It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3041 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 10:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:48) correct 47% (00:56) wrong based on 114 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150. How much money did Janice win?

(1) Ralph's winnings equaled \(\frac{1}{2}\) of Janice's winnings

(2) Ralph won 10% of all the money won in the game.

Please Explain
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3041 [0], given: 220

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8946 [3], given: 111

Re: In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2016, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150. How much money did Janice win?

Please Explain

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to explain. :-)

We are told these two individuals are playing poker. Often poker is played by a group, but it is possible for just two people to play poker. If both Janice and Ralph won money in the game, then we know for a fact that they weren't playing just each other. There must have been at least one more person, some person or people who took the $150 loss on the other side of the $150 gain of these two.

Statement #1: Ralph's winnings equaled \(\frac{1}{2}\) of Janice's winnings
So, Ralph's winnings are "one part" and Janice's are "two parts," so together, the $150 represents "three parts." Ralph won $50 and Janice won $100. This statement leads directly to a definitive numerical answer to the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: Ralph won 10% of all the money won in the game.
"All the money in the game" would mean the total amount bet by all players playing. How many players are playing? We don't know. Were Ralph and Janice the only players who gained money? Did other people gain money also? There's a ton we don't know, so we have no way to compute the total amount of money in the game. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

First statement is sufficient, second isn't. OA = (A)

Just to make sure you are familiar with the terminology: suppose Janice, Ralph, Chris, Kevin, and I play poker. Suppose we each come to the table with $100, and at some point, each one of us has all that money in at least one bet on the table. This means there is $500 in the game. Now suppose at the end of the game:
Janice walks away with $200
Ralph walks away with $150
Chris walks away with $100
Kevin walks away with $50
I walk away with $0
Then we would say, Janice has won $100 or netted $100 or cleared $50. Ralph netted $50.
Chris broke even: he left the game with the exact same amount with which he started.
Kevin has lost $50, or he is out $50, and I am out $100.
That's the basic terminology concerning financial gains & losses in poker.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8946 [3], given: 111

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 20:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Please Explain

Dear AbdurRakib,
I'm happy to explain. :-)

We are told these two individuals are playing poker. Often poker is played by a group, but it is possible for just two people to play poker. If both Janice and Ralph won money in the game, then we know for a fact that they weren't playing just each other. There must have been at least one more person, some person or people who took the $150 loss on the other side of the $150 gain of these two.

Statement #1: Ralph's winnings equaled \(\frac{1}{2}\) of Janice's winnings
So, Ralph's winnings are "one part" and Janice's are "two parts," so together, the $150 represents "three parts." Ralph won $50 and Janice won $100. This statement leads directly to a definitive numerical answer to the prompt question. This statement, alone and by itself, is sufficient.

Statement #2: Ralph won 10% of all the money won in the game.
"All the money in the game" would mean the total amount bet by all players playing. How many players are playing? We don't know. Were Ralph and Janice the only players who gained money? Did other people gain money also? There's a ton we don't know, so we have no way to compute the total amount of money in the game. This statement, alone and by itself, is not sufficient.

First statement is sufficient, second isn't. OA = (A)

Just to make sure you are familiar with the terminology: suppose Janice, Ralph, Chris, Kevin, and I play poker. Suppose we each come to the table with $100, and at some point, each one of us has all that money in at least one bet on the table. This means there is $500 in the game. Now suppose at the end of the game:
Janice walks away with $200
Ralph walks away with $150
Chris walks away with $100
Kevin walks away with $50
I walk away with $0
Then we would say, Janice has won $100 or netted $100 or cleared $50. Ralph netted $50.
Chris broke even: he left the game with the exact same amount with which he started.
Kevin has lost $50, or he is out $50, and I am out $100.
That's the basic terminology concerning financial gains & losses in poker.

Does all this make sense?

Mike ,
Thanks for your response. Couple of questions:-

1) What if a person like me who has never played poker will understand that poker is zero sum game? The only reason I could make out the possibility of multi player game was from statement two. Thankfully I saw that coming and avoided the trap :)

2) This question is quite simple if we consider the possibility of other players in the game. It increases the difficulty not from a math quotient but from a verbal quotient.
Do we we expect such questions on GMAt to appear on more challenging problem sets?

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 196

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8946 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 09:15
ajdse22 wrote:
Mike ,
Thanks for your response. Couple of questions:-

1) What if a person like me who has never played poker will understand that poker is zero sum game? The only reason I could make out the possibility of multi player game was from statement two. Thankfully I saw that coming and avoided the trap :)

2) This question is quite simple if we consider the possibility of other players in the game. It increases the difficulty not from a math quotient but from a verbal quotient.
Do we we expect such questions on GMAt to appear on more challenging problem sets?

Dear ajdse22,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't think this is a very good question, a very GMAT-like question. It would be very much unlike the GMAT to make a problem hinge on the details of a game with which not everyone is familiar.

I would say, on a side note, that poker is widely played enough that even if you don't play it, it would be worth reading a little about it just to get some familiarity with it. The game of poker readily lends itself to a number of metaphors, and if one of these metaphors were to arise in business school or in your career, it might be embarrassing not to know enough about the game to appreciate the metaphor.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8946 [0], given: 111

Expert Post
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
P

Kudos [?]: 3141 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 19:49
If we modify the original condition and the question, from J+R=150, there are 2 variables (J and R) and 1 equation (J+R=150). In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need 1 equation. However, since con 1) and con 2) each has 1 equation, there is a high chance that D is the correct answer.
In case of con 1), from R=J/2, the answer is unique and the condition is sufficient.
In case of con 2), we cannot know ‘all the money won in the game’ it is out of scope and the condition is not sufficient. Hence, the correct answer is A.
Attachments

variable approach's answer probability.jpg
variable approach's answer probability.jpg [ 219.74 KiB | Viewed 747 times ]

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Find a 10% off coupon code for GMAT Club members.
“Receive 5 Math Questions & Solutions Daily”
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself
See our Youtube demo

Kudos [?]: 3141 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2017, 10:17
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150.   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2017, 10:17

In a poker game, Janice's and Ralph's combined earnings totaled $150.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap