Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [19]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [9]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: If machine M is required to make 3000 items and machine N is required [#permalink]
Expert Reply
If machine M is required to make 3000 items and machine N is required to make 4000 items, which of the machines will finish earlier than the other when both work at their respective constant rates?

1. Machine N can make 1000 more items than M per hour
Answer would depend on the speed ...
a) if the speed of M is 3000 items ph and that of N is 4000 items ph.... both will finish together
b) if the speed of M is <3000 say 1000 items per hr and that of N is 2000 items per hr...... N will do faster
c) speed of M is > 3000 say 9000 and that of N as 10000, M will finish faster

insuff

2. N's work rate is twice that of M
So N will take half the time for same work or N can make double the items in same time
Thus when N finishes 4000, N would finish 4000/2 = 2000 and N will finish first

B
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: If machine M is required to make 3000 items and machine N is required [#permalink]
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Hi Karthik200!
Please double check the OA.

Thanks,
V

Edit: Or give the OE :grin:

I think you used number testing to prove sufficiency for Statement 1 and did not test for one hour. We could use algebra and logic for statement 1 as well.

Proof:-

Let x be the number of hours taken by Machine M to finish 3000 units.
- Machine M's rate of work is 3000/x (i.e. Number of units produced per hour) AND
- Machine N's rate is 1000 more units than that of Machine M or (\(\frac{3000}{x}\) + 1000) (i.e. at the rate Machine N produces 1000 more units than Machine M per hour)

By Definition Machine M will take x hours to complete 3000 units AND
Machine N will take (\(\frac{work to be done}{rate}\)) or (\(\frac{4000}{(3000/x + 1000)}\)) or \(\frac{4x}{(3+x)}\)

Hence we have 3 scenerios:-

1) \(\frac{4x}{(3+x)}\) = 1 when x = 1 which means Machine M will finish its work with machine N in one hours time.
2) \(\frac{4x}{(3+x)}\) = \(\frac{8}{5}\) hours when x = 2 which means Machine N will take less time to do its work than Machine M.
3) \(\frac{4x}{(3+x)}\) = \(\frac{4}{7}\) hours when x = 1/2 hours means Machine M will take less time to do its work than Machine N.

Since there are 3 scenarios, we have insufficiency.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
philipssonicare wrote:
If Machine M is required to make 3,000 items and machine N is required to make 4,000 items, which of the two machines will finish earlier than the other, when both work at their respective constant rates?

1) Machine N can make 1,000 more units than M per hour

2) N's work rate is twice that of M

Question: Which machine finished work earlier than the other machine?

Statement 1: Machine N can make 1,000 more units than M per hour
Case 1: N makes 2000 per hour and M makes 1000 per hour i.e. M takes 3 hours and N take 2 hours to finish their work
Case 2: N makes 4000 per hour and M makes 3000 per hour i.e. M takes 1 hours and N take 1 hours to finish their work
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: N's work rate is twice that of M

i.e. When N makes 4000 Products then M makes 2000 i.e. N always makes 4000 product in a time less than the time taken by M to make 3000 parts.
SUFFICIENT

Answer: Option B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Retail Banking)
Send PM
If machine M is required to make 3000 items and machine N is required [#permalink]
I am just curious, why can we assume that the machines start to work at the same time?

The question is "which one will finish earlier?", but the posts (and the Math Revolution solution pdf, too) answer the question "which one works faster?" I mean, earlier and faster are not the same. Which one finishes earlier? What if the slower machine started the work 2 weeks ago and the faster will be ready to work in a few weeks time? I think that time data are missing to answer the question "earlier?" "When both work at their constant rate" could mean that one of them just immediately finished when the other one started and the overlapping period was just 1 second. It is not implied at all that they started at the same time or the overlapping period is constant, hence starting time does not matter.

The question is just simply misleading; it is not an SC question to figure out the intended meaning :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 170
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The same thought crossed my mind.

Given that this is a DS question, I did not want to assume that they have started the same time.

chetan2u - please help

solchtamas wrote:
I am just curious, why can we assume that the machines start to work at the same time?

The question is "which one will finish earlier?", but the posts (and the Math Revolution solution pdf, too) answer the question "which one works faster?" I mean, earlier and faster are not the same. Which one finishes earlier? What if the slower machine started the work 2 weeks ago and the faster will be ready to work in a few weeks time? I think that time data are missing to answer the question "earlier?" "When both work at their constant rate" could mean that one of them just immediately finished when the other one started and the overlapping period was just 1 second. It is not implied at all that they started at the same time or the overlapping period is constant, hence starting time does not matter.

The question is just simply misleading; it is not an SC question to figure out the intended meaning :)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31935 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
HarryStamper wrote:
The same thought crossed my mind.

Given that this is a DS question, I did not want to assume that they have started the same time.

chetan2u - please help

solchtamas wrote:

Hi
Don’t worry, the official questions will never leave any ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
LevanKhukhunashvili wrote:
If Machine M is required to make 3,000 items and machine N is required to make 4,000 items, which of the two machines will finish earlier than the other, when both work at their respective constant rates?

(1) Machine N can make 1,000 more units than M per hour

(2) N's work rate is twice that of M

I think an adjustment should be made to the question. It is not stated that both machines start working at the same time. Either this statement should be added or the question should be adjusted to the following.
Which machine will finish its task in less time than the other?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts