Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 02:45 It is currently 03 May 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [11]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620882 [11]
Given Kudos: 81741
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2137 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Re: If p and q are integers and p divided by q is 20.15, then which of the [#permalink]
Kudos
ikokurin wrote:
If p and q are integers and p divided by q is 20.15, then which of the following integers is a possible value for the remainder when p is divided by q?

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

What is the best way to approach this problem?

p=20.15q from which p = 20q + 15q/100 or p = 20q + 3q/20.
Since p and q are integers, 3q/20 must also be an integer. 3 is not divisible by 20, then q must be divisible by 20, and therefore, q/20 is an integer and 3q/20 is an integer which is a multiple of 3. From the given answers, only 15 and 3 are divisible by 3.

Answer C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: If p and q are integers and p divided by q is 20.15, then which of the [#permalink]
Kudos
ikokurin wrote:
If p and q are integers and p divided by q is 20.15, then which of the following integers is a possible value for the remainder when p is divided by q?

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

General Rule :

p=mq+r
m is multiple
r is remainder
now, we can express 20.15 as 20+0.15

So R =0.15
\(=15/100\)
\(=3/20\)
which implies that the remainder should be a multiple of 3 .
Possible values 3, 15
Hence C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65060 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ikokurin wrote:

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

\(\frac{p}{q} = 20.15 = 20 \frac{15}{100}\)
Notice here that if q = 100, the remainder would be 15

\(\frac{15}{100} = \frac{3}{20}\)
If q = 20, remainder would be 3.

But under no conditions can you cancel off 3 from the numerator and denominator and be left with 5 in the numerator so remainder cannot be 5.

Check this post for detailed discussion of this concept: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/05 ... emainders/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
EvaJager wrote:
ikokurin wrote:

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

Since p and q are integers, 3q/20 must also be an integer. 3 is not divisible by 20, then q must be divisible by 20, and therefore, q/20 is an integer and 3q/20 is an integer which is a multiple of 3. From the given answers, only 15 and 3 are divisible by 3.

Answer C.

I feel like I have trouble grasping the concept in general... :oops: I mean the next time I see a similar problem I am not exactly sure where to start. Is this always the case where whatever decimal we have we just look at the possible multiples of that decimal? For example, if we had say 20.34 we would take 34q/100 or 17q/50 looking for a multiple of 17 in the answer choice?

And are there a few other similar problems that you might have seen particularly with tweaked premises? Or may be you have a way to tweak the question some other way, let me know.

Appreciate your help guys!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2137 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
ikokurin wrote:
EvaJager wrote:
ikokurin wrote:

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

Answer C.

I feel like I have trouble grasping the concept in general... :oops: I mean the next time I see a similar problem I am not exactly sure where to start. Is this always the case where whatever decimal we have we just look at the possible multiples of that decimal? For example, if we had say 20.34 we would take 34q/100 or 17q/50 looking for a multiple of 17 in the answer choice?

And are there a few other similar problems that you might have seen particularly with tweaked premises? Or may be you have a way to tweak the question some other way, let me know.

Appreciate your help guys!

if we had say 20.34 we would take 34q/100 or 17q/50 looking for a multiple of 17 in the answer choice? YES!

The relationship between the dividend (a certain number \(n\)), divisor(\(d\)), quotient(\(q\)) and remainder(\(r\)):
\(n = dq + r,\) all numbers are positive integers, except \(r,\) which can be also 0 (in which case, we say that \(n\) is divisible by \(d\)).
The above can be rewritten as \(n/d = q + r/d.\)
So, \(r/d\) is the 0.something you see in the result of a division.
0.something is the fractional part of the quotient. If you multiply that by the divisor, in our case \(q\), you will get the remainder, which has to be an integer. Always take the fraction in the expression of the fractional part in lowest terms, exactly as you did with \(34q/100\). Since 17 is not divisible by 50, it means \(q\) must be divisible by 50, so \(q/50\) is an integer, and \(17q/50\) is an integer which is a multiple of 17.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3981 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
kalita wrote:

I. 15
II. 5
III. 3

A) I only
B) I and II only
C) I and III only
D) II and III only
E) I, II, and III

Remainder should be of the form 0.15x where x is an integer
3 and 15 are of the form 0.15x

IMO C

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93024 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts