Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 11:10 It is currently 11 May 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q166 V154
GPA: 3.1
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1428 [0]
Given Kudos: 572
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My MBA Candidacy? [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach

Yes I am planning to apply in R1 2023 for Fall'24 Intake.

Originally posted by manavk145 on 19 Apr 2023, 06:58.
Last edited by manavk145 on 19 Apr 2023, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My MBA Candidacy? [#permalink]
MG4MBACrystalBall

A.
I have an upward trajectory year by year as I was also focused on helping my father in his Travel and Tourism firm for 1.5 years and I also had a lot of responsibilities of Career Development Center and 2 extra curricular clubs at my alma mater. These reasons drove my GPA down.
Year 1- 2.67/4
Year 2- 3.05/4
Year 3- 3.52/4

Also, I have taken these tests for like 4 times and I am almost done with it. I might give a shot maybe 2-3 months later once I have recouped myself.

B. Post MBA, I am not limiting myself just to IB or Consulting. I am open to work in Corporate Finance and Equity Research as well.

D. I am open to MiF programs as well in the Europe. Any suggestions for the same?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: My MBA Candidacy? [#permalink]
manavk145, the upward trending graph helps.

I hear you on the exam fatigue - do your best and see how it goes. If you are done with it, best to focus on other aspects of the application that are still within your control.

Read here on MiF programs. Most of these (with the exception of LBS) are meant for those with 0-2 years of experience and may not be the most ideal.

The post-MBA plan will have to be thought through well depending on the current work you do and skills gained therein.

Hope this helps some more.

Cheers,
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi manavk145,

Your academics seem average and your GRE score matches most of the school's average on the target list.
Every component of an MBA application, starting with GRE preparation essays, CVs, and recommendations, has its own importance. Each of them reflects the candidate's achievements and contributions, hence it needs to be given priority to see the quality in each and every segment of the process.

However, the following tips can help to apply for R1 and make them the best applications.

The first step to start applications – Applicants should do good research on the academic credentials of current students in order to make sure they are in the right way targeting the program.

Listing the achievements and unique qualities – Most of the application depends on these factors. MBA adcoms will be more interested to know the candidate's professional accomplishments, community involvement ad ECs.

Choosing your recommender in advance – Since MBA recommenders are usually busy, it is good to give plenty of time to draft your write-up. In addition to increasing chances for R1, it is best to put together all the pieces at least six months in advance.

Hope you make the best use of the time window to express yourself through the best quality applications.
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
manavk145 wrote:
I wanted to get some feedback on which schools should I aim for with my current profile for Fall'24.

I am an Indian Non-Engineering Male.
My highest test score is GRE 320 (Q166 V154)
My GPA is 3.08/3.00
I have pursued B.Com with Finance Specialization from Ahmedabad University. My institute is not a top tier college in my country.
I have worked for Bank of America as a Senior Analyst in an operations/risk management role for past 3 years and the run on time would be 4 years till Fall'24.
I have also been participating and leading volunteering activities for the CSR activities of my employer.

My target schools in the USA and Canada are as follows:

Canada-Schulich.

USA- Vanderbilt, Mcdonough, Washington Olin, UNC Kenan Flagler, Mendoza, and WP Carey

APAC- NUS and NTU

Europre- ESADE.

Would you guys say I would have a decent chance at any of these schools?

Hi manavk145,

Vanderbilt, McDonough, NUS, UNC Kenan Flagler, Mendoza: These schools are highly competitive and may have strict GPA requirements. Your lower GPA of 3.08/4.00 may be a negative factor to consider, but you can offset this with a better GRE score, your work experience with Bank of America, and volunteering activities, provided you can bring out your achievements and impact in your professional and extracurricular activities. You can also use the essays to address any circumstances that may have influenced your GPA in your essays or recommendations. I saw mention of managing your family business in your subsequent posts. That can be drafted into a unique story to your advantage.

Washington Olin, WP Carey, Schulich and NTU: With a GPA of 3.08/4.00 and a GRE score of 320, you may have a competitive chance at these schools provided your submissions including essays, resume and LORs are top-notch

Europe: Your GRE score of 320 may be competitive for ESADE. However, your GPA of 3.08/4.00 may be below the average, so it's important to highlight your other strengths and achievements in your application. Your work experience is on the lower side for ESADE. European schools in general may not be a great fit for your profile.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
manavk145 wrote:
I wanted to get some feedback on which schools should I aim for with my current profile for Fall'24.

My GPA is 3.08/3.00
I have pursued B.Com with Finance Specialization from Ahmedabad University. My institute is not a top tier college in my country.
I have worked for Bank of America as a Senior Analyst in an operations/risk management role for past 3 years and the run on time would be 4 years till Fall'24.
I have also been participating and leading volunteering activities for the CSR activities of my employer.

Canada-Schulich.

USA- Vanderbilt, Mcdonough, Washington Olin, UNC Kenan Flagler, Mendoza, and WP Carey

APAC- NUS and NTU

Europre- ESADE.

Your GRE is on the lower side, but you have a strong quant score, which should work in your favour.
What are your short and long-term goals? Goals are a critical part of the application process and will also help you pick the right-fit schools.
Is the GPA 3.08/4? It cannot be 3.08/3.
You have picked business schools across the US, Canada, Europe and Asia. We will need to understand the reason for you picking these schools. Although we cannot predict your chances at any business school (acceptances depend on a lot of factors), but prima facie your school selection seems largely realistic. We can also suggest some other schools aligned with your data points and goals.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
manavk145 wrote:

My GPA is 3.08/3.00

Canada-Schulich.

APAC- NUS and NTU

Europre- ESADE.

Hello manavk145,

Thanks for writing in.

Your role at Bank of America, leadership experience during CSR activities, and non-engineering background are the three major strengths of your profile. These will need to be highlighted and presented in an apt manner.

You have not spoken about your career goals; hence it is difficult to really comment on your school selection. Nonetheless, most of the schools you are targetting are sensitive about test score; hence, considering you do not feel up to retaking the test, you will need to revisit some of the schools on your list in light of your existing score and career goals.

Should you wish to discuss your prospects in greater detail, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us for a free profile evaluation. You may send us a message in this regard.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal , TheRedPen , AdmitExpert , GeneralEducation

I would like to provide an update. Currently I hold an offer from a top Canadian school. I have deferred the same to January 2025 from 2024 due to financial constraints. I highly intend to join it but before that, in the meantime, I would like to apply to the dream schools in the USA. I have eliminated EU and SG.

Update on GRE: I am taking it again on 7th August and if it doesn't work out, I would take it again in the shorter format after working on my applications. I am hoping to score a 325 or above as per Mock Data.

Target Schools:
Dream: Darden, Duke, UT Mccombs, Cornell, UNC, and Rotman.
Competitive: Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Simon Rochester, Mendoza, and Olin

Post MBA Career Goals: I would like to start my career in Financial Services industry in core roles such as Asset Management and Investment Banking or Consulting at top consulting firms such as MBB, Big-4, and boutique consulting firms.

I have picked the aforementioned schools because in some or the other way, they support my career goals. For instance, Simon Rochester has a great pipeline for IB in NYC, UNC and Vanderbilt are really good for both Finance and Consulting.

About EC, I have been a fairly active volunteer in CSR Activities at BofA and I have recently been in the core committee of the Toastmasters International. Other than that, I hope that my Commerce background helps me a little as it puts me in a slightly less represented sphere compared to Indian IT Male.

I would like to know your opinion on the strategy being followed and what GRE score would help me set foot in the door so that I don't get rejected just because of the GRE?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheRedPen yes, it is 3.08/4.00
GMAT Club Bot