GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 00:39
Instead of getting in jargons, the question can be resolved in a simpler manner. After the comma, ‘treatise’ is preferred because it is synonymous to ‘discourse’. So, we are left with C,D and E. Now in both C and D, you have 'advocate' instead of 'argue'. So, stick to the word used in the original sentence. Avoid changing the meaning which leaves us with one answer - E.
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Re: In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 15:47
ItsABrainGame wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for
women to have equal political and legal rights
and for changes in the married women’s
property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women

I am more keen in understanding parallelism in C & E. A lot of ppl have said E is correct based on parallelism which I agree but I need some clarification on concept here.

In C, if it had been,
- a treaties that advocates for women's equal political and legal rights and (that advocates) for changes in the married.....

Would this be correct?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 08:24
I got the answer right but I have a doubt.

Should'nt there be a comma before "and" in "and legal rights for women" because it is the second element in the list.

If no, please explain when should comma be used with "and" when "and" is used for separating the last element in a list?
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 10:32
Top Contributor
If a list has only two elements, we do not need to put a comma; Only when the list contains more than two items, then we put a comma between each of those items and finally of course, "a comma + and" before the last thing.
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 00:40
I am with B.

C , D , E can't assign human traits to objects

B says she argues in a treatise

CORRECT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2018, 17:03
kongaharsha wrote:
ItsABrainGame wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for
women to have equal political and legal rights
and for changes in the married women’s
property laws.

I am more keen in understanding parallelism in C & E. A lot of ppl have said E is correct based on parallelism which I agree but I need some clarification on concept here.

In C, if it had been,
- a treaties that advocates for women's equal political and legal rights and (that advocates) for changes in the married.....

Would this be correct?

Hi kongaharsha,

Well if you pay close attention to the part " women's equal political and legal rights " I think this part is another reason why this choice is incorrect.
Why you may ask?
Women's is an adjective that is modifying 'equal political and legal rights."

So there is subtle change in meaning .
The original sentence wants to convey that the treatise argue for X for women. Its like this X does not exist for women so she wants this X for women also.

while this sentence seems to convey the treatise argue Women's X. Its like there is Men's X , and Women's X and she( is arguing for ) advovates women's X

Atleast i do see this as problem as subtle change in meaning . When i look at choice E it is much more concise and clearly communicated the intended taught of the author. .

Let me know if this helps.
Probus

~You Just Can't beat the person who never gives up~ Babe Ruth
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 04:27
daagh wrote:
‘Discourse on women’ is the title of Mott’s publication comprising her speeches. This publication is a called a treatise that gives information about what the publication contains and as such, it is an appositive modifier of ‘Discourse on Women

Hi Daagh,

Though, I was able to tick the right option in this question, i.e. option E, I am unable to get the structure of the question.
Option E is - In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws.
can't we say that it has two Independent Clauses joined by a comma. first clause is In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women and the second one is : a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

I am struggling with the basics please help me in clearing it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 05:44
Sir,

Probably, you could identify the name of book that is "Discourse on women" because of first capital letter of discourse. If discourse had been written as "discourse", you would have made same mistake that I did.
Am I correct?
daagh wrote:
‘Discourse on women’ is the title of Mott’s publication comprising her speeches. This publication is a called a treatise that gives information about what the publication contains and as such, it is an appositive modifier of ‘Discourse on Women
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 04:28
stevegt wrote:
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights [modifier]
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women [modifier]
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights [parallelism]
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights [parallelism]
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women [correct]

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 12:06
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a closer look at this question and determine the best way to tackle it! Before we dive in, here is the original question with the major differences in each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over the options, we see a couple things we can focus on:

1. "arguing in a treatise" vs. "a treatise" (Modifiers)
2. "for women..." / "for equal..." / "women's equal..." (Parallelism)

Let's start with #1 on our list: modifiers! We know that the modifier should be modifying "Discourse on Women." What is Discourse on Women? A treatise! So the modifier that comes directly after the title should tell us what it is - it's a treatise, not an argument! Let's see how the options break down:

We can eliminate options A & B because they are trying to make the modifier pair up with Mott and not the title of the treatise itself, which is what it should be modifying!

Now that we're left with 3 options, let's move on to #2: parallelism! There are 2 things that the treatise argues for:

1. equal political and legal rights for women
2. changes in married women's property laws

BOTH items need to be written using parallel structure. This means they need to use similar verb tenses, structure, wording, etc. Let's see which of the remaining options uses parallel structure. To make this easier to spot, I've added in the rest of the sentence so you can clearly see both items that need to be parallel:

C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> NOT PARALLEL
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws. --> PARALLEL

There you have it - option E is the correct choice! The modifier clearly refers to the right thing, and it uses parallel structure!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.
B
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 13:03
I eliminate E because I thought that A TREATISE CAN'T ARGUE but PEOPLE CAN ARGUE.
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 18:11
AjiteshArun generis VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

Can I discard C on grounds on verb tense (simple present)
vs E (simple past). I am not too fond eliminating on grounds
of arguing for vs advocating for. Also the parallelism did not get
through my sight in first glance.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Senior SC Moderator
V
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 18:50
adkikani wrote:

adkikani , you ask a good question.

I would not discard C on the basis of the present verb tense in "a treatise that advocates."
I would find other decision points.
True, the work was written in 1850, but the treatise continues to advocate today whatever it advocated in 1850.

It's a book. :)

You are correct to be wary of the simple present, though; this sentence is more about the history of what one politically active woman did a long time ago than it is about the timeless content of the book.

You do not have to decide the split presented by arguing for and advocating (no for) . . . as long as you read the whole sentence.

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women and for changes in the married women’s property laws.

The bolded part of the sentence (which is also the non-underlined part) contains the parallelism marker AND.
The RHS of the parallel structure opens with FOR.
The LHS must also do so.
(If the RHS of a parallel structure contains a preposition, the LHS must contain one, too.
If the LHS of a parallel structure contains a preposition, though, the RHS may or may not contain that preposition.)

Only option E remains.

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2019, 19:21
adkikani wrote:

I don't think that the present tense is wrong. After all, we could just be discussing something that is generally true about the "treatise".

However, let's take another look at the for. The problem here is not (just) parallelism. It's idiomatic usage. Option C is "advocates A and for B" (C uses advocates as a verb).

1. Someone advocates something. ← Here advocates is a verb. This is fine.
2. Someone advocates for something. ← When we use advocate as a verb, we don't use a for after it.
3. Someone is an advocate for something. ← We can use for after advocate when advocate is a noun.

Advocate (verb) + for is becoming more and more common in informal usage these days, but we should keep in mind that this question is more than 10 years old.

There is another (reasonably good) way to take C out. Take a look at the way the idea around rights has been conveyed in C:

a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights

Women’s equal political and legal rights is not as good as equal political and legal rights for women. Look at it this way: we can say women's rights (the rights that women have or should have) and we can say equal rights for women. However, we don't really want to combine the two and say "women's equal rights". That is a much less precise way to communicate the intended meaning, and is nowhere near as common as equal rights for women.
G

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 00:20
SRG13 wrote:
First of all look for parallelism. " for changes in property laws " is similar to "for equal political and legal rights for women".

This brings us down to B & E.

In B , "arguing in a treatise" creates a confusion as it looks to refer not to "Discourse on Women" but to something else . Shows 2 different entities.

But in E the treatise clearly modifies the Discourse.

E it is. :-D

thank you for great explanation

i want to add a little.

in choice b, arguing ... is correct because it modifies the whole action and subject in the main clause. Yes, this modification is correct. many persons think this modification is incorrect. i dont think so

but choice b is still wrong because "in a treatise" makes the choice B illogic. so, arguing happen in the Discourse and in a treaties. this is wrong.

gmat cheat us in meaning analysis. so, be ready for this cheating and try to analyse meaning carefully
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 09:37

A. arguing in a treatise for women to have equal political and legal rights ( this present particle phrase is being used to modify the subject Mott, incorrect parallelism)
B. arguing in a treatise for equal political and legal rights for women (couldn't find any error)
C. a treatise that advocates women’s equal political and legal rights ( couldn't find any error other than incorrect parallelism )
D. a treatise advocating women’s equal political and legal rights ( incorrect parallelism)
E. a treatise that argued for equal political and legal rights for women( couldn't find any error)

An author can argue in his compilation, what is wrong if "arguing" modifies the author?

AjiteshArun generis

sir, your help is required for this question.

why option B is not the correct choice?
is my explanation for option C correct?

Thanks
In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a   [#permalink] 19 May 2019, 09:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

In 1850 Lucretia Mott published her Discourse on Women, arguing in a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics