It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 22:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 534
Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 02:42
@naruphanp

this is how you can understand the video/movie piracy.
suppose there are shops selling video CDs for movies etc... many people will buy them and watch the movie, but when people will start buying the CDs and sharing it with friends then the actual purchase will decline, where 10000 CDs used to sell , now only 4000 is purchased by people and these 4000 people are sharing the movie CDs with rest of the 6000 people or more.(Suppose a gang of friends with 10 guys, 1 brought the CD and after watching he shared it with other friends, or uploaded on some online channels, copied on other friends computers etc..)
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2012
Posts: 20
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
GPA: 2.64
WE: Research (Retail Banking)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 02:49
@thevenus

thanks for the explanation. however, for choice A., couldn't it be possible for Venturama to sell 4000 and rent out an additional 6000? This would also make up for the 10,000 decline since Venturama both sells and rents videos.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2012
Posts: 129
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 07:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
naruphanp wrote:
@thevenus

thanks for the explanation. however, for choice A., couldn't it be possible for Venturama to sell 4000 and rent out an additional 6000? This would also make up for the 10,000 decline since Venturama both sells and rents videos.


Hey naruphanp,
As far as i understand the question, its about decreasing the amount of rentals in a particular area bcoz of opening of a new shop. Brad argues that the new shop sold only 4000 records, yet the total decrease was 10,000. Now, if we consider A, that new shop sold 4000, and rented out 6000, but this 6000 will add up to the total CDs rented in that year which means only the number of CDs rented reduced only by 4000. However, in option E, if 4000 people who had bought the CD, rent it to their friends, that wont be added to business done by the CD renters and eventually decrease the total amount of CDs rented by the shopkeepers, which can be the only possible explanation for the given question.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 342
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 11:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
We want to weaken Brads argument. The argument is that there is some other reason for the decline of rentals ,argument states that only 4000 were sold and decline is of 10000. We want to weaken Brads argument which can be done if we show that there is no other reason and infact decline is due to Videorama opening. 4000 sold if shared with 2 or 3 people means 8000 - 12000 number is possible. The crux is to attack the reasoning Brad presents.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2146
Location: New York, NY
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2012, 12:45
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It's really important to understand what DIRECTION you should be taking for this question.

We want to weaken Brad's argument. Brad was arguing against Jennifer --> essentially we are trying to find something that supports Jennifer's case.

Jennifer says: Decline is due to Videorama
Brad says: No, that's not true, something else is responsible

To weaken Brad's claim, we almost have to reaffirm that the decline is due to Videorama. We just need a more clear way to explain it.

Jennifer's claim can still be valid if we fill in some of the holes. Brad pointed out one of the holes, which was that Videorama only sold 4000 videos and there's a gap in order to reach the 10,000 decline in video rentals.

Now what can explain the gap?

(E) does the best job because if for every 1 video sold that cannibalized 2, 3 or more video rentals, than the cannibalization effect could be far in excess of 10,000 video rentals.

(A) also helps explain the gap but it's not strong enough. If Videorama rented out more than it sold, it's possible that it sold 4,000 and it rented 5,000. Together, that's 9,000 and so there's still 1,000 that cannot be explained. On the other hand, it's possible that 4,000 was sold but 6,000 was rented. That would reach the 10,000 and this would weaken Brad's argument. However, since it goes both ways it does not definitively weaken the argument...and would only be a "weak" method of weakening the argument.

(B) in a similar manner is "weak" and also is not relevant because it places the explanation on something other than Videorama, ie the other two stores, when clearly the argument is referring to Videorama.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 20
Location: United States
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2012, 09:02
I got what Chris is trying to mention but doesnt it then supports Brad's statement ?? Brad clearly says that "there must be another explanation" and hence friend lending videos to friends is the "another explanation"....... so E supports Brad's statement...
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1377
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 05:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
thank you expert Christopher Lee for explanation of A

Can I name choice A "RBI" , "relevant but inconclusive". This choice is particularly popular on Assumption question. RBI answer choice offer a very attractive logic but not strong enough to be the correct answer on assumption and strengthen/weaken question.

being ready to see this type of incorrect anwer choice makes us more confident when we see 2 attractive choices. I am looking for 2 attract answer choice in all og questions.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 36
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 23:36
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?


A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. ( it may not be correct as number may be from 4001 onwards ..So We cant say whether it weaken the argument or strengthen the argument)
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville. (Out of Scope)
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.(Out of Scope)( its not inlign with the argument conclusion)
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.(Out of Scope)
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. ( correct . as it cleary present a doubt on the argument )
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 205
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2012, 08:24
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer must be E.

Video rentals in ENTIRE AREA decreased by 10,000. If 4,000 is attributed to purchase instead of rent, there is still a 6,000 gap.

A is absolutely incorrect. It does not matter that Videorama rented out more than it has sold. The rental figures were down across the entire area. Whatever Videorama had rented out were therefore already included in the rental figures. You are still dealing with a 6,000 video gap.

Only explanation is E. People who bought movies, lent them to friends. This impacted overall rental figures. Since Videorama seems to be the only outlet which has had direct impact on bought movies, this would weaken the argument.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 896
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2012, 19:56
shikhar wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?


A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.


I would like to bring the light upon option (A). as most of the members are getting confused.

Agenda is Decline in the number of Video Rentals of a area and new store is also in the area so according to option A Video rama has rented 4001 videos it would increase the Video rentals in the area.Idea behind argument is that how 4000 videos sold contribute to the figure 10000 , which is explained as in (E).
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2455
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2012, 01:11
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shikhar wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?


A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.


Hi,

The discussion so far has been very good.

The only confusion visible is between options A and E.

Let's first follow our standard approach for the answer:

Brad's argument is that opening of Videorama could not be the explanation for decline in rentals since Videorama sold only 4000 videos against a total decline of 10,000 video rentals.

Prethinking Assumption:

Now, if we try to prethink the assumption in Brad's argument, it looks like this: one video sold should lead to a decline of one (nearly) video rental.

Prethinking Weakener:

Now, a weakener is something which weakens the assumption. Thus, a weakener could be like:
Some movies are rented more than once to the same person in a year. (If this is true, then people who buy these videos will not rent. Thus, every purchase would lead to twice or thrice the amount of decline in rentals)

Other weakener could be the one stated in option E. This statement means that every video purchase should lead to multiple times decline in the number of video rentals.

Therefore, E is the correct answer choice.

Now, coming to option A, please note that it is clearly stated the Videorama is located in the area. Thus, any video rentals by Videorama are counted in the figure for the area. Therefore, the number of video rentals by Videorama does not affect Brad's argument.

Hope this helps :)

Critical Reasoning questions are also asked in the new IR section of GMAT. Click on the below image to access a critical reasoning IR question with detailed approach to such questions.

Image

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2012, 07:21
first I chose A ....But I was so wrong, thanks for the wonderful explaination...kudos to all..:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 284
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2012, 11:27
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?


A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. Case 1: No. of Videorama rented out CD can be 4001 (or anything less than 6000. This implies still thier is a Gap of 10000 - 8001 = 1999. Case 2: No. of Videorama rented out CD can be > 6000. Then it satisfies the condition.

E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends. No. of loan at least = 2..4000 * 2= 8000. Therefore , no of people who watched the video = 4000 (owner) + 8000 (borrower) = 12000
_________________

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1377
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2012, 03:14
thank you e gmat expert for detail posting. we wish e gmat post more on this forum and beatthegmat forum. secifically, on cr we like the expert posting.
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 627
Location: India
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:25
shikhar wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993. The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply. Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals. Yet Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad presents to Jennifer's explanation?


A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.


Premise of the argument: "Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994." but "the decline was on the order of 10,000 rentals"
Conclusion of the argument: The decline in rentals was probably not due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama

We need to weaken the above argument. Choice E weakens the premise that since it says that though there is a gap of 6000 videos to be accounted for, the gap which represents videos that were not bought can be explained by the fact that they were borrowed from friends who had bought them. That fills the gap and weakens Brad's premise.

Choice A seems close because if videorama handled say, 5000 rentals then the total number of videos handled by videorama becomes 5000+4000 which is 9000. That seems to only strengthen Jennifers argument that the decrease was probably almost entirely due to videorama. But the decline in rental is after including the rentals handled by videorama. So if as in choice A if videorama handled 5000 rentals, the others should have handled 15,000 rentals less. So it doesn't quite weaken Brad's argument as E does because there would be still the gap of 6000..
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Premium Material
Standardized Approaches

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2013
Posts: 943
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2014, 07:01
calreg11 wrote:
A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold. (there is still an uncertainty here of whether Videorama handled 10k videos. if they rented out 4,001 videos then the totaled handled would still be less than 10k videos.

E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.
This give a good reason of what the cause of the situation is. Many people are giving rental less business.

Side note: how do we know for sure that it is the entire cause of the difference of 6k.


We don't have to calculate if it is 5.89k or 6k. We need to find out given the options, we can say if we can weaken the arguments.
_________________

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 20:14
tech3 wrote:
Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 fewer video rentals in 1994 than in 1993.
The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama, the first
and only video rental outlet in the area that, in addition to renting videos, also sold them cheaply.
Brad: There must be another explanation: as you yourself said, the decline was on the order of 10,000
rentals. Yet Videorama sold only 4,000 videos in 1994.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Brad
presents to Jennifer's explanation?
A. In 1994 Videorama rented out more videos than it sold.
B. In 1994 two new outlets that rent but that do not sell videos opened in Centerville.
C. Most of the video rental outlets in Centerville rent videos at a discount on certain nights of the week.
D. People often buy videos of movies that they have previously seen in a theater.
E. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends.

Please explain this one. I believe the answer is A.


Isn't E actually strengthening the argument?

When Jennifer says 'The decline in rentals was probably due almost entirely to the February 1994 opening of Videorama' then Brad argues 'There must be another explanation'

Now option E i.e. People who own videos frequently loan them to their friends , is indeed another explanation.

Whereas the question says 'Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection'

Please correct me if i am wrong!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1212
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 21:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
Brad argues that there must be some other explanation that does not have to do with the opening of videorama.

Because of videorama, people were now able to buy videos and rent them to their friends, thereby preventing the friends for renting videos.


On another note, I'm not a big fan of this question since it seems to require a lot of assumptions (as straightforward as they may be)on the reader's part. I'd like to know the source of this question. If it is not a reputed source, I suggest not bothering about the question any more.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
Location: Canada
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 21:27
Not sure what the source is, but you can find Manhattan staff answer this question here:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/jen ... t8752.html
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10330
Premium Member
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2015, 04:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2015, 04:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 55 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Jennifer: Video rental outlets in Centerville together handled 10,000

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.