GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Oct 2018, 21:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (00:50) correct 30% (00:51) wrong based on 1013 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands.

(A) so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did

(B) so fast, and in some parts even faster than, those

(C) as fast, and in some parts even faster than, those

(D) as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, those

(E) as fast as, and in some parts even faster than what they did

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 235: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 291
Page: 272[/textarea]

Originally posted by GODSPEED on 27 Oct 2008, 06:42.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Oct 2018, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 13:40
Before we jump into this one: the sentence is clearly trying to compare the increase in land values in the pinelands to the increase in land values elsewhere. If we’re trying to compare those two things, a phrase like “as fast as” makes perfect sense, but if we say “so fast”, there’s actually no comparison happening: in this context, “so” basically means “very”, and just stresses that the increase was substantial.

With that in mind…

Quote:

… “so fast” doesn't convey the correct meaning, since we’re trying to compare the increases inside pinelands to the increases elsewhere. We’d need to use something like “as fast as”, not “so fast.”

Plus, the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values”, so that gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” That makes no sense at all.

So we can eliminate (A).

Quote:

The phrase “so fast” still doesn’t make sense in (B) – see above for more on that issue.

Plus, “those” is a plural pronoun that refers back to “land values.” So if we replace “those” with “land values”, we get: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so fast, (…modifier blah blah…), land values outside the pinelands.” That makes no sense, either.

(B) is gone, too.

Quote:

This is getting closer, but the comparison still isn’t complete: we need this to say “as fast as”, not just “as fast.” If we replace “those” with its referent (“land values”), that gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast, (…modifier blah blah…), land values outside the pinelands.” That doesn’t work.

And even if you think that the “than” inside that modifier (“and in some parts even faster than”) somehow applies to the rest of the comparison, we still have a problem: you can’t say “as fast than.”

So we can ditch (C).

Quote:

This one seems to work! If we once again replace “those” with “land values”, we get: “…land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, (…modifier blah blah…), land values outside the pinelands.” Great, we can keep (D).

Quote:

(E) has a variation of the same problem we saw in (A): the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values.”

So that once again gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” And that still makes no sense at all.

So (E) is out, and we’re left with (D).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2010, 19:48
seekmba wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation of why D and not E?

I'm just trying to explain why not E....

"Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands. "

Notice there is a missing comma after "than."
Iimagine the comma and remove modifying clause:

"Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as what they did outside the pinelands. "

Now remove preposition "of":

"Last year, land values rose almost as fast as what they did outside the pinelands."

Does this sentence sound correct to you still?

No.... That's why D

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2008, 10:30
GODSPEED wrote:
Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so fast, and in some parts even faster than what they did outside the pinelands.

I'm getting D...

Narrow down to D and E because the idiom requires "as fast as".
Eliminate E, because it implies that the whole phrase "land values in most parts of the pinelands" are also rising outside the pinelands, which is a contradiction.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2010, 18:04
Can someone provide a detailed explanation of why D and not E?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 10:24
GMATNinja wrote:
Before we jump into this one: the sentence is clearly trying to compare the increase in land values in the pinelands to the increase in land values elsewhere. If we’re trying to compare those two things, a phrase like “as fast as” makes perfect sense, but if we say “so fast”, there’s actually no comparison happening: in this context, “so” basically means “very”, and just stresses that the increase was substantial.

With that in mind…

Quote:

… “so fast” doesn't convey the correct meaning, since we’re trying to compare the increases inside pinelands to the increases elsewhere. We’d need to use something like “as fast as”, not “so fast.”

Plus, the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values”, so that gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” That makes no sense at all.

So we can eliminate (A).

Quote:

(E) has a variation of the same problem we saw in (A): the phrase “what they did” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. In this context, the verb “did” refers back to the verb “rose”, and “they” seems to refer to “land values.”

So that once again gives us: “land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.” And that still makes no sense at all.

So (E) is out, and we’re left with (D).

Hi GMATNinja,

I am not a native speaker. Please excuse me if you find my question dumb, but I am not finding the above sentence weird at all. Will you please elaborate a bit more ?

To confirm "land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than [land values rose] outside the pinelands." Is this sentence correct grammatically ?
if yes , how is "What" changing the meaning or making the sentence weird.
If no, What's wrong with this (without "what") sentence ?

Though I was able to guess the right ans , I want to be sure about my selection (as you mentioned :))

Please help me !!!

Thanks
Teja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 10:51
evs.teja wrote:

Hi GMATNinja,

I am not a native speaker. Please excuse me if you find my question dumb, but I am not finding the above sentence weird at all. Will you please elaborate a bit more ?

To confirm "land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than [land values rose] outside the pinelands." Is this sentence correct grammatically ?
if yes , how is "What" changing the meaning or making the sentence weird.
If no, What's wrong with this (without "what") sentence ?

Though I was able to guess the right ans , I want to be sure about my selection (as you mentioned :))

Please help me !!!

Thanks
Teja

Good question, Teja! It's funny, the same issue came up on this Verbal Guide question about the gyrfalcon. So I'll borrow a little bit from my post on that thread. :)

Here's the phrase from (A) again, with "they" and "did" replaced by their referents, "land values" and "rose":

“...land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than what [land values rose] outside the pinelands.”

If we could remove the word "what", that sentence would be fine. But "what" is definitely a problem. When it's used as a pronoun in a non-question (technically, a relative pronoun if you like jargon), it's basically a singular phrase that means "the things that." So these two sentences (stolen from my post on the other thread) would be OK:

• "What I did after drinking 17 beers last night was regrettable." --> In other words, "the things that I did last night [were] regrettable." Grammatically, that works fine.
  • "Mike couldn't believe what he saw on the beach in Chile." --> Mike couldn't believe "the things that he saw" on the beach. That also works fine.

So let's apply that to the question in this thread. Rewriting (A) again, replacing "what" with "the things that":

“...land values in most parts of the pinelands rose… even faster than [the things that] [land values rose] outside the pinelands.”

Pretty bad, right? :|

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
QOTD: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 02:19
I have one doubt :

Correct Answer: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, those outside the pinelands.

Doubt :
Here we have ',and' before 'in some parts'. According to MGMAT SC we use ',and' when we have list of items or we have two clauses connected by 'and'. But here it performs neither of the two functions.
So what is ,and doing here? Someone please explain ?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 08:22
sunitagitu wrote:
I have one doubt :

Correct Answer: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost as fast as, and in some parts even faster than, those outside the pinelands.

Doubt :
Here we have ',and' before 'in some parts'. According to MGMAT SC we use ',and' when we have list of items or we have two clauses connected by 'and'. But here it performs neither of the two functions.
So what is ,and doing here? Someone please explain ?

Hello sunitagitu,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

In the correct answer choice of this sentence, the phrase and in some parts even faster than is added information that has been inserted between the expression as fast as those outside the pinelands.

This added information has been enclosed between two commas - the comma before and and the comma after than. The sentence intends to say the following:

Land values in most part of the pinelands rose almost as fast as those outside the pinelands. Land values in some part of the pinelands rose even faster than those outside the pinelands.

The idiom faster than has been inserted between the as fast as idiom to convey the intended meaning.

If we remove this added information from the sentence, the two commas will also disappear. So the comma before and does not really belong to and. The comma pair has been used to enclose an added information that starts with and.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: QOTD: Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands &nbs [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 08:22

Last year, land values in most parts of the pinelands rose almost so

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap