Last visit was: 24 Jun 2024, 00:34 It is currently 24 Jun 2024, 00:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Status:Dream big, work hard, and drink gallons of beer!
Posts: 98
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [126]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93968
Own Kudos [?]: 634424 [50]
Given Kudos: 82435
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 756
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [3]
Given Kudos: 1350
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93968
Own Kudos [?]: 634424 [1]
Given Kudos: 82435
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
ammuseeru wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sguptashared wrote:
If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = -1 which of the following statements must be true?

A. z = -1
B. -2 <= z < -1
C. -2 < z <= -1
D. -1 <= z < 0
E. -1 < z <= 0


[z] is the greatest integer less than or equal to z means that some function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Now, since [z] = -1, then \(-1\leq{z}<0\) --> ANY number from this range when rounded down to the nearest integer is -1.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice:
if-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equal-to-x-132223.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
is-x-an-odd-integer-1-x-2-2x-99856.html
for-all-z-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-110561.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
if-is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-what-144277.html
how-x-become-fraction-if-its-been-said-an-integer-94687.html
awkward-ds-105416.html
help-data-sufficiency-equation-and-inequalities-99856.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-the-real-n-154006.html

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Thank you,


If question asks " [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = 0", then can we say 0<=Z<1 ?

Regards,
Ammu


Yes. [z] = 0, would mean that \(0\leq{z}<1\) --> ANY number from this range when rounded down to the nearest integer is 0.

Check other Rounding Functions Questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
sguptashared wrote:
If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = -1 which of the following statements must be true?

A. z = -1
B. -2 <= z < -1
C. -2 < z <= -1
D. -1 <= z < 0
E. -1 < z <= 0


[z] is the greatest integer less than or equal to z means that some function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Now, since [z] = -1, then \(-1\leq{z}<0\) --> ANY number from this range when rounded down to the nearest integer is -1.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice:
if-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equal-to-x-132223.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
is-x-an-odd-integer-1-x-2-2x-99856.html
for-all-z-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-110561.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
if-is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-what-144277.html
how-x-become-fraction-if-its-been-said-an-integer-94687.html
awkward-ds-105416.html
help-data-sufficiency-equation-and-inequalities-99856.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-the-real-n-154006.html

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Thank you,


Hi Bunuel,

Just a question. Why do you think it could not be A?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93968
Own Kudos [?]: 634424 [3]
Given Kudos: 82435
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
3
Kudos
Expert Reply
gbascurs wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
sguptashared wrote:
If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = -1 which of the following statements must be true?

A. z = -1
B. -2 <= z < -1
C. -2 < z <= -1
D. -1 <= z < 0
E. -1 < z <= 0


[z] is the greatest integer less than or equal to z means that some function [] rounds DOWN a number to the nearest integer. For example [1.5]=1, [2]=2, [-1.5]=-2, ...

Now, since [z] = -1, then \(-1\leq{z}<0\) --> ANY number from this range when rounded down to the nearest integer is -1.

Answer: D.

Similar questions to practice:
if-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-equal-to-x-132223.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
is-x-an-odd-integer-1-x-2-2x-99856.html
for-all-z-denotes-the-least-integer-greater-than-or-110561.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
for-all-numbers-t-let-t-be-defined-as-the-greatest-105416.html
if-is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-what-144277.html
how-x-become-fraction-if-its-been-said-an-integer-94687.html
awkward-ds-105416.html
help-data-sufficiency-equation-and-inequalities-99856.html
if-denotes-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-x-94687.html
denotes-to-be-the-least-integer-no-less-than-x-is-130841.html
is-the-greatest-integer-less-than-or-equal-to-the-real-n-154006.html

Hope it helps.

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Thank you,


Hi Bunuel,

Just a question. Why do you think it could not be A?


Because z is not necessarily -1, it could be any number from -1 to 0 (\(-1\leq{z}<0\) ), for example, -1/2.

Check other Rounding Functions Questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
But the question states that it is an integer... What do I missing?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93968
Own Kudos [?]: 634424 [0]
Given Kudos: 82435
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gbascurs wrote:
But the question states that it is an integer... What do I missing?


The questions says that [z] is an integer, not z.

Please re-read the question and solution and follow the links to the similar problems to understand better.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
gbascurs wrote:
But the question states that it is an integer... What do I missing?


The questions says that [z] is an integer, not z.

Please re-read the question and solution and follow the links to the similar problems to understand better.



Thanks for your reply, I get it.
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 06 Aug 2014
Posts: 13
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Dear Bunuel,

Although I completely agree that the answer is indeed option D here, however option A is not wrong also. If we plug in the value given in option A, we indeed satisfy the condition given.
Does the inclusion of option A not make choosing the correct answer slightly ambiguous. I mean why give an option such as A at all in the exam.
What trick am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Madhav
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 93968
Own Kudos [?]: 634424 [0]
Given Kudos: 82435
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Expert Reply
madhavmarda wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Although I completely agree that the answer is indeed option D here, however option A is not wrong also. If we plug in the value given in option A, we indeed satisfy the condition given.
Does the inclusion of option A not make choosing the correct answer slightly ambiguous. I mean why give an option such as A at all in the exam.
What trick am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Madhav


The question asks which of the following statements MUST be true, not could be true. z could be -1, but it could also be, for example, -1/2. Thus A is not a statement which must be true.

Check other Rounding Functions Questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 751
Own Kudos [?]: 1272 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
madhavmarda wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Although I completely agree that the answer is indeed option D here, however option A is not wrong also. If we plug in the value given in option A, we indeed satisfy the condition given.
Does the inclusion of option A not make choosing the correct answer slightly ambiguous. I mean why give an option such as A at all in the exam.
What trick am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Madhav


The question asks which of the following statements MUST be true, not could be true. z could be -1, but it could also be, for example, -1/2. Thus A is not a statement which must be true.

Check other Rounding Functions Questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.


I really cannot understand why A cannot be the answer.

Z=-1

[Z] = -1

Condition satisfies.

I have read the theory and solved all the questions in the link, I don't know what am I missing
SVP
SVP
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2359
Own Kudos [?]: 3641 [2]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
2
Kudos
anewbeginning wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
madhavmarda wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Although I completely agree that the answer is indeed option D here, however option A is not wrong also. If we plug in the value given in option A, we indeed satisfy the condition given.
Does the inclusion of option A not make choosing the correct answer slightly ambiguous. I mean why give an option such as A at all in the exam.
What trick am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Madhav


The question asks which of the following statements MUST be true, not could be true. z could be -1, but it could also be, for example, -1/2. Thus A is not a statement which must be true.

Check other Rounding Functions Questions in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.


I really cannot understand why A cannot be the answer.

Z=-1

[Z] = -1

Condition satisfies.

I have read the theory and solved all the questions in the link, I don't know what am I missing


The question is a MUST BE TRUE for ALL values. Not a could be true. Had this question been a 'could be true" question, then you would have stopped at option A itself and moved to the next question.

But as this is a MUST BE TRUE question, you need to make sure that [z] =-1 is ONLY satisfied by z =-1 from the given options (and not by any other option). The correct answer to a MUST BE TRUE question, will nullify all other options. This is a very important point to remember. We are not denying that z = -1 is not true but what we are mentioning is that is it the ONLY possible choice ? Not necessarily z = -0.5 also satisfies the given condition.

So if z = -0.5 also satisfies the given condition, then option D is true as well (along with option A, per your statement). A question can not have 2 correct answers.

As I said before, in a MUST BE TRUE question,

1. Get the option(s) that satisfy a given condition
2. Eliminate all but 1 options. The remaining option will be the correct answer. There will always be concrete reasons to eliminate other options. If you are not able to eliminate options, then you are missing some important information.

Unless you take care of both the options, you can not be sure of your answer.

For this question, I adopted the following method:

1. Used z =-0.5 to eliminate options A-C
2. Used z = 0 to eliminate option E. If z =0 then [z] = 0 and \(\neq\) -1

The only option remaining after the 2 steps above was D and is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 6806
Own Kudos [?]: 30623 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Location: Canada
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sguptashared wrote:
If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = -1 which of the following statements must be true?

A. z = -1
B. -2 ≤ z < -1
C. -2 < z ≤ -1
D. -1 ≤ z < 0
E. -1 < z ≤ 0

Attachment:
prep.JPG


Let's make sure we understand what this [] symbol means.
Here are a few examples:
[3.1] = 3
[5.8] = 5
[0.7] = 0
[-0.9] = -1
[-4.6] = -5

So, if [z] = -1, then -1 ≤ z < 0

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 33683
Own Kudos [?]: 841 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If [z] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to z and [z] = [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
93968 posts