GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 09:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 22:02
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 22 sessions

36% (03:36) correct 64% (03:33) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 24 sessions

29% (01:12) correct 71% (01:11) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 21 sessions

19% (01:06) correct 81% (01:24) wrong

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology", which involves the organized comparison of human societies. Scholars like E.B. Taylor and J.G. Frazer in England worked mostly with materials collected by others – usually missionaries, traders, explorers, or colonial officials. This practice earned them their current sobriquet of "arm-chair anthropologists".

Ethnologists share a special interest in why people living in different parts of the world often had similar beliefs and practices. In addressing this question, ethnologists in the 19th century divided into two schools of thought. Some, like Grafton Elliot Smith, argued that different groups must somehow have learned from one another, however indirectly; in other words, they argued that cultural traits must have spread from one place to another, or "diffused".

Other ethnologists argued that different groups had the capability of inventing similar beliefs and practices independently. Some of those who advocated "independent invention", like Lewis Henry Morgan, additionally supposed that similarities meant that different groups had passed through the same stages of cultural evolution. Morgan, like other 19th century social evolutionists, believed there was a more or less orderly progression from the primitive to the civilized.

20th century anthropologists largely reject the notion that all human societies must pass through the same stages in the same order, on the grounds that such a notion does not fit the empirical facts. Some ethnologists from this group, like Julian Steward, have instead argued that such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments. Others, such as Claude Lévi-Strauss have argued that apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought - called structuralism. By the mid-20th century, the examples of people skipping stages, such as going from hunter-gatherers to post-industrial service occupations in one generation, were so numerous that 19th century social evolutionism was effectively disproved.

Questions.

1- Which of the following observations, if true, would help validate the theory of structuralism?

A- Two indigenous groups, from separate and isolated polar latitudes, developed similar customs in coping with the cold climate.

B- Many of the customs of a South Pacific island culture are linked to the mainland cultures 3000 miles away; it is believed that some contact from primitive raft journeys took place between the cultures.

C- Two ancient cultures with no interaction and vastly different climates were found by archaeologists to have developed strangely similar customs and innovations.

D- Many of the modern astronomical and mathematical systems used today have been adapted from techniques developed by the Maya over 4,000 years ago.

E- Many important intellectual advances in human history, such as the development of calculus and evolutionary theory, took place independently of one another.

2- The primary purpose of this passage is to:

A- show that the basic tenets of 19th century social evolutionism are false

B- discuss two conflicting views of 19th century ethnologists

C- explain the theories of modern cultural anthropology

D- provide a historical perspective on 19th century ethnology

E- argue that 20th century perspectives on ethnology are superior to 19th century perspectives.

3- It can be inferred from the passage that “ethnology” is:

A- different from cultural anthropology

B- a branch of anthropology

C- synonymous with social evolution

D- a separate field of study from anthropology

E- similar to “structuralism”

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 22:45
Question 3:

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology".

Does it mean ethnology is a branch of anthropology? Or Does it mean anthropology is a branch of ethnology?

I can not find any text from which I can infer the first case. And if bold sentence is the only reference than second case looks better.

But answer choice says it is case 1.

If it is given that A is a part of B, can we infer B is also a part of A?

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
CAT Tests
Re: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 10:08
nightblade354

Please take a shot at this. I got only one correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:05
AkshdeepS wrote:
Question 3:

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology".

Does it mean ethnology is a branch of anthropology? Or Does it mean anthropology is a branch of ethnology?

I can not find any text from which I can infer the first case. And if bold sentence is the only reference than second case looks better.

I think that the key fact is that the sentence says that modern cultural anthropology has its origins in ethnology, not anthropology as a all. So in general, ethnology is a branch of anthropology, and Modern cultural anthropology developed in reaction to ethnology

I am not 100% sure that this is the correct explanation but I've seen it this way :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:10
AkshdeepS wrote:
Question 3:

oblivion441
Hi,

Though I got rest two questions incorrect, I got third correct. So, the second line of third para says that "Some ethnologists of this group".. from there I inferred that enthology is a branch of anthropology.

Could you please post your reasons for questions 1 & 2. It will be really helpful
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:27
AkshdeepS wrote:
Question 3:

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed in reaction to, 19th century "ethnology", which involves the organized comparison of human societies.

^ This is suggests that Anthropology is related to ethnology. But note that it in the first three paragraphs only 19th century studies are discussed. It isn't until the final paragraph that we see the below:

20th century anthropologists largely reject the notion that all human societies must pass through the same stages in the same order, on the grounds that such a notion does not fit the empirical facts. Some ethnologists from this group, like Julian Steward, have instead argued that such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments.

^ "Some ethnologists from this group" definitely suggests that ethnology is a subset of anthropology. As if it was not until the 20th century that anthropology was listed as a "parent" of ethnology.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:39
Wonderwoman31

Of course, I tell you my way of reasoning, even though I am not sure this is the correct way.

So for question 1, A is really attractive, although it differs from C because:
Structuralism= similarities due to similar thoughts
Coping with the cold is not as strong as developing similar customs and INNOVATIONS,
Plus "with no interaction and vastly different climates" is specified, and strengthen the argument, whereas it is not mentioned in A

For question 2, the answer is D because the author is explaining how ethnology was interpreted by different points of view and the effects that these points of view have had on modern anthropology.
C might be tempting although it is not about the theories OF m.c.a. but the theories that HAVE LED TO m.c.a

BTW these questions are REALLY tricky

Hope this helps :)
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:45
oblivion441 wrote:
Wonderwoman31

Of course, I tell you my way of reasoning, even though I am not sure this is the correct way.

So for question 1, A is really attractive, although it differs from C because:
Structuralism= similarities due to similar thoughts
Coping with the cold is not as strong as developing similar customs and INNOVATIONS,
Plus "with no interaction and vastly different climates" is specified, and strengthen the argument, whereas it is not mentioned in A

For question 2, the answer is D because the author is explaining how ethnology was interpreted by different points of view and the effects that these points of view have had on modern anthropology.
C might be tempting although it is not about the theories OF m.c.a. but the theories that HAVE LED TO m.c.a

BTW these questions are REALLY tricky

Hope this helps :)

Hi,

I wanted to specifically discuss question 1. So, the difference, I have understood, in choices is that in choice A people developed similarities when faced with similar situations. While, in Option C people developed similarities even when there were different situations.

I think the passage was saying the first. That is why I marked A. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 11:53
Wonderwoman31
Yes, it is correct.
"apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought" such as Inventions, that are similar in completely different cultures because the way of reasoning of humans is similar.

I think you chose A because you thought it was referring to "such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments" while this is the Steward theory.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 12:05
oblivion441 wrote:
Wonderwoman31
Yes, it is correct.
"apparent patterns of development reflect fundamental similarities in the structure of human thought" such as Inventions, that are similar in completely different cultures because the way of reasoning of humans is similar.

I think you chose A because you thought it was referring to "such similarities reflected similar adaptations to similar environments" while this is the Steward theory.

Hi,

Yeah, maybe I referred to Steward's theory and I should have referred Strauss' theory. But, while I attempting the passage, I re-read the passage and could not infer out Strauss suggesting Option C.

In case, it is clearer to you. Could you make Strauss' theory little simpler to me?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 12:16
Stewards says that humans react the same ways because they adapt to similar environments (as animals do). Whilst Strauss says that "pattern of development" lay in the similar way of thinking, which is directly related to innovations more than to reactions to similar climates
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 12:18
oblivion441 It was helpful. Thank you so much :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 12:18

Modern cultural anthropology has its origins in, and developed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap