Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1239 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a [#permalink]
stevegt wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

egmat CAn u help in this question. Is use of "arguing in a treatise for women" is correct here??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Piyushggmat wrote:
egmat CAn u help in this question. Is use of "arguing in a treatise for women" is correct here??
Hi Piyushggmat,

No, it is not. Discourse on Women is the treatise here. Arguing in a treatise seems to suggest that there is something else that is a treatise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
stevegt wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

Hello experts,

Do you thing the verb-ing modifier in option D is incorrect? I thought that's an error too in addition to the other error. I marked verb-ing as an error because with the use of "advocating", it seems like the treatise is the doer of action and is advocating. But can the treatise advocate? Or do you think the use is okay?

Thank you in advance!

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja EducationAisle AndrewN AjiteshArun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 512
Schools: Ross '24 (II)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GRE 1: Q170 V155
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
In option E, the verbs "argued" and "changes" are creating confusion for me. Isn't it that both verbs need to be either of present or past tense?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
stevegt wrote:

Hello experts,

Do you thing the verb-ing modifier in option D is incorrect? I thought that's an error too in addition to the other error. I marked verb-ing as an error because with the use of "advocating", it seems like the treatise is the doer of action and is advocating. But can the treatise advocate? Or do you think the use is okay?

Thank you in advance!

Hello, ashmit99. I would not eliminate (D) on the basis of advocating. Answer choices (C) through (E) all make it sound as if the treatise is, in your words, "the doer of action," but as VeritasKarishma has noted at the top of the page,

VeritasKarishma wrote:
a book/a paper/a treatise can certainly suggest/argue etc. It is common, acceptable usage and we don't need to take it literally.

Of course, the parallelism in (D) is another story. If the unpaired -ing stuck out to you within this X and Y construct, then it could still be used to disfavor the answer choice.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:

Well, if a treatise can argue (as per correct answer E), a treatise can definitely advocate as well.

Don't you think?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ishant5243 wrote:
In option E, the verbs "argued" and "changes" are creating confusion for me. Isn't it that both verbs need to be either of present or past tense?

Hi Ishant, as Ashmit pointed out, changes is not used as a verb, but as a noun in option E.

If your concern is parallelism, please note that there is no requirement that all verbs in a sentence should be in the same tense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ERROR ANALYSIS -

1) Discourse on Women - is a proper noun followed by comma, so we need a noun modifier - treatise in this case
2) Parallelism marker - 'and' is followed by prepositional phrase - 'for changes'

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) Not parallel and no noun modifier present
B) No noun modifier present
C) Not parallel
D) Not parallel
E) CORRECT
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
stevegt wrote:

Hello experts,

Thank you in advance!

Sorry, I'm late to the party here and AndrewN and EducationAisle have already answered things nicely, but I'll toss in my two cents in case it helps.

Honestly, your question is an interesting one that comes up fairly often. Here's a somewhat philosophical answer: we've learned to give the GMAT a little latitude with this kind of usage, because it's so common. Contracts can stipulate; essays can argue; books can claim, etc.

More importantly, notice that if (D) were incorrect for this reason, then (E) would also be wrong, as you might insist that it's the author who's arguing, rather than the treatise itself.

If you were to encounter this kind of problem on the test -- and if you find yourself thinking, "well, I think I might write it that way, but is it technically wrong?" -- try to avoid using the issue as a decision point. As others have noted, (D) has a nice juicy parallelism issue, using the phrase "advocating x and for y" as opposed to "advocating for x and for y." No reason to agonize over a complex issue when there's some low-hanging fruit sitting right there, begging to be picked.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
stevegt wrote:

See the non-underlined part:

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, ... and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

So whatever comes before 'and' is something else the treatise argues for. The two should be parallel.
So we are between (B) and (E).

(B) is incorrect because 'a treatise' is not connected to 'Discourse on Women' and the reader is left wondering whether they are the same. The link is not clear.

(E) clearly tells us that 'Discourse on Women' is the treatise and what it does.

Also, a book/a paper/a treatise can certainly suggest/argue etc. It is common, acceptable usage and we don't need to take it literally.

Can you explain how can a treatise ARGUE? Lucretia published something. Why did she publish? To argue..
This is my understanding and eliminated E because I felt treatise itself cannot argue.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
srisrinivasy wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
stevegt wrote:

See the non-underlined part:

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, ... and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

So whatever comes before 'and' is something else the treatise argues for. The two should be parallel.
So we are between (B) and (E).

(B) is incorrect because 'a treatise' is not connected to 'Discourse on Women' and the reader is left wondering whether they are the same. The link is not clear.

(E) clearly tells us that 'Discourse on Women' is the treatise and what it does.

Also, a book/a paper/a treatise can certainly suggest/argue etc. It is common, acceptable usage and we don't need to take it literally.

Can you explain how can a treatise ARGUE? Lucretia published something. Why did she publish? To argue..
This is my understanding and eliminated E because I felt treatise itself cannot argue.

Hello srisrinivasy,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

A "treatise" can indeed be said to "argue" something, even though it is a non-living thing. This is known as anthropomorphization, giving the traits of a living thing to a non-living thing; this is a minor example of figurative or abstract language and is perfectly permissible on the GMAT. For example, "The letter said John misses you."

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma - I know there are other mistakes but can A and B be eliminated for Comma + Arguing specifically ?

For example - if I were to say the following

Sam published his book, arguing for X and for Y.

Isn't this sentence in red I made up saying -- Sam published the book. In the book, Sam is arguing for X and Sam is arguing for Y (in the book)

Or would the sentence in red NOT convey my inteded meaning.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma - I know there are other mistakes but can A and B be eliminated for Comma + Arguing specifically ?

Isn't this sentence in red I made up saying -- Sam published the book. In the book, Sam is arguing for X and Sam is arguing for Y (in the book)

"comma + verb-ing" modifies the entire previous clause or the subject of the clause. So we could say that Mott is arguing, no issues.
But (A) and (B) are incorrect because of the way they are framed.

Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women ...

The book is the treatise. We say she published her book and then modify it by saying "arguing in a treatise". Which "a treatise" are we taking about here? It is not clear that the book is the treatise we are talking about because Mott argued in "a treatise". Then we have combined two things that don't make much sense together.
She published a book. She argued in a treatise ...

Options (C), (D) and (E) modify the book. The book is a treatise that argues...
Now the sentence makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question and determine the best way to tackle it! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the major differences in each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, we see a couple things we can focus on:

1. "arguing in a treatise" vs. "a treatise" (Modifiers)
2. "for women..." / "for equal..." / "women's equal..." (Parallelism)

Let's start with #1 on our list: modifiers! We know that the modifier should be modifying "Discourse on Women." What is Discourse on Women? A treatise! So the modifier that comes directly after the title should tell us what it is - it's a treatise, not an argument! Let's see how the options break down:

We can eliminate options A & B because they are trying to make the modifier pair up with Mott and not the title of the treatise itself, which is what it should be modifying!

Now that we're left with 3 options, let's move on to #2: parallelism! There are 2 things that the treatise argues for:

1. equal political and legal rights for women
2. changes in married women's property laws

BOTH items need to be written using parallel structure. This means they need to use similar verb tenses, structure, wording, etc. Let's see which of the remaining options uses parallel structure. To make this easier to spot, I've added in the rest of the sentence so you can clearly see both items that need to be parallel:

C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> PARALLEL

There you have it - option E is the correct choice! The modifier clearly refers to the right thing, and it uses parallel structure!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

I am confused on the parallelism structure. Isn't that the 2nd parallel element in Option E is a verb phrase as it uses ''changes" whereas 1st parallel element is not a verb phrase , so how it could be said to be parallel? Please help clarify this doubt.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
I am confused on the parallelism structure. Isn't that the 2nd parallel element in Option E is a verb phrase as it uses ''changes" whereas 1st parallel element is not a verb phrase , so how it could be said to be parallel? Please help clarify this doubt.

changes is used as a noun here, not as a verb.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
VIGHNESHKAMATH wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question and determine the best way to tackle it! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the major differences in each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, we see a couple things we can focus on:

1. "arguing in a treatise" vs. "a treatise" (Modifiers)
2. "for women..." / "for equal..." / "women's equal..." (Parallelism)

Let's start with #1 on our list: modifiers! We know that the modifier should be modifying "Discourse on Women." What is Discourse on Women? A treatise! So the modifier that comes directly after the title should tell us what it is - it's a treatise, not an argument! Let's see how the options break down:

We can eliminate options A & B because they are trying to make the modifier pair up with Mott and not the title of the treatise itself, which is what it should be modifying!

Now that we're left with 3 options, let's move on to #2: parallelism! There are 2 things that the treatise argues for:

1. equal political and legal rights for women
2. changes in married women's property laws

BOTH items need to be written using parallel structure. This means they need to use similar verb tenses, structure, wording, etc. Let's see which of the remaining options uses parallel structure. To make this easier to spot, I've added in the rest of the sentence so you can clearly see both items that need to be parallel:

C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> PARALLEL

There you have it - option E is the correct choice! The modifier clearly refers to the right thing, and it uses parallel structure!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Hello VIGHNESHKAMATH,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

In this sentence, "changes" is used as a noun, not a verb. We can tell that it is a noun, as it is preceded by a preposition - "for"; remember, prepositions are always followed by nouns.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

"comma + verb-ing" modifies the entire previous clause or the subject of the clause. So we could say that Mott is arguing, no issues.
But (A) and (B) are incorrect because of the way they are framed.

Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women ...

The book is the treatise. We say she published her book and then modify it by saying "arguing in a treatise". Which "a treatise" are we taking about here? It is not clear that the book is the treatise we are talking about because Mott argued in "a treatise". Then we have combined two things that don't make much sense together.
She published a book. She argued in a treatise ...

Hi VeritasKarishma - Thank you for repsonding. I understand the blue. Wanted to focus on the pink specifically.

When i say the following : Sam published his book, arguing for X and for Y.

Does the sentence imply :
Sam published the book. In the book, Sam is arguing for X and Sam is arguing for Y - both topics X and Y are being argued in the book ?

OR is the meaning of the sentence completely different
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts