Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [41]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [9]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Given Kudos: 141
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. Consider EIU as one. then total possible combination of words = 5* 4! = 120

2. Consider EI and IU together total possible combinations = [5 (positions for EI out of 7) * 5! (rest of the letters)] +

[ 5 (positions for IU)* 5! (rest of the letters)]

Now in half of the combinations U will be ahead of EI and E will be ahead of IU.

So 1/2[5 (positions for EI out of 7) * 5! (rest of the letters)] +1/2 [ 5 (positions for IU)* 5! (rest of the letters)]

total will give = 300 + 300 = 600.

3. Consider E-I-U-- with one letter spacing in between = 3(positions of EIU shifting) * 4! (letters to be arranged) = 72

4. Consider E-I--U- and E---I-U with two letter spacing between IU and EI = 2 * 4! = 48

thus totaling 120 + 600 + 72 + 48 = 840.

Alternately , Consider

all possible letter arrangements = 7!

only one combination out of 3! combinations possible for EIU. meaning 3 are taken in a group,but they are not alike.
Means total combinations remain 7! and not 5! ( EIU together + 4 letters).

So, essentially it is 7P3 =
Hence 7!/ 3! = 840
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
three letters can be arranged in 3! ways.
only one combination EIU is required.

7 letters can be arranged in 7! ways.

thus 7!/ 3! * 1 = 840.

D
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [3]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hussi9 wrote:
In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a row so that the vowels appear in alphabetic order?

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

------------------------------------------------------
IIM CAT Level Question

Without limitation the words of JUPITER can be arranged in 7! ways..
Now there are 3 vowels I, E, U

So these vowels can be arranged among themselves in 3! ways.
We need to find the arrangement in vowels are in alphabetical order i.e. EIU which is only one out of 3! ways.

Hence, total number of required arrangement = 7!/3! = 7*6*5*4 = 42 * 20 = 840

Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
hussi9 wrote:
In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a row so that the vowels appear in alphabetic order?

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

Commenting as I struggled getting my head around the concept. Kudos given above.

There are \(7_P7 = 7!\) ways to arrange the 7 letters.

For each of these combinations, there is a single valid arrangement of the vowels: \(\frac{1}{3_P3}\)

\(7! \times \frac{1}{3!} = \frac{7!}{3!} = \frac{7 \times 6 \times 5 \times 4 \times 3!}{3!} = 840 = D\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
bellcurve wrote:
Amt2k9,

Conceptwise, I did not get your 7!/3!. If the word was, Let's say JUPUTUR, number of ways the letter can be arranged is 7!/3! ways (total ! / identical !). You used the same concept where the letters are not identical. You mentioned that those are not alike, but still not clear on why we still can do 7!/3!.

Since the order of vowels will always remain the same despite these occupying different positions -> if we assume each vowel as X then our question is same as asking "arrange JPTRXXX" => in all 7!/3! ways
=> Choice (4) is the right answer
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hussi9 wrote:

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

IIM CAT Level Question

Alternatively, think of it this way:

The vowels must be arranged like this:

E I U
Now there are 4 spots (shown by x) for J:
x E x I x U x
Say we choose E J I U

Next we place P. There are 5 spots for P:
x E x J x I x U x

and so on for T and R too.

So in all we get 4*5*6*7 = 840 different ways (you don't need to calculate this. Since there is a 2 and 5, it will end in 0)

Answer (D)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
@amit2k9, could you please explain this in more detail ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Amt2k9,

Conceptwise, I did not get your 7!/3!. If the word was, Let's say JUPUTUR, number of ways the letter can be arranged is 7!/3! ways (total ! / identical !). You used the same concept where the letters are not identical. You mentioned that those are not alike, but still not clear on why we still can do 7!/3!.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Darn ! I am not Amt2k9. I think it is pretty obvious that in 1/6th of the ways out of 7! the vowels will be ordered. This reasoning is parallel to the situation when we have 3 people lets say A B C sitting in a row and we want to know the ways in which they will be alphabetical order. There is just one way ie. 3!/6=1 or 3!/3!

The division by 3! is NOT owned by the concept of weeding out the duplicates. We will apply it when we need it :wink:

bellcurve wrote:
Amt2k9,

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a [#permalink]
I have really tried to understand the concepts applied here from all the explanations but I still don't.Can someone be kind enough to help with a link that explains these concepts clearly...:-(:-(

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
Lithium wrote:
Kem12 wrote:
I have really tried to understand the concepts applied here from all the explanations but I still don't.Can someone be kind enough to help with a link that explains these concepts clearly...:-(:-(

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

If you are struggling with the above methods like me, I'm going to explain to you my way of solving ; However I don't know whether it would be sufficient to clear your doubts or not ?!

There are a TOTAL '7-seats' for the alphabets of the letter 'JUPITER' out of which '3' are vowels & '4' are consonants ;

The question asks us to find the total no. of ways in which vowels will be in a particular order (,i.e, alphabetical order & if it was a no. code maybe the question would have told ascending/descending order) ;

Coming back to the question, we know there are '7-seats' => We have to choose '3-seats' for our vowels ( E, I, & U ) => we can do that in 7C3 ways ;
Or, simply [7!/(3!x4!)] ways [This is what I meant => C C V V V C C, C V C V C V C, C C C V V V C, etc.]
Now, the order of vowels is 'E I U' => Total no. of arrangements = (7C3 x 1)
[And NOT (7C3 x 3!) Since, doing so we would include the arrangements 'UIE, UEI, IUE, IEU, EUI' along with 'EIU' which we don't want as per the question]

Now, we are left with '4-seats' for consonants (J, P,T, & R) => We can choose '4-seats' for '4' consonants in 4C4 (or 1) way ;
[But here we are allowed for arrangements, i.e, JEUITPR, JEUITRP, EUIJPRT, EUITPR, etc] ;
Hence, we can do it in 4C4x4! ways ;

THEREFORE, TOTAL NO. of WAYS IN WHICH VOWELS STAYS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER IN 'JUPITER' = 7C3x1x4C4x4! = 840 ways = option D.

Hope it helps... :) :)

Thank you so much
:blushing this was so helpful
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
hussi9 wrote:

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

IIM CAT Level Question

JUPITER
total 7 ! is the ways it can be arranged
but question has asked vowels appear in alphabetical order
so
EIUJPTR would be the sequence
we can put EIU ; 3!

7!/3! = 840

IMO D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hussi9 wrote:

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

IIM CAT Level Question

Alternatively, think of it this way:

The vowels must be arranged like this:

E I U
Now there are 4 spots (shown by x) for J:
x E x I x U x
Say we choose E J I U

Next we place P. There are 5 spots for P:
x E x J x I x U x

and so on for T and R too.

So in all we get 4*5*6*7 = 840 different ways (you don't need to calculate this. Since there is a 2 and 5, it will end in 0)

Answer (D)

Hi VeritasKarishma,
Kindly, help me understand why P has 5 spots and so on.
J has 4 spots and then should't be 3 spots for P and so on...
Please help!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
In how many ways can the letters of the word JUPITER be arranged in a [#permalink]
hussi9 wrote:

(A) 736
(B) 768
(C) 792
(D) 840
(E) 876

IIM CAT Level Question

I solved this question,in the inline way
i fixed the position of E
E _ _ _ _ _ _, Now here if I U takes the 1st 2 spots Then the remaining spots will be filled in 4*3*2*1 = 24 ways and I U can move 4 more times making the total ways as 24*5 = 120 ways

In the next case I will fix E I this time and move the rest of the alphabets i.e. E I _ U _ _ _ and so on, this will give you 96 ways.

Next Case, I fixed E I U, this will give you 24 ways.

Total = 120 + 96 + 24= 240, now EIU can also be UIE, this makes 240*2 ways = 840 ways

OA D

Originally posted by KanishkM on 24 Jan 2019, 20:39.
Last edited by KanishkM on 24 Jan 2019, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
amit2k9 wrote:

2. Consider EI and IU together total possible combinations = [5 (positions for EI out of 7) * 5! (rest of the letters)] +

Now in half of the combinations U will be ahead of EI and E will be ahead of IU.

So 1/2[5 (positions for EI out of 7) * 5! (rest of the letters)] +1/2 [ 5 (positions for IU)* 5! (rest of the letters)]

3. Consider E-I-U-- with one letter spacing in between = 3(positions of EIU shifting) * 4! (letters to be arranged) = 72

4. Consider E-I--U- and E---I-U with two letter spacing between IU and EI = 2 * 4! = 48

Alternately , Consider

only one combination out of 3! combinations possible for EIU. meaning 3 are taken in a group,but they are not alike.

Hence 7!/ 3! = 840

amit2k9 wrote:

Alternately , Consider

Hence 7!/ 3! = 840

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Hello!
Here is my approach

Consonants can be arranged in 4!=24 ways leaving 5 places for Vowels _J_P_T_R_

There are 4 possible scenarios for the only alowed Vowels sequence EIU:
1. EIU as single solid unit goes into one of 5 available places = 5×4!=120
2. Each of E, I, and U take one of 5 available places between Consonants. So we need to choose 3 out of 5 = 5C3×4!=10×24=240
3. EI and U accomodate 2 out of 5 available places. So we choose 2 out of 5 = 5C2×4!=10×4!=240
4. E and IU accomodate 2 out of 5 available places. 5C2×4!=10×4!=240

120+240+240+240=840
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
This is how I solved this:

First we can select 4 places out of 7 places for placing CONSONANTS and at these 4 places CONSONANTS can be arranged in 4! ways and at the remaining places we can select each vowel alphabetically and place them in alphabetic order i.e:

7C4 * 4! * 1C1 *1C1 * 1C1 = 35 * 24 = 840 (D)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts