Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: My salary+bonus is 300k a year. Is that a disadvantage? [#permalink]
metoyou2008 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am an investment consultant working in one of the major banks in North America. I got promoted 4 times in my 5-year career, and my salary+bonus have increased from $37,500 to $300,000. My friend said my income is probably more than 95% of otherMBA applicants, and my high income will be a disadvantage because it is hard to persuade Adcom my income will double after graduating from B-school. I completely understand his comment, so I'd like to know how I can turn this disadvantage to advantage.

Any suggestion is appreciated! Thank you guys!

I don't think that should be the case. Though a B-school may be worried about the placements of its students, it would be convincing to the school adcom if you can make them understand the value addition an MBA can bring to your profile. Moreover B-school never expects to double the salary of its graduating batch ! Few people with good pre mba salaries do join NGOs at low salaries post mba .It's all about the bridging the gap between you and your dreams/goals etc and that' where an mba comes in . However, the only 2 reasons of pursuing an MBA I can think of are that you are looking either for some value addition or for a career switch(industry change). Apart from these reasons I guess it'd be really difficult to convince a B-school :roll:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Top 5 don't care, the rest might. Kellogg and Wharton in particular have **** ROI figures since they accept so many people with high pre-MBA salaries. I think Wharton has the worst ROI despite having the highest or 2nd highest post-MBA salary, due to the fact the average student is making $100k per year pre-MBA (at Yale, the average student is making $56k by comparison).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Not necessarily. If the story stacks up then I don't see why not. For example if one you currently work crazy hours and your aim is to get into corporate finance in F500 companies with better hours then sure it makes sense that you will be willing to sacrifice your current salary for a potentially lower salary post MBA.

What helps your cause is that you clearly must be doing something right at work to be pulling in $300k so you should be able to demonstrate a whole bunch of impressive achievements and examples of leadership.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thank you for all your comments :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
What do you want to do after the MBA? if it's PE/VC or Corp Fin type change you're salary + bonus might not even sink much. If it's a complete industry pivot the MBA would make sense too. I have a wealth of classmates out of CBS who took a negative return the first year to switch industries/enter at ground floors or build a startup (it's never significant for the switch, obviously it is for founders) and if it's PE/VC they may wonder why if you're doing so well you haven't been head-hunted yet. However, as long as the story makes sense, being successful in your job obviously isn't going to hurt you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
4 promotions in 5 years is a clear advantage. The salary is just a reflection of that. The only area where your salary might hurt is in terms of scholarship money. HBS and Stanford only offer need-based aid, so you won't be eligible. But with your salary, that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Booth is 100% merit-based scholarship. Just sayin'...
GMAT Club Bot