GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60687
If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:07
9
92
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:54) correct 53% (02:03) wrong based on 1862 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60687
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:10
10
19
SOLUTION

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive


(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Note that we are asked to determine which MUST be true, not could be true.

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

Basically the question asks: if \(x<-5\) which of the following is true?

I. \(5<x\) --> not true as \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

III. \(-(x+5)>0\) --> \(x<-5\) --> true.

Answer: D.
_________________
General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2012
Posts: 648
Location: India
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:56
3
If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III



Sol:The given expression can be 4<(7-x)/3 (multiply by 3) we get
12<7-x or x<-5

St 1 can be ruled out

St 3 must be true So Option A,C and E can be ruled out

Consider st 2 |x+3|>2

When x+3 >/ 0 then |x+3|= x+3 and also x>/-3

or x+3> 2 or x>-1 but our condition is x>/-3 so x> -1 (because if x>-1 then x surely is greater than -3)

When x+3 <0 then |x+3|=- (x+3) and the st2 equation becomes x+3<-2 or x<-5 and thus x<-5 (because of x<-5 then x <-3 as well)

So we have x >-1 or x<-5 ------> In this range the St 2 will hold good. But we are given that x<-5 thus St 2 is true

Ans is D....
_________________

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 227
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 07:12
4
Solved the equation to get x < -5
As the question says must be true, it means that for any below -5 the statements have to hold true. So just assumed it to be -6 in every statement

Answer D
Time Taken 1:25
Difficulty level 550
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GPA: 3.12
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 08:42
1
Answer is D
As statement 1 can be ruled out as from question statementx<-5
statement 2 holds ok as modulus of lx+3l>2 : as from question statementx<-5
staement 3 is also correct as from question statementx<-5 therefore multiplication of 2 negative term is positive
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 17
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 05:49
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive


(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Note that we are asked to determine which MUST be true, not could be true.

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

Basically the question asks: if \(x<-5\) which of the following is true?

I. \(5<x\) --> not true as \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

III. \(-(x+5)>0\) --> \(x<-5\) --> true.

Answer: D.






For (2):
X could be a positive number or a negative number, if x is a negative number than solving inequality would result into X < -5 which is true because it is the exact same inequality which has been given in the question.

But if x would be positive that solving inequality would result into x >-1 which would make the option (2) not true. So in other words when x is negative than statement (2) is true but when x is positive than statement (2) is not true. So statement (2) is not ALWAYS true.


Can you please tell me why im unable to get the right answer? what is flaw in my reasoning?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60687
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 03:28
1
2
mulhinmjavid wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive


(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Note that we are asked to determine which MUST be true, not could be true.

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

Basically the question asks: if \(x<-5\) which of the following is true?

I. \(5<x\) --> not true as \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

III. \(-(x+5)>0\) --> \(x<-5\) --> true.

Answer: D.






For (2):
X could be a positive number or a negative number, if x is a negative number than solving inequality would result into X < -5 which is true because it is the exact same inequality which has been given in the question.

But if x would be positive that solving inequality would result into x >-1 which would make the option (2) not true. So in other words when x is negative than statement (2) is true but when x is positive than statement (2) is not true. So statement (2) is not ALWAYS true.


Can you please tell me why im unable to get the right answer? what is flaw in my reasoning?


It should be other way around.

To elaborate more. Question uses the same logic as in the examples below:

If \(x=5\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x>-10

Answer is E (x>-10), because as x=5 then it's more than -10.

Or:
If \(-1<x<10\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x<120

Again answer is E, because ANY \(x\) from \(-1<x<10\) will be less than 120 so it's always true about the number from this range to say that it's less than 120.

Or:
If \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x>1
B. x>-1
C. |x|<1
D. |x|=1
E. |x|^2>1

As \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) then ANY \(x\) from these ranges would satisfy \(x>-1\). So B is always true.

\(x\) could be for example -1/2, -3/4, or 10 but no matter what \(x\) actually is it's IN ANY CASE more than -1. So we can say about \(x\) that it's more than -1.

On the other hand for example A is not always true as it says that \(x>1\), which is not always true as \(x\) could be -1/2 and -1/2 is not more than 1.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 109
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 01:03
Bunuel wrote:
mulhinmjavid wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive


(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Note that we are asked to determine which MUST be true, not could be true.

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

Basically the question asks: if \(x<-5\) which of the following is true?

I. \(5<x\) --> not true as \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

III. \(-(x+5)>0\) --> \(x<-5\) --> true.

Answer: D.






For (2):
X could be a positive number or a negative number, if x is a negative number than solving inequality would result into X < -5 which is true because it is the exact same inequality which has been given in the question.

But if x would be positive that solving inequality would result into x >-1 which would make the option (2) not true. So in other words when x is negative than statement (2) is true but when x is positive than statement (2) is not true. So statement (2) is not ALWAYS true.


Can you please tell me why im unable to get the right answer? what is flaw in my reasoning?


It should be other way around.

To elaborate more. Question uses the same logic as in the examples below:

If \(x=5\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x>-10

Answer is E (x>-10), because as x=5 then it's more than -10.

Or:
If \(-1<x<10\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x<120

Again answer is E, because ANY \(x\) from \(-1<x<10\) will be less than 120 so it's always true about the number from this range to say that it's less than 120.

Or:
If \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x>1
B. x>-1
C. |x|<1
D. |x|=1
E. |x|^2>1

As \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) then ANY \(x\) from these ranges would satisfy \(x>-1\). So B is always true.

\(x\) could be for example -1/2, -3/4, or 10 but no matter what \(x\) actually is it's IN ANY CASE more than -1. So we can say about \(x\) that it's more than -1.

On the other hand for example A is not always true as it says that \(x>1\), which is not always true as \(x\) could be -1/2 and -1/2 is not more than 1.

Hope it's clear.



I still don't understand the application of this, to the question. Sure, I understand that if x = 5 its > -10.

But, here, we get two different cases. Solving the question stem we get x < -5.

In "II" we have that x is either x < -5 or x > -1. If I plug in a value where x > -1. Say x = 3. The equation doesn't hold?

We get 4 < (7-3)/3 --> 12 < 4. Not true?

How can this be a valid answer choice then

Edit: Don't know if this is how you should go about doing it, correct me if I'm wrong:

If we have \(x < -5.\)

Plugging in a value < -5, say -6 into II: \(|-6+3| > 2\). This holds true, aka sufficient
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 3230
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 02:17
1
1
Quote:
I still don't understand the application of this, to the question. Sure, I understand that if x = 5 its > -10.

But, here, we get two different cases. Solving the question stem we get x < -5.

In "II" we have that x is either x < -5 or x > -1. If I plug in a value where x > -1. Say x = 3. The equation doesn't hold?

We get 4 < (7-3)/3 --> 12 < 4. Not true?

How can this be a valid answer choice then

Edit: Don't know if this is how you should go about doing it, correct me if I'm wrong:

If we have \(x < -5.\)

Plugging in a value < -5, say -6 into II: \(|-6+3| > 2\). This holds true, aka sufficient


Hi erikvm,

Let me explain the solution to you using the representation on number line. We need to evaluate if for every value in the range of the question statement i.e. x < -5, do the statements hold true.

Refer the below diagram for the range given to us in the question & the other statements:

Image


Question Statement: The question statement gives us the range as x < -5. We need to see for every value of x < -5, are the inequality in the statements true.

Statement-I: St-I gives us the range as x > 5. We see that this range does not hold true for any value of x. Hence, it can't be true.

Statement-II: St-II gives us the range as x > -1 or x < -5. We see that for every value of x < -5 (i.e. the inequality in the question statement), we can write |x +3| > 2 holds. Hence this is a must be true statement.

Statement-III: St-III gives us the range as x < -5 which is nothing but the range in question statement. Hence this is a must be true statement.

Therefore, st-II & III are true for every value of x < -5 and hence must be true statements.

Hope its clear :-D

Regards
Harsh
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 109
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 06:12
1
Thanks, I'm just abit confused about the whole "must be true". I know how absolute values work, but \(|x+3| > 2\) provides me with 2 different values for x, so I just assumed that this statement was not true because we have two different possibilities for X
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 10021
Location: Pune, India
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 22:47
8
1
3
erikvm wrote:
Thanks, I'm just abit confused about the whole "must be true". I know how absolute values work, but \(|x+3| > 2\) provides me with 2 different values for x, so I just assumed that this statement was not true because we have two different possibilities for X


Actually, \(|x+3| > 2\) provides you infinite values of x. It gives you two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1.
The inequality implies that distance of x from -3 is more than 2. So x can lie to the right of -1 or to the left of -5. (Draw it on a number line to see). Hence you get two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1

The question gives you that x < -5. So x will take any value less than -5. When it does, for all such values \(|x+3| > 2\) will always be true because it holds for all values such that x < -5. It holds for some more values too (x > -1) but we don't care about those. All values that x can take in our question, for those \(|x+3| > 2\) will always work. So \(|x+3| > 2\) must be true.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 176
Location: India
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:26
Why can statement 1 not be true? if we consider x to be negative, the question stem gives us x>5 as a possible result of x.

Thank you.
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8332
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:31
BobbyAssassinCross wrote:
Why can statement 1 not be true? if we consider x to be negative, the question stem gives us x>5 as a possible result of x.

Thank you.



Hi BobbyAssassinCross,
look at the highlighted portion..
initially you start with x as -ive and then get a +ive value for x as x>5..
so contradictory solution..
hence NOT possible
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 134
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE: Other (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 23:46
Hi Bunuel can we think of 2nd statement as a Big set of ( 0,1,2,3,4,5 and also -6,-7,-8...) and what we need for must be true is a subset (-6, -7, -8...) ?
Is this correct?
_________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before
.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60687
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 01:09
1
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hi Bunuel can we think of 2nd statement as a Big set of ( 0,1,2,3,4,5 and also -6,-7,-8...) and what we need for must be true is a subset (-6, -7, -8...) ?
Is this correct?


We are not given that x is necessarily an integer.

For |x + 3| > 2 to hold true, x < -5 or x > -1 must be true.

We know that x < -5, so |x + 3| > 2, will be true.

Check other similar questions from Trickiest Inequality Questions Type: Confusing Ranges (part of our Special Questions Directory).
_________________
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4233
Location: Canada
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 15:48
1
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III


First, let's deal with the given inequality.
4 < (7-x)/3
Multiply both sides by 3 to get: 12 < 7 - x
Add x to both sides: x + 12 < 7
Subtract 12 from both sides to get: x < -5

So, if x < -5, which of the following statements MUST be true?

Aside: When dealing with "MUST be true" questions, we can eliminate a statement if we can find an instance where it is not true.

I. 5 < x (MUST this be true?)
No!
If x < -5, then it could be the case that x = -7, and -7 is NOT greater than 5
So, statement I need NOT be true.

II. |x+3| > 2 (MUST this be true?)
The answer is Yes. Here's why:
IMPORTANT CONCEPT: |x - k| represents the DISTANCE between x and k on the number line.
So, for example, we can think of |4 - 7| as the distance between 4 and 7 on the number line.
Notice that |4 - 7| = |-3| = 3, and 3 is indeed the distance between 4 and 7 on the number line.

Now let's examine |x+3|
We can rewrite this as |x - (-3)|
This represents the DISTANCE between x and -3 on the number line.
So, the inequality |x-(-3)| > 2 is stating that the DISTANCE between x and -3 on the number line is GREATER THAN 2
Well, since we're told that x < -5, we can be certain that the DISTANCE between x and -3 on the number line is definitely GREATER THAN 2
[If you're not convinced, sketch a number line, and place a big dot at -3. Then choose ANY value for x such that x < -5. You'll see that the distance between x and -3 is greater than 2]
So, statement II MUST be true.

III. -(x+5) is positive
This is the same as saying -(x+5) > 0 (MUST this be true?)
The answer is Yes. Here's why:
We're told that x < -5
If we add 5 to both sides we get x+5 < 0
Now, if we multiply both sides by -1, we get -(x+5) > 0
[aside: notice that, since I multiplied both sides by a negative value, I reversed the direction of the inequality]
As we can see, statement III MUST be true.

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2806
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 12:02
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III


Simplifying the given inequality we have:

4 < (7 - x)/3

12 < 7 - x

5 < -x

-5 > x

Since x is less than -5, we see that |x+3| > 2.

Also, since x < -5, we see that x + 5 will always be negative and thus -(x+5) will always be positive.

Answer: D
_________________

Jeffrey Miller

Head of GMAT Instruction

Jeff@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
181 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2019
Posts: 31
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2019, 00:39
Bunuel wrote:
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hi Bunuel can we think of 2nd statement as a Big set of ( 0,1,2,3,4,5 and also -6,-7,-8...) and what we need for must be true is a subset (-6, -7, -8...) ?
Is this correct?


We are not given that x is necessarily an integer.

For |x + 3| > 2 to hold true, x < -5 or x > -1 must be true.

We know that x < -5, so |x + 3| > 2, will be true.

Check other similar questions from Trickiest Inequality Questions Type: Confusing Ranges (part of our Special Questions Directory).


Hi Bunuel :

i had a question about the above reasoning. From statement II we get two ranges i.e. x< -5 (which conforms to the inequality given in the question stem) and x>-1 which is a new one based on the option. My observations here is that despite two ranges of X coming off option II, we can only take the one that conforms to the constraint (x<-5) and see if the entire expression (| x + 3| > 2 ) holds true, which it does when we consider any value of X <-5 .

Is this correct ?

Thanks & Regards,
Deeuce
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 60687
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2019, 00:48
deeeuce wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Prashant10692 wrote:
Hi Bunuel can we think of 2nd statement as a Big set of ( 0,1,2,3,4,5 and also -6,-7,-8...) and what we need for must be true is a subset (-6, -7, -8...) ?
Is this correct?


We are not given that x is necessarily an integer.

For |x + 3| > 2 to hold true, x < -5 or x > -1 must be true.

We know that x < -5, so |x + 3| > 2, will be true.

Check other similar questions from Trickiest Inequality Questions Type: Confusing Ranges (part of our Special Questions Directory).


Hi Bunuel :

i had a question about the above reasoning. From statement II we get two ranges i.e. x< -5 (which conforms to the inequality given in the question stem) and x>-1 which is a new one based on the option. My observations here is that despite two ranges of X coming off option II, we can only take the one that conforms to the constraint (x<-5) and see if the entire expression (| x + 3| > 2 ) holds true, which it does when we consider any value of X <-5 .

Is this correct ?

Thanks & Regards,
Deeuce


Yes. We are given that x < -5 and the question asks: is |x + 3| > 2 true? For any x which is more than -5, |x + 3| > 2 IS true. So, |x + 3| > 2 must be true given that x < -5.
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 13 Oct 2019
Posts: 19
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: Krannert '22
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Education)
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 09:17
Bunuel wrote:
If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III


First, solve the quetion stem instead of going through the options first.
From question stem,
4 < [7-x][/3]
12<7-x
x< -5

Try to match this value with the options given in the question now.

I. 5<x : This could never be true because we already have a range which is x< -5
II. |x+3|>2 : Do not be fearful of the absolute value bars. A very simple way to test this inequality is to test with some values first, in case you want to avoid the tacky algebra.
Because x < -5,
try x = -6,
|-6+3| = 3.
try x = -12,
|-12+3| = 9
In either case, the answer is >2. Therefore, this ineuqality appears to be holding true universally.

III. -(x+5) is positive:
Because x < -5,
try x = -6,
-(-6+5) = 1.
try x = -12,
-(-12+3) = 9
In either case, the answer is positive. negative * negative is always positive. Therefore, this condition holds good to.
Final answer :(D) II and III only
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2019, 09:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne