Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                                          
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1074 [327]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
 Q48  V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [82]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [59]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
GODSPEED wrote:
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands.

(A) so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did

(B) so fast, and in some parts even faster than, those

(C) as fast, and in some parts even faster than, those

(D) as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, those

(E) as fast as, and in some parts even faster than what they did

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the meaning of this sentence is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as land values outside the pinelands did.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparisons + Idioms

• “as A as B” is correct, idiomatic usage.
• Comparison must always be made between similar things.
• The pronouns "that" and "those" are used to refer to variations of the subject, and "it" and "they" are used to refer to the exact subject.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "so fast"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as land values outside the pinelands did. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the pronoun "they" to refer to a variation of the subject "land values in most parts of the pinelands"; in other words, Option A uses "they" to refer to a set of land values other than those in most parts of the pineland; please remember, the pronouns "that" and "those" are used to refer to variations of the subject, and "it" and "they" are used to refer to the exact subject.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "so fast"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as land values outside the pinelands did.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as A ("fast") B ("those outside the pinelands")"; please remember, “as A as B” is correct, idiomatic usage.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the idiomatic construction "as A ("fast") as B ("those outside the pinelands")", conveying the intended meaning - that land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as land values outside the pinelands did. Further, Option D correctly compares "land values in most parts of the pinelands rose" with "those outside the pinelands (rose)"; in other words, Option D correctly compares how land values in most parts of the pinelands rose and how land values outside the pinelands rose. Additionally, Option D correctly uses the pronoun "those" to refer to a variation of the subject "land values in most parts of the pinelands"; in other words, Option D correctly uses "those" to refer to a set of land values other than those in most parts of the pineland.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares "land values in most parts of the pinelands rose" to "what they did outside the pinelands"; in other words, Option E incorrectly compares how land values in most parts of the pineland rose to what action the land values took outside the pinelands; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the pronoun "they" to refer to a variation of the subject "land values in most parts of the pinelands"; in other words, Option E uses "they" to refer to a set of land values other than those in most parts of the pineland; please remember, the pronouns "that" and "those" are used to refer to variations of the subject, and "it" and "they" are used to refer to the exact subject.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Please remember, in a comparison between two actions, repeated instances of a verb can be omitted for the sake of conciseness; in this case, a second instance of the verb "rose" has been omitted from the end of the sentence.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so [#permalink]
Kudos
GODSPEED wrote:
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands.

I'm getting D...

Narrow down to D and E because the idiom requires "as fast as".
Eliminate E, because it implies that the whole phrase "land values in most parts of the pinelands" are also rising outside the pinelands, which is a contradiction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so [#permalink]
Kudos
seekmba wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation of why D and not E?
GODSPEED wrote:

I'm just trying to explain why not E....

"Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands. "

Notice there is a missing comma after "than."
Iimagine the comma and remove modifying clause:

"Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as what they did outside the pinelands. "

Now remove preposition "of":

"Last year, land values rose almost as fast as what they did outside the pinelands."

Does this sentence sound correct to you still?

No.... That's why D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Comparisons [#permalink]
Kudos
From OG Verbal 2:

A. so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did
B. so fast, and in some parts even faster than, those
C. as fast, and in some parts even faster than, those
D. as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, those
E. as fast as, and in some parts even faster than what they did

Hi Mike :)
I have confusion between D and E.
in D: , and blah blah phrase, here and is in an appositive phrase (it is neither ending a list nor it is connecting 2 ICs). Therefore I have doubt. Otherwise, (because rose is an intransitive verb and we can drop the verb) the structure- X rose as fast as Y, seems perfect to me.

Now in E: ,and usage is also not fine to me because there are no 2 ICs. Also it does not seem as a list.
Otherwise, the structure- X rose as fast as Y did, seems perfect to me. However, "what" seems awkward and unnecessary to me.

The ideal sentence i think of are:
F. as fast as, in some parts even faster than, those
G. as fast as, in some parts even faster than, they did/rose

However, please explain and correct me.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Comparisons [#permalink]
Pretty strong words to negate E,Mike. Could you share on what exactly is wrong in E and what minimal changes would have fixed it?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [14]
Given Kudos: 130
Comparisons [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himanshujovi wrote:
Pretty strong words to negate E,Mike. Could you share on what exactly is wrong in E and what minimal changes would have fixed it?

Dear himanshujovi,
I'm happy to respond. :-) Yes, strong words. I feel I should add the caveat -- I am actually deeply committed to non-violence, and would not recommend taking any living person out back to shoot them! Nevertheless, I am very strong in my metaphors because I think it is helpful for student to develop a keen sense of what kinds of SC answer choices are just over-the-top wrong. The official questions often contain one or two answer choices that are egregiously wrong, and spotting these instantly is enormously helpful in negotiating the SC questions. For example, in this question, any student who spent time pondering over Choice (E) would be wasting precious time & energy.

Think about this sentence ....
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, ....
Now, think about the possible endings for that sentence:
1) .... those outside the pinelands = elegant & precise; the OA. This sets the gold standard for directness & concision.

2) ... those rose outside the pineland. = acceptable, not ideal; we have just repeated the verb; if (D) were absent, this could be an OA on an official question, because sometimes an OA is acceptable, basically correct, but not ideal.

3) ... what those did outside the pineland. = yuck! Now, we have taken an action, a verb, and congealed it into a noun phrase, "what those did." First of all, changing a verb to an individual noun makes a sentence more wordy and less direct; see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/
Changing a verb to a noun phrase is even worse ---- even wordier, and even more indirect. Furthermore, we are now violating parallelism in the comparison --- we are no longer comparing verb-action to verb-action; we are now comparing verb-action to a noun-phrase about an action. This is double-whammy bad. You would think that we couldn't possibly make an answer worse than this, but .....

4) ... what they did outside the pineland. = this has everything that was wrong with #3, but as a topper, it also has the subtle pronoun mistake I discussed in the previous post, personal pronoun rather than demonstrative pronoun --- that's a like an extra "garnish" mistake, on top of all the other mistakes. This is (E), which is really a virtuoso display of how bad an answer can be and still appear plausible to some test takers. The folks at GMAC pride themselves on making these incorrect answer choices that are as flawed as possible, and yet still believable enough that some people select them.

So (E), in its current form, is a unholy disaster, a spectacularly flawed answer choice. You asked: "what minimal changes would have fixed it?" That's like asking what three easy steps would make diphtheria a pleasant experience!!! It's a completely absurd question!! More to the point, it is the absolute wrong question for you to ask. You need to ask yourself: what steps do you need to take, in your own studies, so that when an SC answer choice is as flamboyantly incorrect as (E) is here, you recognize it instantly and without hesitation? What step do you need to take so that you can advance toward SC mastery, so that obviously flawed answer such as this pose absolutely no obstacle for you? That's where your focus need to be, not on jiggering hopeless answers in an attempt to improve them.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Before we jump into this one: the sentence is clearly trying to compare the increase in land values in the pinelands to the increase in land values elsewhere. If we’re trying to compare those two things, a phrase like “as fast as” makes perfect sense, but if we say “so fast”, there’s actually no comparison happening: in this context, “so” basically means “very”, and just stresses that the increase was substantial.

With that in mind…

Quote:

… “so fast” doesn't convey the correct meaning, since we’re trying to compare the increases inside pinelands to the increases elsewhere. We’d need to use something like “as fast as”, not “so fast.”

Plus, the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values”, so that gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” That makes no sense at all.

So we can eliminate (A).

Quote:

(E) has a variation of the same problem we saw in (A): the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values.”

So that once again gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” And that still makes no sense at all.

So (E) is out, and we’re left with (D).

Hi GMATNinja,

I am not a native speaker. Please excuse me if you find my question dumb, but I am not finding the above sentence weird at all. Will you please elaborate a bit more ?

To confirm "land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than [land values rose] outside the pinelands." Is this sentence correct grammatically ?
if yes , how is "What" changing the meaning or making the sentence weird.
If no, What's wrong with this (without "what") sentence ?

Though I was able to guess the right ans , I want to be sure about my selection (as you mentioned :))

Please help me !!!

Thanks
Teja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [30]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos