GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McDonough for Strategy vs Apply Elsewhere?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2
McDonough for Strategy vs Apply Elsewhere?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 00:24
Hello all, long time lurker and first time poster.

I applied to four schools in R1, and got rejected by three (Fuqua, Ross and Darden). McDonough was my only acceptance, with no scholarship. I'm debating whether to go to McDonough or try again with other schools. I'm thinking Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, and Mendoza. Maybe even Tepper. I just did a free consultation with an admissions consultant who pointed out flaws in my R1 apps, so I'm confident I could put together stronger submissions for R2.

Reason to stick with McDonough: I currently live in the DC area with my wife, so staying in DC would help with living and travel costs (my wife would be staying here anyway, regardless if I went to study elsewhere). We also would like to settle long-term in the DC area after my MBA. Georgetown brand name is strong globally if we decided to move elsewhere later on.

Reason to apply elsewhere: My background is operations consulting, and I'm looking to move into strategy consulting post-MBA. Realistically, I'm not shooting for MBB but rather tier 2 consulting firms. I'm a bit concerned that McDonough has a lot of recruitment for federal consulting, and there may be no opportunities for private-sector consulting recruiting.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions!
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: McDonough for Strategy vs Apply Elsewhere?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 07:54
You'll get non public sector recruiting out of McDonough too; you may have to do a bit more legwork for it. This is when I'd suggest you reach out to current students there and their consulting club to hear directly from them about the opportunities. McDonough alums are fiercely loyal to each other so you may find you have more consulting connections than you think you'll have.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 15:35
sushi12 wrote:
I currently live in the DC area with my wife, so staying in DC would help with living and travel costs (my wife would be staying here anyway, regardless if I went to study elsewhere).

I'd stick to DC if this were my situation. McDonough has a great program (and facility! and location!).

I'd still also apply to Smith and GWSB to see if they offer big money if I were you. It can't hurt to have some other options, especially if they confer the same degree for up to $100k cheaper. I would suggest seeing if any of your target consulting firms recruit regularly at Smith/GWSB. I would not be surprised if they send folks to Big 4 (and other) firms every year. (Even if it is not at the same scale that McDonough does...)

Good luck!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 15:39
Smith and GWU have some challenges when it comes to on campus hiring and employment assistance from career services based on the reviews out of those schools. Being ranked as they are, they lack some of the pull Georgetown has in DC.
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 18:19
bb wrote:
Smith and GWU have some challenges when it comes to on campus hiring and employment assistance from career services based on the reviews out of those schools. Being ranked as they are, they lack some of the pull Georgetown has in DC.

I would certainly keep this in mind as well as you weigh your options and consider your future plans. bb is right, going to a lower ranked school could really limit your recruiting options, and there's no doubt Georgetown is the 800-pound gorilla of the bunch.

I will just mention though, some MBA candidates already have the background and networks they need (minus the benchmark MBA) to achieve their goals. If that is the case for you, the lower ranked programs at a considerable discount can be viable options. (And I'd add Carey at JHU to the list of schools to consider if you feel that way.)

In any case, you probably will have a great time as a Bulldog if that's where you end up. Congrats on the offer!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2016, 19:08
Thanks aerien, teleste, and bb for your time and comments! I've spent the past 24 hours talking with many friends, family and colleagues and the overwhelming consensus is that I go to Georgetown. I'll likely put down the deposit, and am planning to address my recruiting concerns during the admitted students weekend. Though, I may still submit an app to maybe just Kenan-Flagler. I did visit Maryland and GW's programs but wasn't as impressed as I was with McDonough.

teleste, admittedly my network isn't strong here in DC, and so being in the area or at least the East Coast is a strong factor in my selection. (I lived in Texas before, so I know a lot of people from McCombs and Mays. But my wife doesn't want to move back there).
GMAT Club Bot
McDonough for Strategy vs Apply Elsewhere?   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2016, 19:08

McDonough for Strategy vs Apply Elsewhere?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste