Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6122 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
My journey to a 780 (Q51/V45 + IR 8) on first try :) [#permalink]
Congrats :-D Such a really high score on the first attempt :-D

I have one question. Are verbal questions from OG and GMATPrep hard enough to practice? You said that "the verbal was brutal", this means verbal questions in actual test are much harder than from OG and GMATPrep?

Also, how did you improve your RC section? Could you share your exp?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: My journey to a 780 (Q51/V45 + IR 8) on first try :) [#permalink]
gonatsyay wrote:
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my GMAT test taking experience with you all since I have benefited from looking at posts at this forum.

Background:
I was born outside the U.S. but lived in Europe for a couple of years in elementary school and have gone to high school and college here in the U.S. I have been working for a Big 4 Accounting firm in audit for a year now. I thought I was never a good standard exam take, since I remember struggling studying for SAT. But, I've always been good at math despite that I don't have a degree in math. I am planning to apply to a top tier MBA program in 2-3 years so I wanted to get GMAT out of the way, so I can focus on building my career. Below is how I studied.

Length:
I started studying in early March and took the exam today (6/30/17), so I'd say it's about four months. I didn't study everyday - I took a few days off in a row or apart during this period.

Study:
I bought the Manhattan GMAT prep books (all of them) and went through the books. I only skimmed through the math section, since I was familiar with most of the content. After going through the Manhattan books, I took the GMATPrep exam 1 and scored a 680. I targeted 780 but thought would be happy with anything above a 730. I also bought the Official Guide package including the verbal and quantitative books. I started the OG by splitting each section into 15 sets. I did one set per day (not every day though). I took the Manhattan practice tests every other weekend and scored a 660 and a 700. I went through the PowerScore Critical Reasoning guide and went through the Manhattan Sentence Correction guide thoroughly - taking notes and reviewing the day after. I also looked at the 700-800 level questions found on this forum and solved a few problems from the sections that I thought were my weak points. I also made an error log binder, and manually write all the questions I got wrong. This binder is 2 inch thick now, but I am so excited to throw this away! I wrote the source of the question, difficulty (I guessed), reason why I got it wrong, and the question & analysis. Reviewing this towards the end of my study helped a lot!
Then I took about a couple weeks off and came back to studying. My Manhattan score dropped to a 620. At this point, I finished the OG so moved on to the V and Q books. I split these books into 9 sets and took one set a day. I took my second GMATPrep practice test and scored a 760. I was surprised, but I was happy so I scheduled for my exam for two weeks after (which is today!). I purchased the two exam packs. Three days later, I took my third GMATPrep and scored a 760. A few days later, I took my fourth one and scored a 760. Q50/V41 was the score composition for all three of them. My fifth and sixth GMATPrep scores were a 740 (Q50/V40), so I thought I would get close to a 740 on my real exam.

Test day:
I was nervous during the morning, since my exam was scheduled at 2:45 pm. I ate breakfast, watched some TV shows to relax, and did some yoga. I actually arrived at the testing center an hour early (glad I did, bc the buildings were confusing and I got lost!). Taking the exam, I thought the quantitative section was easier than I thought, but the verbal was brutal. I thought I would get a 720 or 730. When I finished the score I saw was an IR score of 8 and a 780 (Q51/V45). I was surprised because I definitely made some guesses on verbal and panicked after spending too much time on this one critical reasoning question.

I think that my past four months of studying has paid off - I was skeptical towards my performance even during the exam, but I agree that practice does not betray you - it pays you back! I think that through my studying, I developed a sense of how to deal confusing problems.

So, good luck to everyone! I benefited so much from this website, when I googled all the questions I didn't understand, so definitely take advantage! Thanks for reading this! :)

Hello gonatsyay,

Congratulations on a great score that too in your first attempt. I would like to know more on your error log, I more or less follow a similar approach, it would be great if you can through some more light on this.

Hats Off you are truly an inspiration to all of us here.

Regards,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: My journey to a 780 (Q51/V45 + IR 8) on first try :) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts