Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Modifiersx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [2]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

I am wondering for answer E, is the phrase "Despite being called a sea," every a correct?
From my understanding Despite must be followed by a noun.
If it is a valid phrase then is "being" a gerund and "called" is acting as a past particle?
Can a gerund be followed by a past or present participle?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest [#permalink]
daagh GMATNinja egmat GMATNinjaTwo

Can you give some clarity on the usage of 'which/that'. Ideally 'which/that' should modify the noun just preceding them, but I have read that they can jump a few words to modify a noun that is a bit further away.

Do we go by meaning and logic to ensure non-ambiguity, or is there a grammar rule that we can follow?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Argp wrote:
daagh GMATNinja egmat GMATNinjaTwo

Can you give some clarity on the usage of 'which/that'. Ideally 'which/that' should modify the noun just preceding them, but I have read that they can jump a few words to modify a noun that is a bit further away.

Do we go by meaning and logic to ensure non-ambiguity, or is there a grammar rule that we can follow?

Check out this article, particularly "usage #4: "that" as a modifier (the “touch rule" and its exceptions)". That should help you a bit!

shen0150 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am wondering for answer E, is the phrase "Despite being called a sea," every a correct?
From my understanding Despite must be followed by a noun.
If it is a valid phrase then is "being" a gerund and "called" is acting as a past particle?
Can a gerund be followed by a past or present participle?

Sure, "being" can function as a noun (a gerund, if you like the jargon). And "called" is really just an -ed modifier here, so "being called" has the same structure as "being lazy" in the following example (borrowed from this article: “Being” is not the enemy):

"Charles’s favorite activities include eating and being lazy."

In both cases, we have "being + modifier", where "being" functions as a noun. There is nothing inherently wrong with that or with putting something like that after "despite".

Notice also, that (C) and (E), beyond the use of "despite being," have different meanings.

Take another look at (C):

Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth

The opening modifier, "called a sea" is describing the Caspian. Makes sense. Moreover, "though" is telling us that we're about to get some kind of logical contrast. And we do. Even though the Caspian is called a sea, it's a lake. Perfectly logical contrast - the Caspian is called one thing, but it's actually something else.

Now look at (E):

"Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian..."

Now the phrase "despite being called a sea" is describing the "largest lake on Earth." This isn't wrong, necessarily, but it's less clear, as we haven't yet identified the largest lake on Earth.

Worse, "despite" is again setting up the expectation of a logical contrast. But this isn't what we get. In essence, this version says that although the largest lake is called a sea, it's actually the Caspian. This makes no sense. The surprise isn't that the lake has the name "Caspian," it's that even though we call it a sea, it's a lake. So even if you were unsure about the usage of "despite being" you can eliminate (E) on the basis of logic.

I hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [1]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ashdah wrote:
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

ashdah wrote:
(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers

"which" is referring to Earth in this answer choice, which is illogical.

ashdah wrote:
(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers

"which" is referring to Earth in this answer choice, which is illogical.

Adverb "actually" is placed incorrectly. It should be placed to demonstrate that although Caspian is called a sea, Caspian is actually a lake.

ashdah wrote:
(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering

Correct. The modifiers are logical. The adverb "actually" is placed correctly, demonstrating the contrast that although Caspian is called a sea, it is actually a lake. We only have one independent clause, so there is no comma splice error.

ashdah wrote:
(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers

The Official Explanation doesn't mention this, but this answer choice is a comma splice. We have two independent clauses joined by a comma.

I'm not sure the pronoun "it" is used effectively here either. Is "it" referring to 'sea,' 'lake' or 'Caspian'?

ashdah wrote:
(E) Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

Modifier error. The opening clause needs to modify Caspian, not "the largest lake."

The final clause "covering more than four time the surface area..." should be modifying "largest lake," not Caspian.

Modifier errors.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers X

What is “it” referring to? Unclear.

(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers X

“it” is referring to what? Also, the placement of ‘actually’ is wrong…should follow ‘is’. The third error is ‘which’ seems to be modifying Earth OR “actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth”…that’s wrong.

(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering CORRECT

(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers X

“but it” is wrong

(E) Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering X

“being” is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
Why are options D and E incorrect? I can't get a solid reason to eliminate them
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619227 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jizzy wrote:

Many posts on pervious two pages answer your query. Have you read the thread? For example, this post or this post or this post ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Jizzy wrote:

Many posts on pervious two pages answer your query. Have you read the thread?

I'm new to gmatclub, wasn't aware that the thread had a 2nd page. I'll go through the posts. Thanks Bunuel.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
KarishmaB
GMATNinja

(A) It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
(B) Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers

Would like to understand why verb-ing "covering" is preferred over "which". I think "which" can refer to lake, so there are no errors meaning-wise. I wouldn't want to reject basis pronoun ambiguity. Why A and B are logically incorrect?

(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers - Can you help me understand sentence structure of D?
Though called a sea (subordinate clause) + but + it is largest lake (clause) > Can I consider it a clause?

Thank you for your help :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
KarishmaB
GMATNinja

Would like to understand why verb-ing "covering" is preferred over "which". I think "which" can refer to lake, so there are no errors meaning-wise. I wouldn't want to reject basis pronoun ambiguity. Why A and B are logically incorrect?

(D) Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers - Can you help me understand sentence structure of D?
Though called a sea (subordinate clause) + but + it is largest lake (clause) > Can I consider it a clause?

Thank you for your help :)

In options (A) and (B), 'which' modifies 'Caspian' but is far away from it. It is next to 'Earth,' another noun it can modify grammatically (not logically though).
comma + verb-ing modifies the subject of the previous clause. So in options (C) and (E), 'covering' modifies the subject of the previous clause, 'Caspian.' That is better.

Option (D) uses two connectors 'though' and 'but' needlessly. We need only one to show contrast.
Also, it joins two independent clauses with a comma.

IC1 - Though called a sea, it actually is the largest lake on Earth ('Though called a sea' is a phrase. It has no verb. In passive, a verb needs helping verb too e.g. It is called a sea - passive)

IC2 - the landlocked Caspian covers more than ...

Option (E) is incorrect too.
'Despite being called a sea' should modify the Caspian, not the largest lake on Earth. It makes sense to say that 'Caspian is actually the largest lake,' not 'the largest lake is actually Caspian'

Hence (C) works.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: LBS '26 (II)
Send PM
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest [#permalink]
KarishmaB GMATNinja AjiteshArun
In option "C", having the main subject and verb between two commas doesn't make it non-essential? Is this allowed? What am i missing?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ujaliverma wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja AjiteshArun
In option "C", having the main subject and verb between two commas doesn't make it non-essential? Is this allowed? What am i missing?

(C) Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

For something to be a non-essential modifier, it needs to be a modifier first. You are talking about the main clause here, which is not a modifier.
Also, the main clause is not separated from the 'rest of the sentence' using comma. The main clause is the main sentence. The other parts are separated using commas.

Though called a sea - a non finite clause using conjunction 'though'
It starts the sentence and is separated from the main clause with a comma.

the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth - the main clause

covering more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior - comma + verb-ing modifier at the end of the sentence. It modifies Caspian.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: LBS '26 (II)
Send PM
KarishmaB many thanks! This definitely helps.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Hi,

Confusion —> Why should which refer to The Caspian. The largest lake on earth covers more than……why is this statement incorrect?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Noida wrote:
Hi,

Confusion —> Why should which refer to The Caspian. The largest lake on earth covers more than……why is this statement incorrect?

Yeah, the "which" in (A) isn't flat-out wrong. It's just that the construction in (C) is more clear and less open to interpretation.

In (A), the reader must first decide that the "which" goes with "largest lake" and not with "Earth". That doesn't make the "which" wrong, but why make the reader choose, when (C) offers a less ambiguous option?

If we skip over "Earth" and decide that the "which" phrase modifies the "largest lake," the reader still has another decision to make: Is the Caspian the largest lake on Earth? Or is it the largest OF the lakes that cover more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size? In other words, is it a restrictive or nonrestrictive modifier? Based on the logic and the structure, we can figure that out pretty quickly -- but again, the "-ing" modifier in (C) is clearer.

Lastly, starting the sentence with "though" in (C) immediately gives the reader the necessary context and makes it easy to figure out the intended meaning: "even though it's called a sea, the Caspian is actually the largest lake." (A) uses a "but" instead, and basically conveys the same meaning -- but setting up the contrast right away with "though" just makes (C) a bit simpler and easier to follow.

(A) isn't terrible and doesn't violate any clear-cut rules, but (C) is definitely a better option.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts