It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 129072 [0], given: 12194

If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:07
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:25) correct 54% (01:32) wrong based on 885 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Problem Solving
Question: 156
Category: Algebra Inequalities
Page: 82
Difficulty: 600

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a solution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:10
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
SOLUTION

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Note that we are asked to determine which MUST be true, not could be true.

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

Basically the question asks: if \(x<-5\) which of the following is true?

I. \(5<x\) --> not true as \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

III. \(-(x+5)>0\) --> \(x<-5\) --> true.

Answer: D.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 847 [1], given: 724

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 00:56
This post received
KUDOS

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Sol:The given expression can be 4<(7-x)/3 (multiply by 3) we get
12<7-x or x<-5

St 1 can be ruled out

St 3 must be true So Option A,C and E can be ruled out

Consider st 2 |x+3|>2

When x+3 >/ 0 then |x+3|= x+3 and also x>/-3

or x+3> 2 or x>-1 but our condition is x>/-3 so x> -1 (because if x>-1 then x surely is greater than -3)

When x+3 <0 then |x+3|=- (x+3) and the st2 equation becomes x+3<-2 or x<-5 and thus x<-5 (because of x<-5 then x <-3 as well)

So we have x >-1 or x<-5 ------> In this range the St 2 will hold good. But we are given that x<-5 thus St 2 is true

Ans is D....

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Kudos [?]: 847 [1], given: 724

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 174 [1], given: 242

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Solved the equation to get x < -5
As the question says must be true, it means that for any below -5 the statements have to hold true. So just assumed it to be -6 in every statement

Answer D
Time Taken 1:25
Difficulty level 550

Kudos [?]: 174 [1], given: 242

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GPA: 3.12
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is D
As statement 1 can be ruled out as from question statementx<-5
statement 2 holds ok as modulus of lx+3l>2 : as from question statementx<-5
staement 3 is also correct as from question statementx<-5 therefore multiplication of 2 negative term is positive

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 378 [1], given: 30

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

\(4<\frac{7-x}{3}\) --> \(12<7-x\) --> \(x<-5\). So we know that \(x<-5\), it's given as a fact. Now, taking this info we should find out which of the following inequalities will be true OR which of the following inequalities will be true for the range \(x<-5\).

II. \(|x+3|>2\), this inequality holds true for 2 cases, (for 2 ranges): 1. when \(x+3>2\), so when \(x>-1\) or 2. when \(-x-3>2\), so when \(x<-5\). We are given that second range is true (\(x<-5\)), so this inequality holds true.

Or another way: ANY \(x\) from the range \(x<-5\) (-5.1, -6, -7, ...) will make \(|x+3|>2\) true, so as \(x<-5\), then \(|x+3|>2\) is always true.

Bunuel,

For Statement 2, the red part does not hold true as X>-1 but green part holds true. So in such situation when one part of inequality is true, does it qualify for " Must be true"?

"Where are my Kudos" ............ Good Question = kudos

"Start enjoying all phases" & all Sections

http://gmatclub.com/forum/percentages-700-800-level-questions-130588.html

http://gmatclub.com/forum/700-to-800-level-quant-question-with-detail-soluition-143321.html

Kudos [?]: 378 [1], given: 30

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2015, 05:49
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

For (2):
X could be a positive number or a negative number, if x is a negative number than solving inequality would result into X < -5 which is true because it is the exact same inequality which has been given in the question.

But if x would be positive that solving inequality would result into x >-1 which would make the option (2) not true. So in other words when x is negative than statement (2) is true but when x is positive than statement (2) is not true. So statement (2) is not ALWAYS true.

Can you please tell me why im unable to get the right answer? what is flaw in my reasoning?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 72

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 03:28
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mulhinmjavid wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

For (2):
X could be a positive number or a negative number, if x is a negative number than solving inequality would result into X < -5 which is true because it is the exact same inequality which has been given in the question.

But if x would be positive that solving inequality would result into x >-1 which would make the option (2) not true. So in other words when x is negative than statement (2) is true but when x is positive than statement (2) is not true. So statement (2) is not ALWAYS true.

Can you please tell me why im unable to get the right answer? what is flaw in my reasoning?

It should be other way around.

To elaborate more. Question uses the same logic as in the examples below:

If \(x=5\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x>-10

Answer is E (x>-10), because as x=5 then it's more than -10.

Or:
If \(-1<x<10\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x<120

Again answer is E, because ANY \(x\) from \(-1<x<10\) will be less than 120 so it's always true about the number from this range to say that it's less than 120.

Or:
If \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x>1
B. x>-1
C. |x|<1
D. |x|=1
E. |x|^2>1

As \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) then ANY \(x\) from these ranges would satisfy \(x>-1\). So B is always true.

\(x\) could be for example -1/2, -3/4, or 10 but no matter what \(x\) actually is it's IN ANY CASE more than -1. So we can say about \(x\) that it's more than -1.

On the other hand for example A is not always true as it says that \(x>1\), which is not always true as \(x\) could be -1/2 and -1/2 is not more than 1.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 01:03
Bunuel wrote:
mulhinmjavid wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

For (2):

It should be other way around.

To elaborate more. Question uses the same logic as in the examples below:

If \(x=5\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x>-10

Answer is E (x>-10), because as x=5 then it's more than -10.

Or:
If \(-1<x<10\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x=3
B. x^2=10
C. x<4
D. |x|=1
E. x<120

Again answer is E, because ANY \(x\) from \(-1<x<10\) will be less than 120 so it's always true about the number from this range to say that it's less than 120.

Or:
If \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\), then which of the following must be true about \(x\):
A. x>1
B. x>-1
C. |x|<1
D. |x|=1
E. |x|^2>1

As \(-1<x<0\) or \(x>1\) then ANY \(x\) from these ranges would satisfy \(x>-1\). So B is always true.

\(x\) could be for example -1/2, -3/4, or 10 but no matter what \(x\) actually is it's IN ANY CASE more than -1. So we can say about \(x\) that it's more than -1.

On the other hand for example A is not always true as it says that \(x>1\), which is not always true as \(x\) could be -1/2 and -1/2 is not more than 1.

Hope it's clear.

I still don't understand the application of this, to the question. Sure, I understand that if x = 5 its > -10.

But, here, we get two different cases. Solving the question stem we get x < -5.

In "II" we have that x is either x < -5 or x > -1. If I plug in a value where x > -1. Say x = 3. The equation doesn't hold?

We get 4 < (7-3)/3 --> 12 < 4. Not true?

How can this be a valid answer choice then

Edit: Don't know if this is how you should go about doing it, correct me if I'm wrong:

If we have \(x < -5.\)

Plugging in a value < -5, say -6 into II: \(|-6+3| > 2\). This holds true, aka sufficient

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 2085 [1], given: 123

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 02:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
I still don't understand the application of this, to the question. Sure, I understand that if x = 5 its > -10.

But, here, we get two different cases. Solving the question stem we get x < -5.

In "II" we have that x is either x < -5 or x > -1. If I plug in a value where x > -1. Say x = 3. The equation doesn't hold?

We get 4 < (7-3)/3 --> 12 < 4. Not true?

How can this be a valid answer choice then

Edit: Don't know if this is how you should go about doing it, correct me if I'm wrong:

If we have \(x < -5.\)

Plugging in a value < -5, say -6 into II: \(|-6+3| > 2\). This holds true, aka sufficient

Hi erikvm,

Let me explain the solution to you using the representation on number line. We need to evaluate if for every value in the range of the question statement i.e. x < -5, do the statements hold true.

Refer the below diagram for the range given to us in the question & the other statements:

Question Statement: The question statement gives us the range as x < -5. We need to see for every value of x < -5, are the inequality in the statements true.

Statement-I: St-I gives us the range as x > 5. We see that this range does not hold true for any value of x. Hence, it can't be true.

Statement-II: St-II gives us the range as x > -1 or x < -5. We see that for every value of x < -5 (i.e. the inequality in the question statement), we can write |x +3| > 2 holds. Hence this is a must be true statement.

Statement-III: St-III gives us the range as x < -5 which is nothing but the range in question statement. Hence this is a must be true statement.

Therefore, st-II & III are true for every value of x < -5 and hence must be true statements.

Hope its clear :-D

Regards
Harsh

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 2085 [1], given: 123

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 06:12
Thanks, I'm just abit confused about the whole "must be true". I know how absolute values work, but \(|x+3| > 2\) provides me with 2 different values for x, so I just assumed that this statement was not true because we have two different possibilities for X

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17374 [2], given: 232

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
erikvm wrote:
Thanks, I'm just abit confused about the whole "must be true". I know how absolute values work, but \(|x+3| > 2\) provides me with 2 different values for x, so I just assumed that this statement was not true because we have two different possibilities for X

Actually, \(|x+3| > 2\) provides you infinite values of x. It gives you two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1.
The inequality implies that distance of x from -3 is more than 2. So x can lie to the right of -1 or to the left of -5. (Draw it on a number line to see). Hence you get two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1

The question gives you that x < -5. So x will take any value less than -5. When it does, for all such values \(|x+3| > 2\) will always be true because it holds for all values such that x < -5. It holds for some more values too (x > -1) but we don't care about those. All values that x can take in our question, for those \(|x+3| > 2\) will always work. So \(|x+3| > 2\) must be true.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17374 [2], given: 232

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 23:40
Bunuel wrote:

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Problem Solving

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!

The answer is B. Statement II is not always true. The question is about 'must be' true.
What is given is x<-5. There are not two answers. Statement II should produce a unique answer that satisfies x<-5.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 23:56
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
erikvm wrote:

Actually, \(|x+3| > 2\) provides you infinite values of x. It gives you two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1.
The inequality implies that distance of x from -3 is more than 2. So x can lie to the right of -1 or to the left of -5. (Draw it on a number line to see). Hence you get two ranges: x < -5 OR x > -1

The question gives you that x < -5. So x will take any value less than -5. When it does, for all such values \(|x+3| > 2\) will always be true because it holds for all values such that x < -5. It holds for some more values too (x > -1) but we don't care about those. All values that x can take in our question, for those \(|x+3| > 2\) will always work. So \(|x+3| > 2\) must be true.

It is true, you need not care if the question is framed like 'which of the following is true for all values of x?'.
Otherwise, you need to care. The problem is confirmation bias.
Fallacy 1: Framing
Fallacy 2: Appeal to Authority

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:26
Why can statement 1 not be true? if we consider x to be negative, the question stem gives us x>5 as a possible result of x.

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 508

Expert Post
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5498 [0], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 06:31
BobbyAssassinCross wrote:
Why can statement 1 not be true? if we consider x to be negative, the question stem gives us x>5 as a possible result of x.

Thank you.

Hi BobbyAssassinCross,
look at the highlighted portion..
initially you start with x as -ive and then get a +ive value for x as x>5..
so contradictory solution..
hence NOT possible

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5498 [0], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 07:06
4<(7-x)/3
12 < 7-x
5 < -x
-x > 5
x < -5

I. 5<x
x > 5

This is not true because actually x < -5

II. |x+3|>2
|x - (-3)|>2
So, distance between x and -3 is > 2
So, x > -1 or x < -5

So, this is again true.

III. -(x+5) is positive
-(x+5) > 0
x+5 < 0
x < -5
True.

Hence, (D)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2016, 08:42
Bunuel wrote:

I. 5<x
II. |x+3|>2
III. -(x+5) is positive

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

Problem Solving

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

Thank you!

4<(7-x)/3
12<(7-x)
5<-x
x<-5

That means x is -ve and less than -5
Now lets look at the options

I. 5<x not possible. we know that x<-5

II. |x+3|>2 putting any -ve value for x <-5 will yield +ve value >2. True

III. -(x+5) is positive. Since X <-5, expression (x-5) will be -ve and because it is multiplied by -ve, it will give +ve result. True

(D) II and III only is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 69

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 06:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Re: If 4<(7-x)/3, which of the following must be true?   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2017, 06:34

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap