Last visit was: 06 Oct 2024, 02:27 It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 02:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 75613 [0]
Given Kudos: 21098
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Hey after giving gmat online smoothly without any hiccups yesterday, I received an email of my test going under aroutine security review. .Is this normal or my score will get cancelled? I am really tensed and panicking after seeing that mail.
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kuku1998Jan
Hey after giving gmat online smoothly without any hiccups yesterday, I received an email of my test going under aroutine security review. .Is this normal or my score will get cancelled? I am really tensed and panicking after seeing that mail.
If you ask me if you chill. Nothing is in your hands for the time being. You can only comment/ request once they give final verdict.

you should chill *
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 665570 [0]
Given Kudos: 87509
Send PM
Expert Reply
Critical Reasoning Butler: January 2024
January 26CR 1CR 2
Send PM
Bunuel
Critical Reasoning Butler: January 2024
January 26CR 1CR 2
These are really challenging questions. First one has two possible answers if I am correct.
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.26
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hey guys i am facing a problem with my account i cant see the GMAT timer in RC section its not visible its visible in quant but not in RCs please help?
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [0]
Given Kudos: 1005
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Want to sell used GMAT prep books to fellow aspirants, or Buy one from them?
You can post your ad or request here.
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
Send PM
Biologist: In Region X, the average horn mass and body length of adult bighorn sheep has dropped over the past several decades. The cause is probably regulations prohibiting hunting of smaller animals. These regulations have undoubtedly given smaller sheep an advantage in surviving to a reproductive age. Therefore, genes for smaller adult size most likely have spread through the population.

The two sections in boldface play which of the following roles in the biologist’s argument?

A The first is the main conclusion; the second is an observation for which a causal explanation is presented.
B The first is a premise supporting the second; the second is the main conclusion, but not the only conclusion.
C The first describes a phenomenon for which the main conclusion presents an explanation; the second is a subsidiary conclusion supporting the main conclusion.
D The first is a subsidiary conclusion that supports the main conclusion; the second is a premise that independently supports the main conclusion.
E The first suggests a causal explanation for a phenomenon described by the main conclusion; the second provides further evidence to support that explanation.

BF1- In Region X, the average horn mass and body length of adult bighorn sheep has dropped over the past several decades. BF2- genes for smaller adult size most likely have spread through the population. Can anyone ans this Q abve and also give the solution?
Send PM
imRaj
Biologist: In Region X, the average horn mass and body length of adult bighorn sheep has dropped over the past several decades. The cause is probably regulations prohibiting hunting of smaller animals. These regulations have undoubtedly given smaller sheep an advantage in surviving to a reproductive age. Therefore, genes for smaller adult size most likely have spread through the population. The two sections in boldface play which of the following roles in the biologist’s argument? A The first is the main conclusion; the second is an observation for which a causal explanation is presented. B The first is a premise supporting the second; the second is the main conclusion, but not the only conclusion. C The first describes a phenomenon for which the main conclusion presents an explanation; the second is a subsidiary conclusion supporting the main conclusion. D The first is a subsidiary conclusion that supports the main conclusion; the second is a premise that independently supports the main conclusion. E The first suggests a causal explanation for a phenomenon described by the main conclusion; the second provides further evidence to support that explanation.
Correct anwer is B: The first bold face is a premise ( you can it evidence/fact) supporting the second ; The second is the main conclusion, but not the only one. In this argument, the author presents his another opinion ( conclusion ) i.e: The casue is probably......bla bla

Let me know the official answer also, although I am 90% confident.
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Official answer I mean
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I’m not sitting for gmat but the exam that I’ll be attending has a section of critical reasoning data sufficiency and sentence correction

I’m practising these from gmat

But I don’t seem to do any better

any suggestions on how to be good at these?

So that i can at least ensure 70%?
Send PM
Sathvik02
Correct anwer is B: The first bold face is a premise ( you can it evidence/fact) supporting the second ; The second is the main conclusion, but not the only one. In this argument, the author presents his another opinion ( conclusion ) i.e: The casue is probably......bla bla
The ans is C. The solution is mentioning "The cause is probably regulations prohibiting hunting of smaller animals" as the main conclusion. I am also confused that how a causal sentence can become the main conclusion
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
imRaj
Biologist: In Region X, the average horn mass and body length of adult bighorn sheep has dropped over the past several decades. The cause is probably regulations prohibiting hunting of smaller animals. These regulations have undoubtedly given smaller sheep an advantage in surviving to a reproductive age. Therefore, genes for smaller adult size most likely have spread through the population.

The two sections in boldface play which of the following roles in the biologist’s argument?

A The first is the main conclusion; the second is an observation for which a causal explanation is presented.
B The first is a premise supporting the second; the second is the main conclusion, but not the only conclusion.
C The first describes a phenomenon for which the main conclusion presents an explanation; the second is a subsidiary conclusion supporting the main conclusion.
D The first is a subsidiary conclusion that supports the main conclusion; the second is a premise that independently supports the main conclusion.
E The first suggests a causal explanation for a phenomenon described by the main conclusion; the second provides further evidence to support that explanation.

BF1- In Region X, the average horn mass and body length of adult bighorn sheep has dropped over the past several decades. BF2- genes for smaller adult size most likely have spread through the population. Can anyone ans this Q abve and also give the solution?

This question is discussed in detail here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/biologist-in ... 22804.html Hope it helps.
Send PM
Bunuel
This question is discussed in detail here: biologist-in-region-x-the-average-horn-mass-and-body-length-of-adult-422804.html Hope it helps.
Yeah! from there only I have quoted the above solution
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
Hi Team,
Do we know the approximate split of number of questions between critical reasoning and reading comprehension. Need a rough estimate for creating forum quiz.
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Roughly SC 13-14, CR - 9, RC: 13-14 (3-5 passages)
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
apranav10
Hi Team,
Do we know the approximate split of number of questions between critical reasoning and reading comprehension. Need a rough estimate for creating forum quiz.

In the verbal section of GMAT Prep Focus practice exams, I consistently encountered 4 Reading Comprehension (RC) passages, each accompanied by either 3 or 4 questions. The distribution between Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning questions was:

• Either 13 RC and 10 CR questions, or 14 RC and 9 CR questions.

This meant I either faced 3 RC passages with 3 questions each and 1 RC passage with 4 questions, OR 2 RC passages with 3 questions each and 2 RC passages with 4 questions.
Send PM
imRaj
The ans is C. The solution is mentioning "The cause is probably regulations prohibiting hunting of smaller animals" as the main conclusion. I am also confused that how a causal sentence can become the main conclusion
It’s not a casual sentence. As I told before in the explanation made by me, it’s a claim ( conclusion ) made by the author. However, I disagree that this statement can be the main conclusion.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  118   119   120   121   122  ...  218   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7080 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14036 posts