Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [9]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V49
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22070 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [3]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: I got a 780 - Q49 V49 [#permalink]
Kudos
Gratz on the 780. All the best going forward.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
theGisforGorilla wrote:
I couldn't fall asleep until 6 am, and was certain that I was going to bomb. I tried cancelling/rescheduling, but it's only possible if requested more than 24h before the exam. So, energy drink in hand, I bit the bullet... and it looks like my journey is finally over. My unofficial report has given me a 780 - Q49, V49, IR8. My target score was 780, but I'm not nearly as elated as I thought I would be. At least it's finally over.

Quant: I shouldn't sin by saying I'm disappointed by my quant score... but I am concerned by percentile imbalance. I'd probably be happier with a Q50 V48 than my current score. Not counting my first mock of Q48 (with ZERO preparation), I scored Q50 on every single mock after that.
On the real GMAT, I had confirmed the final question with 0:00:02 on the clock and the computer lagged, so maybe it registered question 31 as a "did not answer", thus tanking my quant score? The computers were notoriously laggy, and even the guy in the reception complained about the massive network delay messing up his webcam and palm scanner (something about remote connections abroad). Also, I'm puzzled by Q49 V49 resulting in 780, and not 790. I guess I will ask Pearson about both of these issues. Do you have to buy an ESR to find out whether they classified any questions as "did not answer"?

Verbal: totally unexpected. I guess I got unlucky on quant and lucky on verbal.

IR: I had actually done hundreds of IR practice questions in preparation. On the real GMAT, I was faced with the toughest wretch of an IR multi-source-reasoning triplicate I had seen in my entire life - but I must've either guessed correctly, or gotten an IR8 with 9/12 questions correct.

Overall, looks like I had a real shot at an 800, had I gotten more than 3 hours of sleep today. The best advice to my past self would have been: sleeping pills (which I've never taken in my life) - for this one occasion.

Thank you to the lovely & welcoming community here at GMATclub, it's been a tremendous asset, as well just as a pleasant place to be. I will be happy to answer all questions.

I am assuming that you are taking the GMAT exam for getting into the top Business schools. It serves as a means to an end.
I mostly suggest my clients to target the school and then target a score that takes care of the statistical requirements of that program. Of course the claims are that the process is holistic but who's willing to take a risk like that with an increasing competition! 780 is a brilliant score and I have no doubt that admissions team would look at it in positive light. I would hope that you'd take time out of your schedule to celebrate the accomplishment. Personally curious though-

How did you feel about the pressure built up over the months?
Did you set target scores on your way to a 780? Did you use some specific resources or just official material?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Businessconquerer wrote:
I am assuming that you are taking the GMAT exam for getting into the top Business schools. It serves as a means to an end.
I mostly suggest my clients to target the school and then target a score that takes care of the statistical requirements of that program. Of course the claims are that the process is holistic but who's willing to take a risk like that with an increasing competition! 780 is a brilliant score and I have no doubt that admissions team would look at it in positive light. I would hope that you'd take time out of your schedule to celebrate the accomplishment. Personally curious though-

Did you set target scores on your way to a 780? Did you use some specific resources or just official material?

Yes, it's for bschool.

Not much of a pressure buildup. I just studied until I figured I was ready, then booked an exam with 2 days' notice. Not until the exam was bought and paid for did I feel any pressure. Those final two days, however, were quite nerve-wracking.

I did not set a "goal". Instead, I set up a system that would be effective for learning, and purposefully withheld/banned myself from taking mock exams until I felt ready. Months of preparation later, I haphazardly took an official mock and had gotten a 740 (which I was angry at; I knew my CR and SC were unready), I should not have taken this mock exam so soon. Then, a 770 (with a bunch of preventable mistakes), at which point I knew I was ready - I just needed to work on the common theme among these preventable mistakes. Not until literally 2 weeks before the exam did I set myself a "goal": >=780 - want; 760 - good enough; 750 - must retake exam. Had I made the mistake of setting a goal very early on... I probably would've set myself a goal of 740, and asymptotically approached that number. Instead, I got a 780, and only didn't get a 790 because of bad luck. Expectation management matters!

Quant: Once I was consistently getting 19/20 questions correct in a category (untimed), I moved to the next one. Repeat for the twenty (?) different chapters of quant. And by untimed, I mean 20 minutes per question if necessary. Used TTP, Bunuel, OG... but mostly owe it to my excellent math teachers at regular school. TTP is excellent if you are learning for the first time (one or two chapters were a novelty to me); Bunuel quant questions - like LSAT verbal questions - are significantly harder than GMAT questions, and I do recommend practicing with harder questions (just ignore the timer); OG questions are obviously the closest to the real thing, but limited in number. In the final weeks, I did nothing but timed OG sets.
Verbal: Read the entirety of MGMAT verbal before doing a single practice question, and did TTP's fantastic SC section. Then I just did LSATs (untimed) over and over again. Never did third-party verbal questions (except TTP SC), only did OG verbal and LSAT questions. In the final weeks, I did nothing but timed OG sets.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nice work!

Apparently, on test day, you didn't have any of the mental block issues you experienced when taking that recent practice test.

It's been fun playing the GMAT game with you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 470 Q27 V28
GMAT 2: 590 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 600 Q39 V34
GRE 1: Q166 V159
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats on the 780.
How did u improve IR and which questions did u practice?
What was your process after spending 20 minutes per question?
Did u maintain an error log or note down careless mistake?

Originally posted by Afn24 on 30 Apr 2023, 09:33.
Last edited by Afn24 on 30 Apr 2023, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Nice work!

Apparently, on test day, you didn't have any of the mental block issues you experienced when taking that recent practice test.

It's been fun playing the GMAT game with you.

Indeed not. The fatigue dulled me a lot on quant, and I just couldn't "notice" solutions to geometry questions, for example. But I never locked up. I suppose I did better on verbal because it's more formulaic/has only one possible path to a correct answer.

Thank you, and likewise. Your advice has been very helpful on this journey ;)

Afn24 wrote:
Congrats on the 780.
How did u improve IR and which questions did u practice?
What was your process after spending 20 minutes per question?
Did u maintain an error log or note down careless mistake?

Thanks.

I'm an engineer with formal experience in scientific research. IR is exactly the kind of stuff I had to do academically and professionally. That said, the online/wiley app for the Official Guide has a lot of IR questions, and you really have to do IR on a computer. I also own the Manhattan Prep All the GMAT books, so I read the IR book, and did a bunch of MGMAT Atlas IR question sets. They're harder than the OG ones.
PS: Surprisingly often, IR will have question sets where the correct answer is FALSE FALSE FALSE or TRUE TRUE TRUE. I went through my education with test-makers avoiding such patterns, but the GMAT creators do not avoid it.

By "20 minutes per question", I meant to emphasise that I would do the questions completely untimed. If a single question took me 20m, I would not skip it. I also tried very hard never to look up answers, but instead to go through the upheaval of discovering the answer. Gruelling, but worth it.

Error logs are extremely important. I wrote down every question I had gotten wrong, along with the date, question type (e.g., Q-Inequalities, or CR-Evaluate Argument) and the mistake type (Don't know how to do, know how to do but failed to notice, careless mistake, misread question). It's especially important when you look at you error log, and you see that 90% of your errors are inequality data sufficiency. Then, you can easily get +30 points by just focusing on that problem. Or, in my case, virtually all verbal mistakes were CR-Evaluate and CR-Assumption. It's funny how clumped-together the mistakes usually are, but you'd never notice unless you had written it down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
theGisforGorilla wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:

Yes, it's for bschool.

Not much of a pressure buildup. I just studied until I figured I was ready, then booked an exam with 2 days' notice. Not until the exam was bought and paid for did I feel any pressure. Those final two days, however, were quite nerve-wracking.

I did not set a "goal". Instead, I set up a system that would be effective for learning, and purposefully withheld/banned myself from taking mock exams until I felt ready. Months of preparation later, I haphazardly took an official mock and had gotten a 740 (which I was angry at; I knew my CR and SC were unready), I should not have taken this mock exam so soon. Then, a 770 (with a bunch of preventable mistakes), at which point I knew I was ready - I just needed to work on the common theme among these preventable mistakes. Not until literally 2 weeks before the exam did I set myself a "goal": >=780 - want; 760 - good enough; 750 - must retake exam. Had I made the mistake of setting a goal very early on... I probably would've set myself a goal of 740, and asymptotically approached that number. Instead, I got a 780, and only didn't get a 790 because of bad luck. Expectation management matters!

Quant: Once I was consistently getting 19/20 questions correct in a category (untimed), I moved to the next one. Repeat for the twenty (?) different chapters of quant. And by untimed, I mean 20 minutes per question if necessary. Used TTP, Bunuel, OG... but mostly owe it to my excellent math teachers at regular school. TTP is excellent if you are learning for the first time (one or two chapters were a novelty to me); Bunuel quant questions - like LSAT verbal questions - are significantly harder than GMAT questions, and I do recommend practicing with harder questions (just ignore the timer); OG questions are obviously the closest to the real thing, but limited in number. In the final weeks, I did nothing but timed OG sets.
Verbal: Read the entirety of MGMAT verbal before doing a single practice question, and did TTP's fantastic SC section. Then I just did LSATs (untimed) over and over again. Never did third-party verbal questions (except TTP SC), only did OG verbal and LSAT questions. In the final weeks, I did nothing but timed OG sets.

Congrats on this humongous score!
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
theGisforGorilla wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Indeed not. The fatigue dulled me a lot on quant, and I just couldn't "notice" solutions to geometry questions, for example. But I never locked up. I suppose I did better on verbal because it's more formulaic/has only one possible path to a correct answer.

Interesting.

Quote:
Thank you, and likewise. Your advice has been very helpful on this journey ;)

Sure thing.

Quote:
By "20 minutes per question", I meant to emphasise that I would do the questions completely untimed. If a single question took me 20m, I would not skip it. I also tried very hard never to look up answers, but instead to go through the upheaval of discovering the answer. Gruelling, but worth it.

Yes! Totally worth it.

Quote:
Error logs are extremely important. I wrote down every question I had gotten wrong, along with the date, question type (e.g., Q-Inequalities, or CR-Evaluate Argument) and the mistake type (Don't know how to do, know how to do but failed to notice, careless mistake, misread question). It's especially important when you look at you error log, and you see that 90% of your errors are inequality data sufficiency. Then, you can easily get +30 points by just focusing on that problem. Or, in my case, virtually all verbal mistakes were CR-Evaluate and CR-Assumption. It's funny how clumped-together the mistakes usually are, but you'd never notice unless you had written it down.

Great info.
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow, fantastic score. Congratulations!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72899 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. Amazing job!
I guess I’m glad you did not rescheduled

Did you take the test at the test center or online?

Amazing job 😍

theGisforGorilla wrote:
I couldn't fall asleep until 6 am, and was certain that I was going to bomb. I tried cancelling/rescheduling, but it's only possible if requested more than 24h before the exam. So, energy drink in hand, I bit the bullet... and it looks like my journey is finally over. My unofficial report has given me a 780 - Q49, V49, IR8. My target score was 780, but I'm not nearly as elated as I thought I would be. At least it's finally over.

Quant: I shouldn't sin by saying I'm disappointed by my quant score... but I am concerned by percentile imbalance. I'd probably be happier with a Q50 V48 than my current score. Not counting my first mock of Q48 (with ZERO preparation), I scored Q50 on every single mock after that.
Interestingly, I'm fairly sure that my GMAT did not have a single D answer on any of the DS questions. I guess I shouldn't have guessed D on question 27; I was fairly sure it was B but guessed D anyway...

IR: I had actually done hundreds of IR practice questions in preparation. On the real GMAT, I was faced with the toughest wretch of an IR multi-source-reasoning triplicate I had seen in my entire life - but I must've either guessed correctly, or gotten an IR8 with 9/12 questions correct.

Overall, looks like I had a real shot at an 800, had I gotten more than 3 hours of sleep today. The best advice to my past self would have been: sleeping pills (which I've never taken in my life) - for this one occasion.

Thank you to the lovely & welcoming community here at GMATclub, it's been a tremendous asset, as well just as a pleasant place to be. I will be happy to answer all questions.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got a 780 - Q49 V49 [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Wow. Amazing job!
I guess I’m glad you did not rescheduled

Did you take the test at the test center or online?

Amazing job 😍

Thanks! Luckily, I live within walking distance of a test centre. I think the online variant is too risky.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
theGisforGorilla wrote:

Interestingly, I'm fairly sure that my GMAT did not have a single D answer on any of the DS questions. I guess I shouldn't have guessed D on question 27; I was fairly sure it was B but guessed D anyway...

Congrats for the stellar score !

Can you share some tips on the resources you used to practice RC and SC.

I read that you stuck to Official Resources and to TTP. Are these enough to master RC, or do you recommend LSATs as well ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Obscurus wrote:
Congrats for the stellar score !

Can you share some tips on the resources you used to practice RC and SC.

I read that you stuck to Official Resources and to TTP. Are these enough to master RC, or do you recommend LSATs as well ?

I can't comment on TTP RC and CR, I only tried TTP SC.
You are guaranteed to run out of OG Verbal questions - their only downside is their limited quantity.

RC: In my opinion, LSATs are the best resource for learning RC because they are more difficult. However, when you move from the learning phase to the revising/reinforcing phase, then you should switch to OG Verbal questions.
(I also read the Manhattan Prep 'All the Verbal' book).

CR: LSATs are primarily the best for RC, but they are also useful for CR.

SC: Manhattan Prep 'All the Verbal'; TTP SC course; GMAT Ninja videos - these all helped a lot. You need to build an intuition specifically for GMAT SC questions. After you do a few hundred SCs - they will become formulaic. (PS: it helps to already have had hundreds of idioms memorised...)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts