Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 18:11 It is currently 12 May 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Should I take the exam again?

37% [3]
62% [5]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 2380
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Journey from 610 to 710 and Next Steps! [#permalink]
Hey there, congrats on the big jump.

My 2 cents on your question about a re-take. It seems you have quite a bit of extra-curriculars and volunteering experiences. So I believe there should be some good material to build a compelling story. Would help to talk to a few alums and current students of your target programs. Also check out the average GMAT of the batches. If you are 10-20 points above the average then it should be safe enough.

With respect to consultants, it seems you are looking primariliy at the ones based in India. I can share a few names: Aringo, Admissionado, Pythagurus, MBA Crystal Ball, MBA Decoder, Vibranture, Admissions Gateway, Crackverbal.

Cheers and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi nishantd88,

Thank you for the advice! I do appreciate it indeed.

Your observation is right on the money. The quality of my work experience, the extra-curricular and volunteering experience are things I will have fall back on to weave a good story as my GMAT score, while in the average range of most good schools, takes a massive dip in its competitiveness when it is compared to those of other applicants of a similar profile (Indian Male Engineer curse).

I did in fact get in touch with Aringo, Admisisonado and MBA Crystal Ball and got some well timed reality checks from them. I should be closing the final Consultant this week and jumping into the application process.

Regarding the dreaded question of the GMAT, I don't think I will be able to churn out another attempt. As much as I feel I can do better, taking the GMAT again would set me back in my timelines and that is something I won't be too keen to do. I do realize the implications that this would have. I will have to rethink the schools that I target and look for colleges outside the top 10 (though I will apply to 1 or 2). Further, I have had to come to terms that chasing pedigree is a very foolish way for me to think about doing the MBA. The way I perceive it, 3 years post B-school, my work has to speak for me and not only the brand of my college. And hey, if I really want pedigree, I can always go back to school for a specialization.

Lastly, I did read your debrief. It is most impressive! I really wish I had seen it before I had started prepping. Nonetheless, I feel the sentiment you shared in your debrief. I have a gut feeling that I can do better in the GMAT, especially in verbal but then again, I see it as a process of diminishing returns and just can't take the time out for it.

I have however decided to take the GRE once I am done and dusted with the B-school applications. It's a good weapon to have in my arsenal if I have to specialize later.

Thank you once again! May our paths cross someday :)

Cheers!
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Yup, makes sense to focus on the applications now instead of another GMAT attempt. I do know about the competition Indian male engineers face (I am one too), which is why I said you should be fine if you are 10-20 points above the average of your target programs. Also, considering the experiences you have, there should be good stories to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

Good luck with the apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I want to mention my great experience during the MBA admissions journey with GyanOne MBA Admissions consultants. I have made it to Oxford Said and Cambridge Judge and have interview invites from INSEAD and LBS.

Yes, for all applications I had worked with them extensively, done by them. One of my colleagues referred them to me and I think has been the best decision I took for my MBA journey. They are no doubt the top consultants to work for in India. The things I liked best while working with them is how thorough they are with their research and work. Rishabh (who I worked with) was always available to jump into Skype calls to discuss any question and would be able to answer any doubts throughout the process. It was an absolute pleasure working with him and the GyanOne team!

Would suggest and recommend them whole heartedly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
Journey from 610 to 710 and Next Steps! [#permalink]
Hi,

Heartiest congratulations on your score.I am planning to start preparing for gmat again for my 3rd attempt had given my last attempt in April this year and since then have been out of touched. I mostly used manhattan and powwrscore books to prepare. Scores 620 and 600 in previous attempts. Verbal is my weak area but surprisingly scored a little low in quant as well in previous attempt. Heard a lot about egmat online course and I am quite sure of buying verbal online. If i am fairly descent at quant still is the quant course worth buying? I think their scholaranium is the main attraction for improving weak areas..Kindly advise?? Planning to appear for gmat in couple of months.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ropochelsea

Hi ropochelsea,

Thank you for the suggestions! I did speak to them but finally decided to work with MBA Crystal Ball and MBA Decoder. Seem pretty satisfied with them as of now. Will share my reviews of them once my whole process in over.

Also, all the best for your interviews! Hope you ace them!

Cheers,
A
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kreel11

Hi kreel11,

I'm sorry about your GMAT troubles mate! I've been where you are and would be happy to help! The e-GMAT course worked quite well for me, especially verbal.

While their scholaranium is definitely a great resource, it was the step by step approach in their basic coursework which I benefited from the most. Besides, the scholaranium is something that you eventually get to for fine tuning what you already know rather than just learning new concepts.

Regarding Quant and being entirely honest, their course is good but if you're already good at it, you may feel underwhelmed by their course and lose interest quickly. But then again, you can always write to them to see if they would be keen to give you a trial and you can gauge if you really need the Quant course too.

I'd be happy to answer any more queries. Just drop me a message!

Hope I was able to help :)

Cheers,
A
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Congratulations on the score!
I’m a UT Dallas admit for Fall 2019 for the masters in the management science program. I chose to work with GyanOne (https://www.gyanone.com/) after a friend referred them. Their team is super helpful through our the process. They start with a profile evaluation and also help you in school selection based on your requirement. The feedback that they give is really helpful. I found out interesting aspects of my profile as I worked with them. They help you see aspects of your profile that you never noticed and help you highlight them in the application.

I worked with Rishabh from Gyanone on two of my applications and throughout the entire process, he has been super supportive and helpful. I can definitely vouch that they are ranked #1 consultants in India, considering the success, pricing and the support that they offer.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone who’s going through the process and looking for help and guidance. I'd suggest you talk with GyanOne as next steps if you'd like to understand different aspects of your profile to highlight the important ones as the business school applications take a holistic view of your profile for admits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
My story: Top European admit for MBA
I made my decision to work with GyanOne because I sensed a feeling of confidence right from the first call with Swati. She was very transparent about the process and quality of work. I realized coming from one of the most competitive pools (India) with a dream of International MBA would be a challenge that should be addressed the right way. At first, I felt the services were a little more expensive than the other consultants in the area, but it took me just a moment to decide ‘not to compromise with the dream career’. I started working with Rishabh, who can transform your application into a masterpiece, and the experience was brilliant. If you go by my word, every penny spent is worth the investment and I can vouch that they are the ranked 1 consultants in India, considering the success and pricing that they have. Rishabh was always available for calls and provided very honest feedback and perspective on my performance throughout the process. I strongly recommend all MBA aspirants to work with Gyanone.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Thanks for sharing the experience it was extremely helpful to see this improvement.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37416 posts