Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [144]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [59]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [25]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concl [#permalink]
Kudos
The OA is E.

When I look back at this question, I realise the mistake I did in the exam.

My thought process while doing this question was:

Is the recommendation a result of the researchers' conclusion? No. The researchers are recommending based on their conclusion. Hence A and B are out.

So, it is between C, D and E.

D sounded odd. I thought 'they' in E is not necessary and I went with C in the exam.

But C is wrong because it says 'recommended for middle-aged people'. Usage of 'for' is wrong.

Hence E is the answer.

But, I have two questions here.

1. Is my reasoning above correct?
2. Do we require 'they' here? Is it okay if we don't have 'they' here, as the subject is obvious?
Or do we definitely require a subject specified for FANBOYS preceded by comma? (should connect two clauses)

Kindly help me on this. Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concl [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatter0913 wrote:
The OA is E.

When I look back at this question, I realise the mistake I did in the exam.

My thought process while doing this question was:

Is the recommendation a result of the researchers' conclusion? No. The researchers are recommending based on their conclusion. Hence A and B are out.

So, it is between C, D and E.

D sounded odd. I thought 'they' in E is not necessary and I went with C in the exam.

But C is wrong because it says 'recommended for middle-aged people'. Usage of 'for' is wrong.

Hence E is the answer.

But, I have two questions here.

1. Is my reasoning above correct?
2. Do we require 'they' here? Is it okay if we don't have 'they' here, as the subject is obvious?
Or do we definitely require a subject specified for FANBOYS preceded by comma? (should connect two clauses)

Kindly help me on this. Thanks.

Hey, You just posted the OA some seconds before I did :) Just kidding.

C is wrong because it's not a correct idiom.
Correct idiom is: Recommend somebody FOR something.
--OR--
Recommend someone to do something.
--NOT--
Recommend for somebody to do something.

Assume E is correct, we can eliminate "they" --> structure is: X concluded that.....and recommended that............... <== same subject X

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [15]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,

"Recommend" is an example of a bossy verb and the correct usage should be:

bossy verb+that+subject+command subjunctive (use of infinitive "to" or "should" is incorrect. Hence we can eliminate options A, B C & D by this logic only(there are other reasons also).

Hence E is correct.

Regards

Argha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Actually it is very simple if we know that 'recommend' can only take command subjunctive mood.

The structure for command subjunctive construction is - Bossy verb + that + be or bare form of verb.

The only option that follows this particular structure is option E. thus option E is the correct answer (I did it in 30 sec)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1713 [1]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

After going through these posts i am still not very clear about why A is incorrect.
Can someone explain in more detail about this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [14]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akhil911 wrote:
Hi,

After going through these posts i am still not very clear about why A is incorrect.
Can someone explain in more detail about this.

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, strongly recommending middle-aged people to undertake some form of regular exercise.

(A). strongly recommending middle-aged people to
Recommending is a verb-ing modifier. As a rule, verb-ing modifier after a comma, will modify the preceding clause (and either provides additional info about the preceding clause, or presents the result of the preceding clause. When it does so, it associates itself with the subject and the verb of the preceding clause.)
Ex: Researchers published the results of the experiment, winning the prestigious award.

In our case, sedentary lifestyles ... is NOT recommending..

(B). strongly recommending that middle-aged people should
Same issue as in A

(C). and strongly recommended for middle-aged people to
Many issues in C. Researchers concluded that ... recommended that.. would be a proper construction. "recommended for" is unidiomatic.

(D). and their strong recommendation was for middle-aged people to
"recommendation was for middle-aged people to..." is a wrong construction.

(E). and they strongly recommended that middle-aged people
Correct construction - Researchers concluded that sedentary... , and they strongly recommended that middle-aged people...
Notice the comma preceding 'and' - the comma + and construction joins the two independent clauses correctly.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
As posted previously by folks, I have the same query.

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, strongly recommending middle-aged people to undertake some form of regular exercise.

The -ING modifier modifiers 'researchers'.

MR, strongly recommending blah blah blah, concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases.

And recommendation can likely be assumes as a result of the conclusion of researchers.

After concluding they recommended

Please confirm
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TGC wrote:
As posted previously by folks, I have the same query.

The -ING modifier modifiers 'researchers'.

MR, strongly recommending blah blah blah, concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases.

And recommendation can likely be assumes as a result of the conclusion of researchers.

After concluding they recommended

Please confirm

Responding to a pm:

The verb recommend needs subjunctive. So "A recommends that B do C" is the proper format.

Also, when I read the sentence, there is a disconnect between researchers and recommending. I expect the VERB+ing modifier to modify the closest subject which is 'sedentary lifestyles'. But it actually modifies researchers and that doesn't work. We are looking for the subject researchers again which option (E) provides by using 'they'.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A:
If we use a comma and the present participle ‘recommending’ here, it will modify the ‘that clause’. So ‘recommending’ will be done by ‘sedentary life-styles’. Obviously, this is incorrect since the researchers are the ones who recommend exercise. So we cannot use the participle here. Hence we eliminate options (A) and (B).
B: Same

C & D:
Options (C) and (D) are unidiomatic in their usage of the verb recommend.
You recommend X for Y (say a person X for position Y)
or
You recommend that X do Y (say a person X do Y)

Option (E) uses recommend properly – ‘recommended that X do Y’. Also, ‘… researchers concluded that … and recommended that …’ have parallel structure.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM

This is E sir -

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, and they strongly recommended that middle-aged people

But what if we omit they from E in that case also would the sentence be correct?

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, and strongly recommended that middle-aged people

If we Omit they still I find that the parallelism is maintained -

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that [.............], and
strongly recommended that [................................]

Medical researchers did two things concluded and recommended (Subjunctive) and both are in parallel.

I need your Opinion sir. This question is from Gmat Prep Paper based Exams.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
honchos wrote:

This is E sir -

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, and they strongly recommended that middle-aged people

But what if we omit they from E in that case also would the sentence be correct?

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to heart and lung diseases that shorten lives, and strongly recommended that middle-aged people

In 1984 medical researchers at Harvard and Stanford universities concluded that [.............], and

Medical researchers did two things concluded and recommended (Subjunctive) and both are in parallel.

I think ( I am not absolutely sure) that if there is a comma before AND, then the following clause must contain its own subject and verb;

If there was no comma before AND then we are allowed to omit 'they'.

When we use comma + and then we need not be so concerned about parallelism but still it is better to have both the clauses on either side of AND parallel.

When we use and without comma then the questions needs to be parallel and we have to skip the subject in the clause after and.

I say so, because I have come across the OG question intar-the-oldest-hispanic-theater-company-in-new-york-has-44445.html.

When you read the sentence, you will find what I say.

Intar, the oldest Hispanic theater company in New York, has moved away from the Spanish classics and now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those in the United States.
(A) now it draws on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors who live abroad and of those
(B) now draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors, both those who live abroad and those who live
(C) it draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors now, both those living abroad and who live
(D) draws now on the works both of contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and who are
(E) draws on the works now of both contemporary Hispanic authors living abroad and those

The OE
Grammatical construction; Idiom; Parallelism
The pronoun it before the second verb results in an ungrammatical construction; removing the pronoun removes the error. The scope of those is unclear (authors, or contemporary Hispanic authors). The correct version of the sentence makes it clear that the company draws on the works of contemporary Hispanic authors who live in two different places. Those who live abroad is parallel to those who live in the United States

.A Because there is no comma after classics, the use of it creates an ungrammatical construction. The construction following both is unclear
.B Correct. In this sentence, Intar is the subject of draws on; parallel constructions follow both . . . and
.C It creates an ungrammatical construction; those living abroad is not parallel to who live
.D The construction following both is not parallel to the construction following and
.E Now modifies the verb and should precede it. The parallelism of the both . . . and construction is violated.

I hope you find the above discussion interesting and helpful.
I am no expert but would prefer some expert opinion.

I DONOT MIND KUDOS :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
honchos wrote:

This is E sir -

Dear honchos,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, you are perfectly correct. Without the "they," we still would have the parallelism between the two verbs for the same subject. That would be essentially correct. The presence or absence of a comma before the word "and" is stylistic. With two separate clauses, as in the OA, we need the comma. With parallel verbs, we often wouldn't have the comma, but if the first verb phrase is long and complicated enough, we might include the clause for clarity. Here, the first verb phrase includes a "that" clause that contains a second "that" clause --- that is long and complicated enough that the comma would be justified.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [1]
Given Kudos: 130