Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Need advice to improve my Verbal score (I posted my ESR too) [#permalink]
brightandamen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been preparing GMAT for the last 10 months and my objective is to get 700. I have taken the test for three times, and the last score was 520 (Q47, V20).

The first thing I did was joined the prep course (Pascal Edu in Jakarta) and then I subscribed to GMAT Club, Magoosh and bought OG 2017. The OG, course, and websites helped me to get a grasp in the Quantitative but not in the Verbal section.

As you can see it from my ESR, the Verbal percentile is stuck in 25.

The question is, what should I do to improve the Verbal and maintain my Quantitative score?

Thank you for any help and thoughts. :wave:

Quick background/facts:
- I'm a self-employed, so I have flexible time to study
- Indonesian here (and English is my second language)
- I'm planning to take my 4th test in June/July

PS: I want to thank all GMAT Club members (especially for contributors in GMAT Quantitative section). All questions and answers that posted in this section successfully helped me to improve my Quantitative score. Hats off to you guys and Bunuel! :clap:

You need to improve your SC score. Many people say that this is the easiest V section to improve. You could do this by practice and wrong question analysis. Create an error log and study every single question you get wrong. You'll eventually find out that you begin understanding how GMAC designs its questions. They all follow a simple formula and once you understand how to analyze splits in the answer choices you begin to eliminate wrong choices quicker.

I suggest you practice OG questions but dont time yourself at first. Then as you find yourself improving you can start timing yourself. From the score you provided it seems that you would be better off to schedule your exam later in July. Since you are self employed you can find at least 2 hours to work on the GMAT every day.

Good luck to you. I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
brightandamen wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been preparing GMAT for the last 10 months and my objective is to get 700. I have taken the test for three times, and the last score was 520 (Q47, V20).

The first thing I did was joined the prep course (Pascal Edu in Jakarta) and then I subscribed to GMAT Club, Magoosh and bought OG 2017. The OG, course, and websites helped me to get a grasp in the Quantitative but not in the Verbal section.

The question is, what should I do to improve the Verbal and maintain my Quantitative score?

Quick background/facts:

PS: I want to thank all GMAT Club members (especially for contributors in GMAT Quantitative section). All questions and answers that posted in this section successfully helped me to improve my Quantitative score. Hats off to you guys and Bunuel! :clap:

Join e-Gmat. In few days I have realized the difference in my knowledge base... This is the best course for verbal... I have Compared between all the available courses before joining

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi brightandamen,

Since you've put in some significant study time already - and you've taken the GMAT 3 times - it would help to know a bit more about your overall approach to this process, your scores and your overall goals.

1) How long did you study before each attempt at the GMAT?
2) What were each of your Official Scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Raising a 520 to a 700+ will take some significant work - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
diegocml
You scored a 98% percentile in CR - Would you mind sharing your tips and strategies?
Since my verbal scores fluctuate, I think it's pure luck :crazy:

AjiteshArun & SUPERSARS
Noted! Thanks for the advice guys

Sandipan10
I've read reviews about e-GMAT and most of it are positive feedback on their Verbal Prep. Yes, definitely will signup for free trial. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi brightandamen,

Since you've put in some significant study time already - and you've taken the GMAT 3 times - it would help to know a bit more about your overall approach to this process, your scores and your overall goals.

2) What were each of your Official Scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Raising a 520 to a 700+ will take some significant work - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Rich

Hi Rich EMPOWERgmatRichC,

30-40 days before each test

430 V13 Q28
    490 V40 Q24
    520 V23 Q47

This year

Rotman, CMU, Foster, UNC

Thanks! Looking forward to your reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi brightandamen,

Given the range of your scores and the 'swings' in the percentiles, there are some serious inconsistencies in how you handle the GMAT. While you've certainly made some nice progress in the Quant section, you will still have to score at a much higher level in that section to hit your score goal. In the Verbal section, I think that you're probably reading answer choices over-and-over before picking one that 'sounds good' and then moving on. The Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so there are Tactics that you can use and patterns that you can take advantage of - but you have to train to learn/use all of that knowledge.

Considering all of this information, it will likely take you at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study to get to your goal score. As such, a June or July Test Date would likely be too soon, so you might need to change your timeline a bit. In addition, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a new GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
brightandamen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Quick background/facts:

Hey buddy,

Couple of things from my experience :

1. For you verbal SC and CR, try egmat, it helped me (a non-native with not so great SC and CR grip when I began my prep) and I see no reasons that it cannot help you ..
Register for their free webinar on each of the topic (SC, CR and RC) if you feel good subscribe (its pretty reasonably priced specially for those who does NOT earn in dollars :-D :P :wink: )

2. Try to prepare for 3-4 months in contiuation (15-20 hours a week with 1.5-2 hours a day) ...that should help you a great deal ..

3. Quant : solve all the OG questions (not just OG-17 but also Quant review and OG 12, 13 etc) all questions are available on this forum so I wont suggest to buy all the OGs..
This should help in reaching Q45-47.

Hope this helps ...
Let me know if need any further help !!!

Not forget to hit kudos if it helps :wink:
GMAT Club Bot