Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 01:23 It is currently 11 May 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [2]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1611 [2]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
I got 270 On GMAT TEST. Should I give Up? [#permalink]
Kudos
Maryn wrote:
With zero preparation, I gave demo GMAT test and scored 270. With the score like this, should I practice further to aim for admissions this year or should I give up? I heard many people saying that whatever you Score on GMAT Practice you'll score approximately same on the test (Maybe 100-150 point increase). I have got three months and I can prep for 3-4 hours per day. Will I be able to score more than 600 or is it not possible?

Thanks!

Hi Maryn,

I would say 270 is not at all a bad score rather this is an indication that you have arrived. One of my friend scored 320 in his first attempt and later he scored a 730 in 5 months. So do not think of giving up as rewards are immense if you crack this exam. 4 hours a day and more on weekends are good enough hours to prepare. Start with some motivational videos as you will need this throughout your journey.

For GMAT, Start with a mock from mba.com and see where exactly you stand. Buy MGMAT guides for both Q and V and learn all the concepts. Then try questions on GMATclub in increasing order of difficulty. Make your own notes and review them frequently. Revision is the most important part of preparation.

You find GMATclub math and grammar book from Bunuel's signature..

Remember, Success is not an accident, it is an act.

QZ
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
Kudos
Bala0801 wrote:
I just took my free test in GMATPrep software and the score is Q45 V19. My actual GMAT is 50 days from now. please suggest methods to increase my score.

Thank You!

Hey folk,
You can check this link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/only-530-q45 ... 36699.html
It seems like someone has previously trod the very path which you now solemnly trod.

Good Luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: I got 270 On GMAT TEST. Should I give Up? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Maryn,

Many Test Takers are unhappy about their initial CAT Scores, but you really shouldn't be - that result is just a measure of your skills right now (when you've done ZERO preparation) and you'll end up learning content and Tactics over the next several months to help you to score higher. Raising a 270 to a 600+ will be a challenging task - and you'll have to make big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - but the GMAT is a consistent and predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. It's possible that you'll need more than 3 months of study time to hit that Score Goal, so you will have to be prepared to make some changes to your timeline if needed.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What is your goal score (is it 600 or something else)?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for the response, Rich.

1)My Goal is above 550-650
2) I'm planning to apply for University of Sactraton in November

My Study plan is to take maximum help from this club and study for 5 hours a day and more on weekends. I have purchased GRE official Guide plus online 2019. However, I should accept that my Quant skills need more work. I have passed BBA two years ago and ever since that I haven't touched any book concept or anything until today I took the exam. So I feel like I need a quant book which can give me very Basic concepts. Can you please suggest any good book for basic quant concepts?
I also, need to understand the concept and tactics which they test in GMAT. I'm very dishearted from this score but I want to give my best during these three months and let's just hope for the best.

Please suggest some good group ( on this forum) for tactics and tips for GMAT as well. Thanks!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Definitely don't give up! Your score can go up hundreds of points with some prep.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Maryn,

For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry.

Beyond that, it's worth noting that the GMAT is a big 'critical thinking' test, so part of your training over the next several months should be on learning Tactics, patterns and the little 'secrets' to the Test. To learn all of that in an efficient fashion, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led), so you should plan to look into the available options.

1) What is the application deadline for the Program that you're interested in? Are there multiple application Rounds?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
DO NOT GIVE UP!

I took a practice gmat exam at the end of May and scored a 400. I have been prepping with Magoosh for the past 5-6 weeks and today I took a manhattan GMAT practice test and scored a 520 (it could be higher, people say Manhattan throws tougher questions than the actual GMAT), I had a 120 score bump with just 5 weeks of studying 2-3 hours each day. I am very happy about today's results because the score I'm aiming for is between 570-600 (going for a masters in accounting). I fully expect to be either meet or exceed the score I'm wanting in the next 6 weeks (taking it in mid august). With all of that being said, 3 months with you doing 2-4 hours of review each day will be able to get you that 600+ score. Stay dedicated and stay positive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hindu1988, How long did you prepare? What was your study plan and some good material you used?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks again, Rich. The application deadline is November 1st. I’m not sure about the multiple applications rounds. Even if there were I would try my best to Apply for this round due to some personal reasons.
Today was my first day of GMAT preparation I studied for 6 hours. And I plan to study for 4-5 hours per day. I hope within three months I can get a decent score.
Btw thank you for the link I’ll create an account.
I have purchased GMAT official and Manhattan sets. I started with the basic “foundations”
But I wanted to ask is self-study a good choice or should I take help from someone? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Maryn wrote:
With zero preparation, I gave demo GMAT test and scored 270. With the score like this, should I practice further to aim for admissions this year or should I give up? I heard many people saying that whatever you Score on GMAT Practice you'll score approximately same on the test (Maybe 100-150 point increase). I have got three months and I can prep for 3-4 hours per day. Will I be able to score more than 600 or is it not possible?

Thanks!
Good luck Maryn. I can relate to you. I took my demo GMAT and scored a 340 yesterday. My target is 720 and I should say this to you. Do not give up. Focus, perseverance, and focus... You'll make it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11679 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Maryn,

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a number of different options. Unfortunately, no one here knows how YOU best learn. Thus, you can start off studying however you like, then we can see how well that leads to improvement. Since you have a plan for now, I suggest that you study however you choose for the next 2 weeks, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) and do your best. Once you have that score result, you should report back and we can discuss any adjustments that you might want to make to your studies.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33539 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Maryn wrote:

Thanks!

Best Books

For Concept Learning

Manhattan Quant Guides
Manhattan Verbal Guides
For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18

Strategies

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Manhattan CATs
3. Kaplan CATs
4. GMAT Club Quant CATs

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Don't give up Maryn, It's a matter of practice and focus, I improved my score from 300 to 510 and now aiming at the 760, and I know I can do it, just focus and plan well
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2120 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Go for it! Don't give up. This initial score just indicates that you need to improve on almost everything. It does not mean that you cannot score a 650+.

Get an overview of the entire syllabus. Understand the different question types. For example, Data sufficiency may be a new question type for you. One has to practice a lot before gaining expertise in mastering this question type. It does not come naturally to many. Only through practice one understands that there can be so many trap answers. Read my post on how to tackle DS questions & what goes behind it - you may refer to this link and update me on what is your current understanding of DS.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-suffici ... ufficiency

For problem solving one needs to use basic math + lots of reasoning skills. I think you need to prepare once before drawing any conclusion on suitability of whether you can appear for GMAT or not?

Similarly there are specific strategies to tackle various types of critical reasoning questions. SC & RC comes through regular practice.

I think you should prepare and give a mock again after getting a feel of entire syllabus!!

All the best!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Maryn wrote:

Thanks!

Don´t let yourself be discouraged mate! There are plenty of good ressources and people out there to help you get the scored you seek.

Even though 270 is far from an ideal starting position, this by no means bars you from reaching a +600 score. Given the timeframe you have for prepartion I am fairly positive you can make it.

Best regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Send PM
Hello Maryn, I might understand how you feel because on my first practice test, I scored 280. Thirty days later I scored 430. It's not going to be difficult to step up to the 400 range, but from there it takes more time to improve.

Best wishes!

Originally posted by MrJglass on 30 Jun 2018, 13:25.
Last edited by MrJglass on 09 Jul 2018, 14:51, edited 2 times in total.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16670 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Maryn,

You should never give up! You never studied the GMAT so your score of 270 is not a good basis to judge you can improve 100-150 points from 270. You can improve 100-150 points from your first score after 1 month preparation.

Since we are specialized in math, we can give you advice on math only.
Based on the score, it seems like you need to work on your basic math skills first before studying GMAT Math.
Also, the other reason for your low score is that you don't seem to understand how GMAT Math works.

In fact, there are two important things you need to know about GMAT Math;
Firstly, GMAT is a logic test, not a general math test. That is, you need to learn the logic to tackle GMAT questions.
You can still solve GMAT questions with the conventional method.
If you aim to hit a high score in quant, the conventional method is time-consuming and tends to be inefficient. You may hit Q45 or above with the conventional way, but it is extremely difficult to hit Q49-51. Hence, we strongly recommend learning the logic, which you can learn from our online course.

The other important factor is to practi​ce​ the most current GMAT questions. A number of questions you get to practi​ce​ online tend to be out-of-date and they ​might ​not ​be ​that relevant to the current type​s​ of GMAT questions. If you are not used to the current type​s​ of questions, this could also be a reason to why your score is not improving. However, all the questions you get to practi​ce​ from our online course are developed based on the current type of GMAT questions.

Most importantly, we can help you with the two key factors if you want to succeed in GMAT,
You may try our Free Resources including 4-hour video lesson, Diagnostic Test and Mock Test.
​www.mathrevolution.com ​

In addition, please refer to our GMAT Club posts to find more about our strategies: Link

If you have any further question, you can always reach out to us at info@mathrevolution.com

Best regards,

Jin
Math Revolution
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2