Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 00:13 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 00:13
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [25]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4603 [3]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 484 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1792 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: In order to improve the long-term savings rate of its citizens, [#permalink]
Kudos
babuvgmat wrote:
In order to improve the long-term savings rate of its citizens, Levaska’s government has decided to introduce special savings accounts, Citizens can save up to $3,000 a year in special accounts without having to pay tax on the interest, unless they withdraw money from the account before they reach the age of sixty-five. If they do withdraw any money before that age, they have to pay tax on the accumulated interest and a penalty.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously threatens the success of the government’s plan?

A. The banks and financial institutions where the special accounts will be held lobbled hard for their introduction.
B. Nearly all workers in Levaska can already save money in tax-free accounts through their workplace.
C. For the past ten years, Levaskans have been depositing an ever smaller percentage of their income in long-term savings.
D. Many Levaskans continue to work beyond the age of sixty-five.
E. In certain circumstances, such as a serious illness, the government plans to waive the penalty on early withdrawals from the special accounts.

Could anyone please help me in how B is suffice, as it just considers only workers but the answer should address all citizens

Here is my 2 cents.

The plan is to improve long term savings. This itself infers that the savings can be improved or there is scope of improvement.

To attract customers, government will give tax rebates on the interest of these savings.

Combining above statements, an assumption can be derived that tax rebates will make customers put money in savings account, increasing the overall savings. We have to attack this assumption.

A. The banks and financial institutions where the special accounts will be held lobbled hard for their introduction. SO will the savings increase? It doesn't answer this question.

B. Nearly all workers in Levaska can already save money in tax-free accounts through their workplace. If workers are already saving money in tax free account, then why will they save in special savings accounts from Government. This weakens the argument as there is no additional benefit other than tax-free account.

C. For the past ten years, Levaskans have been depositing an ever smaller percentage of their income in long-term savings. So will they continue the same trend of saving less? No answer

D. Many Levaskans continue to work beyond the age of sixty-five. Savings are not talked about.

E. In certain circumstances, such as a serious illness, the government plans to waive the penalty on early withdrawals from the special accounts. This can be a possible strengthener
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
Re: In order to improve the long-term savings rate of its citizens, [#permalink]
Kudos
B is the best choice but still a terrible answer. Even if every worker had access to such accounts already, the gov opening up these special savings accounts to all citizens would strengthen their plan to improve saving habits. Drug dealers, criminals, money launderers...all kinds of income likely not covered previously can not be saved tax free. This is not a good question.

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 450 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
I'm seriously puzzled. How can this question be a part of exam pack 2. I got this question in default exam pack practice exam 2, the free one which comes along with the software. I do have exam pack 2 installed with the software. Is it that the software merged the exam pack 2 in the default one or is this question just repeated over there as has been the case with so many other questions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
In order to improve the long-term savings rate of its citizens, [#permalink]
Hi Experts,

I had eliminated B because it talks specifically about "workers" and the question is about "citizens".

We do not know if "workers" can represent the entire "citizen" population or it is a mere proportion of "citizens".

How is B the right answer ?

Please clarify !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
Hi deepajain90, I had posed me the same question , I can only think that because theoretically the only people that can put aside money are people with jobs, then these would be the citizens using these government introduced savings accounts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
The passage states that a special savings account has been introduced with the aim to increase the long term savings rate of people. Deposit can be upto 3000 $ and there will be no tax levied on the interest that this money earns, unless a person withdraws the money prematurely. Now, this is actually what happens in the real world also. We all know about such saving schemes. But still many of us actually find ourselves unable to save money for our future, isn't it ?

A scenario actually comes to my mind which may actually weaken the good intention behind the scheme. What if, on one hand, the government introduces this saving scheme, but on the other hand, it also plans to increase the tax levied in other areas for people who invest in these schemes, such as raising the tax being levied on the income, or on the consumer goods or grocery items that these people buy. Its possible that the citizen actually now deposits lesser total money in saving schemes. So whatever the tax benefit he gets in this scheme in nullified by the loss he makes by not being able to save more principal money in other normal schemes. In such a situation , the savings in the long run for such people is only going to fall.

Now, this situations is a biased one, but that's all I could think of before proceeding to see the choices :

1) This option choice doesn't seem to have any link with the savings of the people. Even if these specific institutions worked hard , it doesn't mean that the savings made by people will reduce. Only in cases where such institutions say that oh, because we have worked hard, we need to levy a surcharge on our services, which actually happens to be more than the tax saved, would this option become a strong weakener. Incorrect choice.

2) Okay , so the people are in good situation already. So how does this scheme going to make a difference. It might just not be so attractive for people. It seems unlikely that they will invest their money in this account when they already have tried and tested similarly strong schemes to choose from. A possible correct choice.

3) Does a smaller percentage of the income mean smaller saving amount ? Not really . What if the income increased every year in such a way its smaller percent happens to be greater in amount than the year before ? Such a scenario wont actually make the people sway from this scheme. Incorrect choice.

4) Even if people work beyond 65, doesn't mean that they will not invest in this scheme. They still might prefer it. Incorrect choice.

5) If this is the scenario, people would actually prefer the scheme more, is it not ? Then how does this choice become a weakener. It actually only strengthens the position. Incorrect choice.

Correct choice should be B .
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts