Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 00:46 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 00:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pras19
Hi,

Can you Please evaluate my profile. I am targeting GMAT around June 2018

Me:
- 31 yr old Indian Male
- Did my schooling from CBSE board- ~12 Years, Grades : 73.8% Xth, 62.2% XIIth
- Engineering from Indore Institute of Science and Technology (RGTU Bhopal) with 73.75 %

Work Experience:
- Will complete 7 years in march 2018 in the IT sector firms. (Currently working as a Sr Software Engineer, Role BA/QA Role)
- One year Client Side Experience (Currently working in Johannesburg, South Africa at Client Location)
- After Engg, for 1.5 years I have an experience as Lecturer and also as Business Development for one of the Institutions.

I am not sure what GMAT score will I need and with my current profile, And will I be able to target ISB after a good GMAT score considering my academics, work experience and also taking into account the huge pool of applicants from, which is as (Indian IT Male). So can you please let me know in which areas I can improve so that I can make my application look good and substantial? and considering all the above aspects of my profile will I be able to target ISB (Esp in terms of age factor, I have heard ISB is reluctant in taking candidates above 30 years of age).

Any kind of inputs will be appreciated.

Also which colleges I should can target in India or abroad.

Looking forward to your response.
Thanks
Prashant Gupta

Hi Prashant,

ISB does accept applicants with more work experience. All students with 8+ years' work experience form part of the Senior executive Club that caters to their need while at ISB.

So you still have a chance at ISB, however, given the intense competition for any age group, you will have to establish yourself as a worthy candidate. Do remember that your work experience is the most important factor for any business school- you are after all applying for a business education. Your write-up, however, has the least focus on your work experience. most crucial questions are- how have you grown professionally? What are your work-related achievements and overall impact? What are your leadership experiences? What will you contribute to ISB?

Regarding the GMAT- aim for a 700+ score- the higher the better.

I am unable to suggest areas where you can improve your profile without understanding your experience in more depth- the description above is not sufficient. For that, you can reach out to us for a profile evaluation.
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tush1992
Please review my profile for the ISB 2020 batch admissions:

X- 86%
XII- 77%
B.Tech (Civil)- 7.63 CGPA from a top 5 National Institute of Technology

Workex- 31 months till date (Will be around 40 months when I am planning to apply) in a 'Special Purpose Vehicle' of the Government of India and State Government. I have worked in the Tendering Section of a couple of massive public transportation projects worth US$ 3 Billion (INR 20,000 Cr.) in total. I had huge exposure while working here such as interacting with railway board members, managing supreme court cases, preparing monthly fund disbursement plans & timelines for funds to be received from international funding agencies such as World Bank, EIB, etc. and working in independent capacity directly under the MD for about 6 months. I have had consultants, much senior and experienced to me being instructed by me during these last 6 months. I also got a couple of back to back promotions in the organization and working at managerial position right now.

Extra Curriculars-
Wrote fictional stories on a famous website. One of these stories was within the top 3 of the genre for a long time.
Played guitar in a couple of events.
Participated in street play event in college and won second prize.
Organised a business event in college.
Almost nil during job.

Co curriculars-
Nothing too stellar during college, just won a couple of district level math and science competitions/scholarships during my school days.

I am aiming for my MBA in Strategy and Leadership from ISB as well as industry specialization in Infrastructure. Although my work-ex provided me extraordinary learning opportunities and exposure, I feel that I am achieving stagnation, lower growth (having been working in a government organization) and lack of challenging assignments in my current domain of work. I want to carry my experience of working in massive infrastructure projects and apply them to grow in business and strategy consulting after MBA. I am hoping that an year at ISB would enable me to bridge the gap between what I know and how to apply them in consulting profiles.

I am planning to appear for GMAT this summer and aiming for a score of around 750. Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know of my realistic chances to get a call from ISB. Based on this evaluation, I will have to decide whether I should go for a 2 year MBA from an average college this year or aim for ISB.

That's great work experience and its differentiated from most other applicants'. India's got a great future for large infra projects, so I see real value in your experience for an MBA classroom. Working in the Government sector makes this experience all the more valuable.
Go ahead and take your GMAT and score that ~750.

While you should definitely apply to ISB, you could also look at some two year options- both of these are not mutually exclusive, so you could apply to both one year and two year MBAs. YOur decision of joining should be based on what the b-school can offer you in terms of job opportunities and overall academic and campus experience.

You still have some time to pick up a couple of activities for your extracurriculars. Although they are not a make or break factor at ISB, yet, its good to present a more well-rounded profile.
Send PM
Expert Reply
suraj1705
Class X 6.8/10
XII 56%
Science stream
Graduation - BBA from Calcutta University
58% among top 10% of the class
GMAT 720

Work Experience
Worked 1.5 years in a leading IT company in Customer Services
As a Trainer and Customer service manager

Quote:
Left the job to educate 43 under privileged children for a year. (Break for a year).
Trained 800 freshers to promote employment in northeast states. (Project with a leading IT company).

Is this the same as the TFI fellowship or it's in addition?

2 years of Fellowship full time experience with Teach for india
Total Experience of 3. 5 years including TFI fellowship

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Teach for India experience is generally valued by b-schools, so you stand a realistic chance. However much will depend upon the quality of your application, your goals and why MBA. It will be crucial to know what are your work-related achievements and impact.
Send PM
Expert Reply
suraj1705
Class X 6.8/10
XII 56%
Science stream
GMAT 720

Work Experience

Quote:
Left the job to educate 43 under privileged children for a year. (Break for a year).
Trained 800 freshers to promote employment in northeast states. (Project with a leading IT company).

Is this the same as the TFI fellowship or it's in addition?

Quote:

Teach for India experience is generally valued by b-schools, so you stand a realistic chance. However much will depend upon the quality of your application, your goals and why MBA. It will be crucial to know what are your work-related achievements and impact.
Send PM
Expert Reply
ImAnkitKaushik
Hi,

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest what can be improved to be a good candidate for next intake.
Below is a brief summary of my profile:

Name: Ankit Kaushik
Nationality: Indian
WE: 56 months (IT), will complete 5 years this July
GMAT: 710 (Q-50, V-35)

Extra Curricular:
1. Participated in state level cricket and football tournaments
2. Part of sports club in Tech Mahindra (My previous organization)
3. Conducted some organization-level events
4. Frequent traveler (already been to 21 states in India) -- not sure whether this comes under extra curricular

Academic Background:

1. B.Tech(IT)- 69.96%
2. XII- 61.6%
3. X- 90.6%

Awards & Achievements:

1. Constantly awarded top performer award
2. Certified Hadoop developer
3. Winner of several intra-organization sports events

Thanks,
Ankit Kaushik

Hi Ankit,
Please mention details about your work experience. What do you do at work? What are your achievements? your career progressions? the teams that you lead and your overall impact? why do you want to do an MBA?
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBADecoder
ImAnkitKaushik
Hi,

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest what can be improved to be a good candidate for next intake.
Below is a brief summary of my profile:

Name: Ankit Kaushik
Nationality: Indian
WE: 56 months (IT), will complete 5 years this July
GMAT: 710 (Q-50, V-35)

Extra Curricular:
1. Participated in state level cricket and football tournaments
2. Part of sports club in Tech Mahindra (My previous organization)
3. Conducted some organization-level events
4. Frequent traveler (already been to 21 states in India) -- not sure whether this comes under extra curricular

Academic Background:

1. B.Tech(IT)- 69.96%
2. XII- 61.6%
3. X- 90.6%

Awards & Achievements:

1. Constantly awarded top performer award
2. Certified Hadoop developer
3. Winner of several intra-organization sports events

Thanks,
Ankit Kaushik

Hi Ankit,
Please mention details about your work experience. What do you do at work? What are your achievements? your career progressions? the teams that you lead and your overall impact? why do you want to do an MBA?

Hi,

I am working as an ETL developer at Accenture in banking domain project. I have experience of leading a team of 11 members.
Currently my role is Application Development Senior Analyst. I have to review requirements, connect with clients and provide solutions by creating/enhancing codes. I have to deal with lots of consultants as part of my work. And, I believe that I can be a good consultant as well. So, I have an inclination towards Consultancy and that is the reason behind my will to go for MBA.
I was also a part of interview committee, which will hire people for the project. I have been a top performer throughout my professional career. I have already listed some of the achievements above.

Thanks for the time for reviewing my profile.
Much appreciated,
Ankit Kaushik
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

It would be great if someone could suggest the score I should aim for in GMAT?

Academics:
B.Tech with GPA of 8/10
10th :88.1 %
12th: 93.9%

I have been working in IT for 4 and a half years.

What are the chances of me getting through ISB ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vivek
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
vivek341
Hi,

It would be great if someone could suggest the score I should aim for in GMAT?

Academics:
B.Tech with GPA of 8/10
10th :88.1 %
12th: 93.9%

I have been working in IT for 4 and a half years.

What are the chances of me getting through ISB ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vivek

Hi vivek341,

Thanks for your query.

Your academic scores are definitely in good shape and while we don't have detailed information on your professional achievements, leadership experience etc. we would definitely recommend that you aim for a score around 720. IT Males make a large percentage of the applicant pool at ISB and a higher GMAT score is definitely expected of you.
Having said the above, the GMAT is only one factor in the entire process (a very important one definitely). You also need to focus on preparing a set of well-rounded essays, which appropriately represent you calibre and showcase a very logical set of career goals. This too will have an impact on your chances.

We would like to take this opportunity to offer you a detailed profile evaluation for free. Please do reach out to us in case you feel the need for the same.

Hope this helps.

All the best! :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
suraj1705
Class X 6.8/10
XII 56%
Science stream
GMAT 720

Work Experience

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi suraj1705,

Thanks for writing.

Your leadership experience, coupled with the TFI Fellowship will definitely hold a lot of value. The GMAT score, too, is in good shape :) That said, we strongly recommend that you focus on creating essays that not only represent your potential to the fullest but also portray a set of career goals which are in strong with your existing story.

Should you feel the need to discuss this further, please do reach out to us.

Good Luck! :)
Given Kudos: 203
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 1
Send PM
ABatExpertsGlobal
Ayan4
Hi,

Will be highly obliged if someone can evaluate my profile for ISB
GMAT 710(Q49,V37,IR6,AWA4) 1st attempt

Academics:
B.Tech GPA of 8.42/10
10th : 82.4 % (State board)
12th: 80.75% (State board)

I am 28 years male. Have 6.5 years of working experience in a PSU under the dept. of atomic energy.
Have worked in different areas such as design, commissioning and maintenance of nuclear power plants
Hobbies: Playing Guitar, Cooking, Painting

What are the chances of getting through ISB for Round 1 admission this year?
Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Ayan

Hi Ayan4

Thanks for sharing your details.

While the extent of your professional experience and GPA look in good shape, much will depend on your work-place achievements, leadership experience, and team skills and since you have not shared the same in detail, it will be a bit difficult for us to comment on the same. Certainly, the GMAT score is also alright. However, considering you were able to score this in only one attempt, we suggest you retake the test once more (you will definitely be able to boost this :)). Further, considering there is still some time at hand, we suggest that you add some additional talking points to your profile in terms of CSR experience/Toastmaster etc. :)

In short, you do have a good chance at cracking ISB, already but if you keep the above points in mind, you will immensely boost your chances :)

In case you need any other help, please reach out to us.

All the best!

Hi,
Thanks for evaluating my profile. I am planning to do some certification course on analytics.Could you suggest some good courses that may be used as additional talking points in my profile.
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi All,

It would be great if someone could evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest areas for improvement.
Thanks in advance.

GMAT Score: 680 (Q51 V30)

Academics:
10th - 86%(CBSE)
12th - 89%(CBSE)
Graduated from BITS-Pilani (B.E. Civil) - 7.65/10

I am 26 years old male and will complete 4 years of work ex by August of 2018 (currently 3.5 years of work ex). I started my career in the field of Analytics Consulting with Mu Sigma then moved into Supply Chain Analytics Consulting with Accenture. I have worked with Accenture for 2.5 years and was recently promoted.
I help world's leading organizations transform their supply chain by solving business problems using business knowledge, advanced analytics and machine learning.
Right now I am leading a project for one of the world's biggest technology enterprise.

I am planning to give GMAT another shot in a couple of months, I should be able to get my score above 700.

Awards and Recognition-
1. Won star performer in 12th for being in top 10 of the 12th standard
2. Won SPOT award at Accenture for individual contribution in my projects
Send PM
Expert Reply
qwertybd
Hi All,

It would be great if someone could evaluate my profile for ISB and suggest areas for improvement.
Thanks in advance.

GMAT Score: 680 (Q51 V30)

Academics:
10th - 86%(CBSE)
12th - 89%(CBSE)
Graduated from BITS-Pilani (B.E. Civil) - 7.65/10

I am 26 years old male and will complete 4 years of work ex by August of 2018 (currently 3.5 years of work ex). I started my career in the field of Analytics Consulting with Mu Sigma then moved into Supply Chain Analytics Consulting with Accenture. I have worked with Accenture for 2.5 years and was recently promoted.
I help world's leading organizations transform their supply chain by solving business problems using business knowledge, advanced analytics and machine learning.
Right now I am leading a project for one of the world's biggest technology enterprise.

I am planning to give GMAT another shot in a couple of months, I should be able to get my score above 700.

Awards and Recognition-
1. Won star performer in 12th for being in top 10 of the 12th standard
2. Won SPOT award at Accenture for individual contribution in my projects

Hi qwertybd,

Hope you're well :)

A lot certainly works for you ~ With BITS Pilani, you have a good pedigree, you have substantial work experience with good leadership experience and Awards in your kitty, plus you also have a number of talking points in terms of the work you have done at each organization. Each of these factors will definitely help strengthen your application. Of course, your career goals and essay will have a big role to play as well and we suggest you put good thought into the same.

Having said the above, the GMAT score is certainly the first element that needs strengthening and it is good that you have already identified this. Yes, a score upwards of 700 is definitely needed. To add to this, you haven't included anything about your extra-curricular activities as such. With the ISB R1 applications still a good 7-8 months away, we suggest you get involved with clubs such as Toastmasters, get some social sector experience (instead of mere volunteering, see if you can play a leadership role) etc. Basically, the idea is to include more elements that showcase you as a well-rounded individual.

Should you need any further assistance, please do reach out.

All the best! :)
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hello,
Please evaluate my profile for ISB application. I am yet to give GMAT. I plan to attempt it by April.
Saksham Verma
10th- 9.6 CGPA (CBSE) 2010
12th- 94.2% (Commerce) 2012
B. com (hons)- 63.82% (12-15)
CA- 58% (November 2016 cleared)
Articleship (2 years)- Deloitte Haskins & Sells- Audit department; Part of statutory audit of listed companies like DCM Shriram, ITC, Simbhaoli Sugars, MetLife Global Support etc.
Industrial Training- Mutual fund Reporting department; Preparing mutual fund financial statements for MFs listed on NYSE.
Post Qualification work experience- 1 year in a retail start up named Green Somethings as Finance and commercial Manager responsible for financial statements and commercial aspect of the business.
Please help me plan for ISB for R1 of 2019 batch.
thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakshamv0209
Hello,
Please evaluate my profile for ISB application. I am yet to give GMAT. I plan to attempt it by April.
Saksham Verma
10th- 9.6 CGPA (CBSE) 2010
12th- 94.2% (Commerce) 2012
B. com (hons)- 63.82% (12-15)
CA- 58% (November 2016 cleared)
Articleship (2 years)- Deloitte Haskins & Sells- Audit department; Part of statutory audit of listed companies like DCM Shriram, ITC, Simbhaoli Sugars, MetLife Global Support etc.
Industrial Training- Mutual fund Reporting department; Preparing mutual fund financial statements for MFs listed on NYSE.
Post Qualification work experience- 1 year in a retail start up named Green Somethings as Finance and commercial Manager responsible for financial statements and commercial aspect of the business.
Please help me plan for ISB for R1 of 2019 batch.
thanks

Hi Saksham,

How much is your total full-time work experience? If I understood correctly, its one year.

ISB gets a fair share of CAs applicants. Given this fact, I'd like to understand your work experience in more detail. You will be in direct competition with the other CAs, a lot of who have 3+ years work experience when they apply. How does your work experience compare to theirs, and what unique experiences will you ring which they lack?
think its fair to evaluate whether you should apply this year or wait another year, while you can build up your profile to make it more competitive.

Hope that makes sense to you.
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GPA: 1.91
Send PM
Hello team! Please help me evaluate my profile for ISB R1 - 2019-20.

Male - 24 year old

Class 10 - 91.07%
Class 12- 87.5%
B. Com - CGPA 5.18
M.Com part 1 - 68%
CIMA - unable to clear in 2 attempts. Do not plan to pursue it further for now!

CA - First attempt (all levels)

Articleship at PwC statutory audit department for 3 years (client appreciation and spot award recd.)

Post qualification - Work exp 2.5 years (till date. Will be 3 in sep 18) in Transaction Advisory Services at PwC and currently managing financial due diligence engagements almost independently and determining various red flags for investors, determining purchase considerations, analysing key deal issues, etc.

Received many rewards and recognition for my contribution to the assignments.

Relatively fast paced promotion (1 and half year) to Asst. Manager

Extra currics - nothing to be proud of except for few certificates in playing chess at inter school / college level

Been a part of an NGO mentoring underprivileged kids for about 8 months now.

GMAT - yet to appear! (Expecting to touch 720 atleast)

Also request you to help me prepare my next steps!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,
Congrats on the promotion, and good luck on the GMAT! Any plans for when you'll take it? Are you aiming to APPLY 2019 or matriculate then? I'd suggest more work experience and additional leadership ideally, so perhaps applying 2019 would be a better plan? Keep us posted!! And chime in when you have the GMAT perhaps?

Rahill446

Male - 24 year old

Class 10 - 91.07%
Class 12- 87.5%
B. Com - CGPA 5.18
M.Com part 1 - 68%

Articleship at PwC statutory audit department for 3 years (client appreciation and spot award recd.)

Post qualification - Work exp 2.5 years (till date. Will be 3 in sep 18) in Transaction Advisory Services at PwC and currently managing financial due diligence engagements almost independently and determining various red flags for investors, determining purchase considerations, analysing key deal issues, etc.

Extra currics - nothing to be proud of except for few certificates in playing chess at inter school / college level

Send PM
Expert Reply
Rahill446

Male - 24 year old

Class 10 - 91.07%
Class 12- 87.5%
B. Com - CGPA 5.18
M.Com part 1 - 68%

Hi Rahill446,

Thanks for your query.

At this point, we strongly recommend that you focus on your GMAT and get the score you are targetting. Of course, the higher, the better :) Besides this, keep performing in your new role and garner as many talking points as possible. Once you are done with your GMAT, you must focus on preparing a set of stellar essays :)

Feel free to reach out to us in case you require any assistance.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  74   75   76   77   78  ...  307