Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19738 [215]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [37]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29934 [15]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
gmatt1476 wrote:
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line containing the distinct points P and Q ?

(1) Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x| + |y| = 1.
(2) Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x + y| = 1.

Target question: What is the slope of the line containing the distinct points P and Q ?

Statement 1: Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x| + |y| = 1
Since most people aren't familiar with the graph of |x| + |y| = 1, it makes sense to test some values
There are infinitely many values of x and y that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
Case a: For point P, x = 1 and y = 0 (1,0) and, for point Q, x = 0 and y = 1 (0,1). In this case, the slope of the line = (1 - 0)/(0 - 1) = -1
Case b: For point P, x = -1 and y = 0 (-1,0) and, for point Q, x = 0 and y = 1 (0,1). In this case, the slope of the line = (1 - 0)/(0 - -1) = 1
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x + y| = 1
Before we do anything else, let's first check to see whether we can re-test the same values we used to show that statement 1 is not sufficient.
Yes, it turns out that we CAN re-use those same values to get:
Case a: For point P, x = 1 and y = 0 (1,0) and, for point Q, x = 0 and y = 1 (0,1). In this case, the slope of the line = (1 - 0)/(0 - 1) = -1
Case b: For point P, x = -1 and y = 0 (-1,0) and, for point Q, x = 0 and y = 1 (0,1). In this case, the slope of the line = (1 - 0)/(0 - -1) = 1
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Since we were able to use the same counter-examples to show that each statement ALONE is not sufficient, the same counter-examples will satisfy the two statements COMBINED.
In other words,
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [6]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V33
Send PM
Re: In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Can it be B?
1. Graph for |x|+|y| =1 can have multiple slopes. NS.
2. Graph for |x+y|=1 would have single slope. Sufficient
https://gmatclub.com/forum/download/fil ... 9848d3bf81
Attachments

IMG_0131 2.jpg
IMG_0131 2.jpg [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 33884 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line containing the distinct points P and Q?

Really nice DS question that tests your understanding of slope and absolute values as well as your logical reasoning skills.

Let's start by understanding the Question stem. P and Q are distinct points and we need to find the slope of the line containing P and Q. So it's a unique value-based DS question.

(1) Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x| + |y| = 1.

Do you think the graph |x| + |y| = 1 will represent only a single straight line? No.

Definitely, the graph will have more than 1 line due to the properties of absolute values. |x| can be x or -x depending on the sign of x . The same can be applied to |y|.
Logically thinking, this info is enough to conclude that Statement 1 is not sufficient.

Because there are 2 possible cases for points P and Q.

Case 1 :P and Q are distinct points in the same line 1.

Case 2: P and Q are in Line 1 and line 2 respectively and the slope of the line connecting P and Q will be different from the slope in case 1.

Since we are not able to find a unique value for slope, Statement 1 alone is not sufficient.

The graph of |x + y| = 1 will also have two straight lines. Based on the definition of modulus, the graph will have 2 lines.
Line 1: x + y = 1 if x+y ≥ 0
Line 2 : -(x+ y) = 1 ==> -x-y = 1 if x+y < 0.

Due to the same reasons mentioned in statement 1, a unique value for the slope is not possible. Hence, statement 2 alone is also insufficient.

The next option we have is to combine both statements. Even though if you combine, we should be able to come up with a single common line segment in order to get a unique value for slope.

Let's analyze St 1. in detail to proceed further. |x| + |y| = 1.
|x| and |y| will behave differently based on each quadrant.

Case 1: x ≥ 0 and y ≥ 0 : Quadrant 1
x + y = 1

Case 2: x < 0 and y ≥ 0 : Quadrant 2

-x + y = 1

Case 3: x < 0 and y < 0 : Quadrant 3

-x - y = 1

Case 4: x ≥ 0 and y < 0: Quadrant 4
x - y = 1

So, the graph will contain a different line segments in each quadrant .So a total of 4 line segments are there. You can also try to plot the graph using x and y-intercepts of each line for better understanding.

Combining both statements, we can see that 2 line segments are common in both graphs (St 1 and St.2) in quadrants 1 and 3.
x + y = 1 in quadrant 1 and -x - y = 1 in quadrant 3.

So, the points P and Q can lie in the same line segment or in the different ones.
Due to the same reasons mentioned earlier, since we have 2 different line segments, getting a unique value for the slope of the line connecting P and Q is not possible. Therefore, option E is the correct answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT Mentor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
romen2017 wrote:
Can it be B?

VeritasKarishma Bunuel

I did exactly what Romen has done here.
What are we both missing?

Thanks for your time :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29934 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
suminha wrote:
Hi, Brent, thank you for the precise explanation.

I have a question,
I think I’ve seen somewhere that when we see an equation such as this, \(|x|+|y|=1\), we can simply calculate in this way: \(x+y=1\), because anyway those are positives.
So I thought that I can make the equation \(y=-x+1\). Thus the slope is \(-1\).

What is wrong with thinking this way and do you know in what kind of situation we should consider \(|x|+|y|=1\) \(x+y=1\)?

Thank you in advance!

We can quickly see that \(|x|+|y|=1\) and \(x+y=1\) are not equivalent equations.
For example, the values x = -1 and y = 0 satisfy the first equation but not the second.

One instance in which we can replace \(|x|+|y|=1\) with \(x+y=1\) would be if we're told that x and y are both positive. I'm not sure about other instances.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:
In the standard (x,y) coordinate plane, what is the slope of the line containing the distinct points P and Q ?

DS16291.01

(1) will only give us one type of graph, a quadrilateral connected by the points (0,1), (0,-1), (1,0) and (-1,0)

(2) is a little more complex. On one hand we get the same quadrilateral as in (1). But on the other we also get one upward sloping line that connects the dots (-0,5,-0,5) and (0,5, 0,5), and one downward sloping line that connects the dots (-0,5, 1,5) and (0,5,-1,5).

Edit: Actually, Im not sure whether (2) gives us any extra lines at all. They must in any case be broken for values less than 1. Am I correct?

Edit 2: I get the following graphs. It seems like (2) should be sufficient? What is not shown on my graphs?

(1): |x| + |y| = 1

(2): |x + y| = 1

Edit 3:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Look at the second diagram. P and Q could lie on the same line or on the two different lines. We need the slope of the line that joins P and Q. If the points lie on different lines, the slope of the line joining them could take any value.

Of course! Now I get it. We only know that both P and Q lie on the graph, but we dont know on which of the lines.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
hey can any one help me out with statement two?

I calculated Ix+yI =1; as

case a : x+y =1, therefore, y= -x+1 slope here is -1

case b x+y = -1, therefore, y= -x -1 slope here is -1.

Where I am wrong in my reasoning?

if there is any fundamental concept I missed please advise on same. I will appreciate links to concept or anything this may help me understand.

Best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [1]
Given Kudos: 238
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Karmesh wrote:
romen2017 wrote:
Can it be B?

VeritasKarishma Bunuel

I did exactly what Romen has done here.
What are we both missing?

Thanks for your time :)

Just that in the 2nd graph, P can be on one line and Q can be on another line.
Hence can have a diff slope than the graph's slope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

Target question: What is the slope of the line containing the distinct points P and Q ?

Statement 1: Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x| + |y| = 1
Since most people aren't familiar with the graph of |x| + |y| = 1, it makes sense to test some values
There are infinitely many values of x and y that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Both P and Q lie on the graph of |x + y| = 1
Before we do anything else, let's first check to see whether we can re-test the same values we used to show that statement 1 is not sufficient.
Yes, it turns out that we CAN re-use those same values to get:
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Since we were able to use the same counter-examples to show that each statement ALONE is not sufficient, the same counter-examples will satisfy the two statements COMBINED.
In other words,
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent

Hi, Brent, thank you for the precise explanation.

I have a question,
I think I’ve seen somewhere that when we see an equation such as this, \(|x|+|y|=1\), we can simply calculate in this way: \(x+y=1\), because anyway those are positives.
So I thought that I can make the equation \(y=-x+1\). Thus the slope is \(-1\).

What is wrong with thinking this way and do you know in what kind of situation we should consider \(|x|+|y|=1\) \(x+y=1\)?

Thank you in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
I followed an algebraic/inequality based approach to get my answer. Can anyone know if I am right?

1) and 2) alone are insufficient due to reasons others have stated.

When we take 1 & 2 together, we get:

|x| + |y| = 1 = |x+y|

i.e |x| + |y| = |x+y|

According to inequality rules, |x+y| is always <= |x| + |y|.

BUT |x| + |y| = |x+y| if one of the below two criteria are met:

a) either x or y is zero, or both are zero (coming back to the question - if this is the case, slope is zero)
OR
b) both x and y have the same sign (in this case, a slope can be determined. Say if x=5 and y=7, or x=-5 and y=-7)

Since we have conflicting answers, the solution is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS16291.01

Hi

I got E as the answer, however, just wanted to check if the method used is correct.

PFA, my working of the two statements.

St 1 - 4 lines are possible, 2 different slopes, P and Q can be anywhere - Hence Not Sufficient
St 2 - 2 lines are possible, 2 different slopes, P and q can be anywhere - Hence Not Sufficient

Together, we get the St 2 lines as common, which are known to be insufficient.

Hence answer is 'E'.
Attachments

Doubt.jpg
Doubt.jpg [ 79.79 KiB | Viewed 9674 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
dushyantkanal wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

DS16291.01

Hi

I got E as the answer, however, just wanted to check if the method used is correct.

PFA, my working of the two statements.

St 1 - 4 lines are possible, 2 different slopes, P and Q can be anywhere - Hence Not Sufficient
St 2 - 2 lines are possible, 2 different slopes, P and q can be anywhere - Hence Not Sufficient

Together, we get the St 2 lines as common, which are known to be insufficient.

Hence answer is 'E'.

I did the same thing and in statement 2) we get two equations, namely
y = -x + 1
y = -x -1

Q asks the slope of the line which contains PQ.
How did you arrive to the conclusion that statement 2) has multiple slopes as both equations show slope to be -1 although the y-intercepts are different (1 and -1) ?
Also to me it seems that both the lines you drew for statement 2) are parallel lines and parallel lines have same slopes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
SaquibGMATWhiz How is B not sufficient?

Through B we get 2 equations with x+y=1 and x+y=-1, meaning the slope is always -1.

Regards

Gagan
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts