Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [1]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, points P and Q lie on the circle with [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
I need someone like Bunuel or walker to look at my statement and tell if this is true.

Since OP and OQ are perpendicular to each other and since OP=OQ=2(radius) , the coordinates of Q are same as P but in REVERSE order, keep the sign +/- based on Quandrant it lies. in this case Q(1,\sqrt{3)}.

In the figure above, points P and Q lie on the circle with center O. What is the value of s?

Yes you are right.

Point Q in I quadrant \((1, \sqrt{3})\);
Point P in II quadrant \((-\sqrt{3}, 1)\);
Point T in III quadrant \((-1, -\sqrt{3})\) (OT perpendicular to OP);
Point R in IV quadrant \((\sqrt{3},-1)\) (OR perpendicular to OQ).

Is it the case of reflection in Y axis ?
I doubt that but still want to clarify..
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [0]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Expert Reply
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
I need someone like Bunuel or walker to look at my statement and tell if this is true.

Since OP and OQ are perpendicular to each other and since OP=OQ=2(radius) , the coordinates of Q are same as P but in REVERSE order, keep the sign +/- based on Quandrant it lies. in this case Q(1,\sqrt{3)}.

In the figure above, points P and Q lie on the circle with center O. What is the value of s?

Yes you are right.

Point Q in I quadrant \((1, \sqrt{3})\);
Point P in II quadrant \((-\sqrt{3}, 1)\);
Point T in III quadrant \((-1, -\sqrt{3})\) (OT perpendicular to OP);
Point R in IV quadrant \((\sqrt{3},-1)\) (OR perpendicular to OQ).

Is it the case of reflection in Y axis ?
I doubt that but still want to clarify..

No. \((-\sqrt{3}, 1)\) is not a reflection of \((1, \sqrt{3})\) around the Y-axis. The reflection of \((1, \sqrt{3})\) around the Y-axis is \((-1, \sqrt{3})\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think I understand how to solve the problem now, but I am having trouble understanding one assumption that people are making in many of the solutions: that O is at the origin. When I tried to solve this problem in the practice test I got to the point where I knew the radius was 2 and that line QO had a slope that was the negative reciprocal of line PO (since they were perpendicular bisectors), but I couldn't solve for slope m of line QO because I was stuck with 1=-sqrt(3)*m+b.

Can we assume that O is at the origin even though it isn't stated in the question, just because it looks like it is? Why can we assume that and not that the y-axis is equidistant from points P and Q (the diagram shows the y-axis passing directly in the middle of the 90 degree angle shown)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
1 goofy quetion please chetan2u Bunuel Gladiator59 VeritasKarishma

Since we can calculate that PQ (distance) is 2 root 2 and we know that X coordinate of PO is - root 3 then why isnt x coordinate of QO simply the difference between the two values ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
In the figure above, points P and Q lie on the circle with [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
altairahmad wrote:

Since we can calculate that PQ (distance) is 2 root 2 and we know that X coordinate of PO is - root 3 then why isnt x coordinate of QO simply the difference between the two values ?

I am not sure why you think that PQ is 2*sqrt(2). Also, PQ is not a line parallel to x axis.

Hi VeritasKarishma : PQ is 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) because triangle OPQ is an isosceles triangle given 2 sides are equal with a 90 degree in between.

Hence triangle OPQ is a 45-45-90 . Hence the base is 2*\(\sqrt{2}\)

If PQ would have been a straight line parallel to the x axis (I don't think PQ is parallel to the X axis, but if so, could we have done this to find the value of s ?)

PQ = 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) and distance of PZ is \(\sqrt{3}\), then ZQ should be 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) - \(\sqrt{3}\)

(Z is not shown but z is the point where line PQ intersects with the Y axis)

Thoughts ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
altairahmad wrote:

I am not sure why you think that PQ is 2*sqrt(2). Also, PQ is not a line parallel to x axis.

Hi VeritasKarishma : PQ is 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) because triangle OPQ is an isosceles triangle given 2 sides are equal with a 90 degree in between.

Hence triangle OPQ is a 45-45-90 . Hence the base is 2*\(\sqrt{2}\)

If PQ would have been a straight line parallel to the x axis (I don't think PQ is parallel to the X axis, but if so, could we have done this to find the value of s ?)

PQ = 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) and distance of PZ is \(\sqrt{3}\), then ZQ should be 2*\(\sqrt{2}\) - \(\sqrt{3}\)

(Z is not shown but z is the point where line PQ intersects with the Y axis)

Thoughts ?

Yes, in that case you could have done this. But do not go by the figure given. It could be drawn to misdirect you. Just because PQ looks parallel to X axis, it doesn't mean it is. Redraw it depending on the data you have and using extreme cases.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92918 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts