It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 12:35
victory47 wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:
I received a PM on this one, so I am replying (though it is a good one and I would have replied anyways had I seen it first :)).

In the original sentence, 'Earth' should not be modified by a phrase that is clearly intended to modify the Caspian Sea (I mean lake :)). Thus, we can get rid of (A) and (B). Get rid of 'E' because of the wordy 'being.'

Now, I can tackle the original question addressed in the PM: the difference between (C) and (D).

(C) is awkward because of the 'but it.' This awkwardness can also be attributed to the fact that we are separating 'though called a sea' and the Caspian by an intervening phrase that is itself awkward.

(D) on the other is succinct. What is commonly called a sea? The Caspian, which follows, 'though called a sea.' We no longer have the unnecessary 'it'. Typically, when an answer choice adds an 'it' this should clue you in that the answer choice is becoming less succinct, and thus likely to be favored on the GMAT.

Hope that helps :).

whay A and B are wrong?

"which relative clause " can modify slightly far noun. e gmat write an article on this point. so, A and B are correct

for the article

the use of 'which clause" is legitimate but is NOT PREFERED.

is that right? pls

Many people had pointed out that the usage of which is wrong in option A & B, however, they all didn't have a convincing reason for it.

After doing several researches online, the word "which" in option A & B do not necessary refer to Earth, they can refer to lake as well which would have been correct.

(here I'm quoting Ron from Manhattan Gmat the usage of "which": which can modify 1.the noun that precedes the comma and 2. the noun+prepositional phrase immediately precedes the comma. Therefore in the case "...largest lake on earth, which..." on earth is a prep phrase and lake is a noun, "which" can modify either earth or lake+on earth.)

Noted that the explanation OG gives for A is that "the usage of which is unclear". What that means is that the usage of which CAN BE CORRECT, however, since which can refer to earth as well as lake, we don't know exactly what which refers to.

This is the reason why the word "which" is wrong in option A & B. IT IS NOT JUST BECAUSE THAT "which refers to earth thus its wrong".

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [1], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 22:16
This post received
KUDOS
brightandamen wrote:
Can somebody explain why we use "covering" instead of "covers"?

Hi brightandamen, are you referring to option C?

In option C, if covers had been used, at the very least there should have been an and before covers. So, the structure of C in that case would have been:

the landlocked Caspian is.... and covers...

Parallelism is between two verbs: is and covers. While this would have been a grammatically correct sentence, it would have suggested that landlocked Caspian has two distinct properties (1. landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth. 2. landlocked Caspian covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size).

However, the ideal meaning is represented by option C. The fact that landlocked Caspian covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, is actually a description/manifestation of the fact that the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth.

In such cases, present participles (covering....) are an ideal usage.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Present participles, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [1], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Erasmus '18
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 23:26
Hi Ashish, thank you for your detailed explanations. Kudos to you!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 09:18
ashdah wrote:
It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

A. It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
B. Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers
C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
D. Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers
E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

Please explain C & D along with the preference with reasons thanks in advance

A "Which" modifies either "Earth" or "lake," but in this case it should modify "Caspian."
B "Which" modifies either "Earth" or "lake," but in this case it should modify "Caspian."
C Correct.
D An independent clause cannot be the opening modifier of a sentence. A correct version would read, "Though called a sea but actually the largest lake on Earth..."
E "The largest lake" is not "being called a sea"; the "Caspian" is.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 11:20
ChrisLele wrote:
I received a PM on this one, so I am replying (though it is a good one and I would have replied anyways had I seen it first :)).

In the original sentence, 'Earth' should not be modified by a phrase that is clearly intended to modify the Caspian Sea (I mean lake :)). Thus, we can get rid of (A) and (B). Get rid of 'E' because of the wordy 'being.'

Now, I can tackle the original question addressed in the PM: the difference between (C) and (D).

(C) is awkward because of the 'but it.' This awkwardness can also be attributed to the fact that we are separating 'though called a sea' and the Caspian by an intervening phrase that is itself awkward.

(D) on the other is succinct. What is commonly called a sea? The Caspian, which follows, 'though called a sea.' We no longer have the unnecessary 'it'. Typically, when an answer choice adds an 'it' this should clue you in that the answer choice is becoming less succinct, and thus likely to be favored on the GMAT.

Hope that helps :).

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers more than four times the surface area of its closest rival in size, North America's Lake Superior.

A. It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers
B. Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers
C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering
D. Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers
E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering

In options A and B, doesn't 'which' correctly modify 'the largest lake' since 'on Earth' is a vital noun modifier?

"You can help me achieve my goal by sharing your knowledge"

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 110

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 03:51

A. It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, which covers - "which" incorrectly refers to "Earth"
B. Although it is called a sea, actually the landlocked Caspian is the largest lake on Earth, which covers - "which" incorrectly refers to "Earth" + sounds a mess
C. Though called a sea, the landlocked Caspian is actually the largest lake on Earth, covering - CORRECT, importantly "covering" is verb+ing that modifies the full clause preceding it + "landlocked caspian" placed correct after "called a sea"
D. Though called a sea but it actually is the largest lake on Earth, the landlocked Caspian covers - "though" and "but" cannot be used together as they mean the same & therefore redundancy + "it" is referring to sea based on where it is placed, however "it" should refer to "the landlocked Caspian" + "landlocked caspian" should be placed right after "called a sea" as in Option C + 2 independent clauses separated by a comma is of course incorrect (lot going wrong here but a good learning)
E. Despite being called a sea, the largest lake on Earth is actually the landlocked Caspian, covering - "landlocked caspian" should be after "called a sea" + sounds very awkward & "being" almost always is in the wrong sentence

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Economics, Marketing
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 14:53
Wouldn't it be possible for "Covering" to be incorrectly modifying earth as well?

tks!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 24

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 08:19
zzarur wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible for "Covering" to be incorrectly modifying earth as well?

tks!

Hello zzarur - "Covering" here cannot refer to "Earth" and the reason is the previous clause has a primary noun as "Caspian" also most importantly this clause is separated by a "Comma". Hence, the word "covering" can only modify "Caspian" here.

Hope this is clear

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 186

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 56

GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 10:09
Hello friends of GMAT CLUB,
I can't understand why C is correct: I know that the ",+ verb-ing" clause is used to express "result" or "how the thing in the preceding clause was done" and it's not the case... can you please help me?

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 56

Re: It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 10:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

It is called a sea, but the landlocked Caspian is actually

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap