tips here already, so I would just add that you should try refraining from taking practice tests the day before the GMAT. If you still feel an urge, then do it before 4PM. By then, you know what you know; if you try to do too much the day before, you may just end up stressing yourself out, which can impact your performance. Instead, create a test bubble--an environment where you can relax and stay focused.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
How the Gmat ripped me a new one. 710 the night before to 570 [#permalink]
Kudos
I share your pain! I was also doing well on veritas mock tests....just to totally fail the gmat on test day... I think working with official gmat material and utilizing forums helps a lot after taking a prep course, concepts start to sink in. All the best for you future preparation!

Originally posted by KlavdiaTeratai on 28 Sep 2014, 14:03.
Last edited by KlavdiaTeratai on 29 Sep 2014, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
Kudos
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:

One piece of advice - stick to official material as much as possible! AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! I know people constantly look for TOUGH/HARD/NERVE-WRECKING problems. But trust me, sticking to Official material is really the most efficient way to score good.

1. Do The OG: I've heard OG verbal 2nd edition and OG 13 have no overlap at all. So that already makes it a little over 1000 official questions.

2. Download the 'most comprehensive sets' by Souvik. There are three sets for SC, CR and RC, and are from GMATprep. That makes it anothr 500+ questions (and believe me they're all 650+ atleast and more in the 700-750 range, in my opinion ofcourse)

3. You can very intelligently set filters to search in the GMATClub forum. set a filter to 'official guide' and another filter to 'boldface' : this will show you all the boldface questions from GMATprep on GMATclub. It's a very powerful tool.

4. I'd say buy the GMATprep exam pack 1. So after that you'd have 4 official GMAT prep mock tests in your arsenal.

Still not satisfied?

5. You could buy GMATprep question pack 1 too. (although this one has more problem on the easier side of the spectrum)

That's enough official material already. And will fine tune your understanding in line with a GMAT test maker's. I love veritasprep and their questions are really amazing, but somehow sticking to official material served the purpose for me.

And just btw, I am no frankenstein : I started with a 490 on mock (i dont remember Q, but i was at V19) and i am yet to give gmat in october. But I feel really confident after having done so many official problems. Because now when i do an official question, I'm like 'hey i know what you're trying to test and how you're gonna try to trap me into wrong answer choices', and i've been right so far most of the times.

And for quant, just make some worthy contributions to GMATclub and you'll have people give you kudos very easily. I've reached 25 kudos twice, giving me 6 months of GMATclub test access. They have best quant material (and closest to official material) out there. I've given 8 quant mocks already, and plan to give 3-4 more before my exam.

So

TIME TO GO OFFICIAL FRIEND!

Hi,
I would like to know when is the perfect time to start off with the Official practice. Is it a good idea to start practising with it right away ? Also, don't we run the risk of running out of quality problems. Second, for the ''most comprehensive sets' by Souvik' - won't we get all the GMAT Prep questions divulged , hindering us to get a correct score estimation in the GMAT Prep tests ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 83
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos