Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [19]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Send PM
Re: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ayushgmatclub1 wrote:
VeritasKarishma can you please explain Q1 in detail and how to eliminate incorrect options? Thanks in advance!

ayushgmatclub1

Referring to the passage, 3rd paragraph:

"Others, such as Claude Lévi-Strauss have argued that apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought - called structuralism."

So structuralism is the fundamental similarity in the structure of human thought.

So people not in contact with each other and in different environments may have similar thoughts.

A- Two indigenous groups, from separate and isolated polar latitudes, developed similar customs in coping with the cold climate.

This says that the environment might make them establish similar habits. Incorrect.

B- Many of the customs of a South Pacific island culture are linked to the mainland cultures 3000 miles away; it is believed that some contact from primitive raft journeys took place between the cultures.

This indicates "diffusion" that the passage talks about.

C- Two ancient cultures with no interaction and vastly different climates were found by archaeologists to have developed strangely similar customs and innovations.

Correct. No contact, no similarity in environment and still similar thoughts. Points to structuralism.

D- Many of the modern astronomical and mathematical systems used today have been adapted from techniques developed by the Maya over 4,000 years ago.

Influence from previous generations. Incorrect.

E- Many important intellectual advances in human history, such as the development of calculus and evolutionary theory, took place independently of one another.

Different theories evolving independently. Incorrect.

Answer (C)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Question 3:

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology".

Does it mean ethnology is a branch of anthropology? Or Does it mean anthropology is a branch of ethnology?

I can not find any text from which I can infer the first case. And if bold sentence is the only reference than second case looks better.

But answer choice says it is case 1.

If it is given that A is a part of B, can we infer B is also a part of A?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
AkshdeepS wrote:
Question 3:

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology".

Does it mean ethnology is a branch of anthropology? Or Does it mean anthropology is a branch of ethnology?

I can not find any text from which I can infer the first case. And if bold sentence is the only reference than second case looks better.

oblivion441
Hi,

Though I got rest two questions incorrect, I got third correct. So, the second line of third para says that "Some ethnologists of this group".. from there I inferred that enthology is a branch of anthropology.

Could you please post your reasons for questions 1 & 2. It will be really helpful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bookmarks
Wonderwoman31
Yes, it is correct.
"apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought" such as Inventions, that are similar in completely different cultures because the way of reasoning of humans is similar.

I think you chose A because you thought it was referring to "such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments" while this is the Steward theory.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
oblivion441 wrote:
Wonderwoman31
Yes, it is correct.
"apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought" such as Inventions, that are similar in completely different cultures because the way of reasoning of humans is similar.

I think you chose A because you thought it was referring to "such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments" while this is the Steward theory.

Hi,

Yeah, maybe I referred to Steward's theory and I should have referred Strauss' theory. But, while I attempting the passage, I re-read the passage and could not infer out Strauss suggesting Option C.

In case, it is clearer to you. Could you make Strauss' theory little simpler to me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Stewards says that humans react the same ways because they adapt to similar environments (as animals do). Whilst Strauss says that "pattern of development" lay in the similar way of thinking, which is directly related to innovations more than to reactions to similar climates
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Bookmarks
I got 2 correct:
Q1 and Q3.

Hello Experts GMATNinja Sir, VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Regarding Q2: How can the historical perspective be an answer?
The structure of passage is:
P1: Modern Anthropology is described and its derivation is stated
P2: Ethnology is discussed and one school of thought is detailed
P3: Second thought of Ethnology is detailed ( passed through similar phase of transformation)
P4: Disagreement among anthropologists for similar phase of transformation and further evidences.

All in all passage seems to describe the evolution of anthropology and it's theories.
I weigh C over D.
Can you please help me explain how D beats C ?

Regards,
Rishav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
AkshdeepS wrote:
Question 3:

I think that the key fact is that the sentence says that modern cultural anthropology has its origins in ethnology, not anthropology as a all. So in general, ethnology is a branch of anthropology, and Modern cultural anthropology developed in reaction to ethnology

I am not 100% sure that this is the correct explanation but I've seen it this way :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Wonderwoman31

Of course, I tell you my way of reasoning, even though I am not sure this is the correct way.

So for question 1, A is really attractive, although it differs from C because:
Structuralism= similarities due to similar thoughts
Coping with the cold is not as strong as developing similar customs and INNOVATIONS,
Plus "with no interaction and vastly different climates" is specified, and strengthen the argument, whereas it is not mentioned in A

For question 2, the answer is D because the author is explaining how ethnology was interpreted by different points of view and the effects that these points of view have had on modern anthropology.
C might be tempting although it is not about the theories OF m.c.a. but the theories that HAVE LED TO m.c.a

BTW these questions are REALLY tricky

Hope this helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
oblivion441 wrote:
Wonderwoman31

Of course, I tell you my way of reasoning, even though I am not sure this is the correct way.

So for question 1, A is really attractive, although it differs from C because:
Structuralism= similarities due to similar thoughts
Coping with the cold is not as strong as developing similar customs and INNOVATIONS,
Plus "with no interaction and vastly different climates" is specified, and strengthen the argument, whereas it is not mentioned in A

For question 2, the answer is D because the author is explaining how ethnology was interpreted by different points of view and the effects that these points of view have had on modern anthropology.
C might be tempting although it is not about the theories OF m.c.a. but the theories that HAVE LED TO m.c.a

BTW these questions are REALLY tricky

Hope this helps :)

Hi,

I wanted to specifically discuss question 1. So, the difference, I have understood, in choices is that in choice A people developed similarities when faced with similar situations. While, in Option C people developed similarities even when there were different situations.

I think the passage was saying the first. That is why I marked A. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
rish2708 wrote:
I got 2 correct:
Q1 and Q3.

Hello Experts GMATNinja Sir, VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Regarding Q2: How can the historical perspective be an answer?
The structure of passage is:
P1: Modern Anthropology is described and its derivation is stated
P2: Ethnology is discussed and one school of thought is detailed
P3: Second thought of Ethnology is detailed ( passed through similar phase of transformation)
P4: Disagreement among anthropologists for similar phase of transformation and further evidences.

All in all passage seems to describe the evolution of anthropology and it's theories.
I weigh C over D.
Can you please help me explain how D beats C ?

Regards,
Rishav

Rishav,

You are missing the common link in all of these: 19th century ethnology

Para 1: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in 19th century "ethnology".
Para 2: A field of special interest of ethnology is discussed and a 19th century school of thought is shared.
Para 3: The other 19th century school of thought of ethnology is shared.
Para 4: 20th century anthropologists rejected 19th century ideas because of conflicting empirical facts.

All of this is in the past 19th century (1800s) and 20th century (1900s).

The passage is all about a historical perspective of 19th century ethnology.
Answer (D)

As for C- explain the theories of modern cultural anthropology,
we don't know the theories of modern cultural anthropology. The passage just says that modern cultural anthropology has its roots in 19th century ethnology. After that it discusses 19th century ethnology only.

Thanks Ma'am,

I get it!! Closely looking, I missed the point that anthropology has its origin from "ethonology". So in a way P1 talks about what ethonology has given out.
Earlier I thought the central idea was anthropology.

Regards,
Rishav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Hi All,

I am still confused with question 1 and question 3. In question 1 why it's not A?
A- Two indigenous groups, from separate and isolated polar latitudes, developed similar customs in coping with the cold climate.
When it's mentioned " from separate and isolated polar latitudes" and they still developed similar customs in coping with the cold climate. It can be due to the similarity in their thought patterns.

While in C ---
C- Two ancient cultures with no interaction and vastly different climates were found by archaeologists to have developed strangely similar customs and innovations. ---> It can support Independent Invention..

Q: 3 In question 3 we have in the passage "Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology", "

When Modern anthropology has its origins in and its developed in reaction to ethnology than how it can be the branch of anthropology?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Regarding Q3=>
My observation from the last paragraph:
By the mid-20th century, the examples of people skipping stages, such as going from hunter-gatherers to post-industrial service occupations in one generation, were so numerous that 19th century social evolutionism was effectively disproved.

If we take a hint from this, shouldn't Ethnology be synonymous to Social Evolution?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma why is option A wrong for Q2?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshat1617 wrote:

The primary purpose of a passage is the reason an author writes a passage. If the author had written this passage to "show that the basic tenets of 19th century social evolutionism are false", one paragraph would have discussed the 19th century social evolutionism and rest of the paragraphs would have showed why it is false. Reason 1 why they make no sense... Reason 2 why they make no sense... etc. But that is not the author's intent.

Para 1: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in 19th century "ethnology".
Para 2: A field of special interest of ethnology is discussed and a 19th century school of thought is shared.
Para 4: 20th century anthropologists rejected 19th century ideas because of conflicting empirical facts.

The historical perspective (19th and 20th century) of ethnology is given.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 337
Send PM
VeritasKarishma can you please explain Q1 in detail and how to eliminate incorrect options? Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
akshat1617 wrote:

The primary purpose of a passage is the reason an author writes a passage. If the author had written this passage to "show that the basic tenets of 19th century social evolutionism are false", one paragraph would have discussed the 19th century social evolutionism and rest of the paragraphs would have showed why it is false. Reason 1 why they make no sense... Reason 2 why they make no sense... etc. But that is not the author's intent.

The historical perspective (19th and 20th century) of ethnology is given.

Hi VeritasKarishma,

Would like to seek clarification regarding this explanation. If the aim of the passage was to provide historical perspective of ethnology in the 19th century, what was the point of the author including the last paragraph? Why would he bother to add this paragraph explaining how 20th century anthropologists have essentially voided all truths to the work of the 19th century ethnologists?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts