GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

New GMAT ESR released!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
New GMAT ESR released!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 12:29
Test takers looking for an analysis of their performance on the GMAT exam have always wanted more granular data from the GMAT Enhanced Score Report. With the latest update to the ESR, the GMAC has taken yet another step towards providing test takers more information to understand what went wrong and what went right on test day.

What has changed?

The GMAT Enhanced Score Report has been updated to include a new “Performance by Fundamental Skills” section. Here is the full list:

Verbal

Critical Reasoning
1. Analysis/Critique
2. Construction/Plan

Reading Comprehension
1. Identify Inferred Idea
2. Identify Stated idea

Sentence Correction
1. Grammar
2. Communication

Quantitative

1. Geometry
2. Rates/Ratio/Percent
3. Value/Order/Factors
4. Equal./Inequal./Alg.
5. Counting/Sets/Series\

Performance is represented by a percentage score and is classified into categories (such as “Above Average”, “Strong”, and “Very Strong”).

The other major change is an increase in price. The ESR used to cost $24.95, but will now set you back $30.

Is this the first update to the ESR?

In quite some time, but not the first ever. Here is what the GMAC said about the previous update.

How are they doing this?

Exactly how the GMAC is going about this process is unclear, and we don’t know if or when they will disclose their methodology. At this point, we can only speculate. Given that each question on the GMAT is created to test some very specific skills, maybe all the GMAC did is take all these skills and put them in very broad categories. For example, if an SC question tests skills X, Y, and Z, maybe they said that X and Y come under “Grammar” and Z comes under “Communication”. 2 out of 3 means that this SC question is one that tests “Grammar”.

Now, it would be truly amazing if the GMAC had each and every option classified. That would allow the ESR to show something like this: if in an SC question in which every other incorrect option tests communication, a test taker marks the one incorrect option that tests grammar, then the ESR shows that mistake under “Grammar” and not “Communication”.

Is this a good thing?

I think so, but it really depends on you. The ESR has been getting better over time and now includes some very useful information. It still does not approach the level of detail that practically all good non-official tests include, but then it is really hard to pry anything but very broad conclusions out of what is a pretty small set of questions.

Should I buy the new ESR?

You might not need to! If you have already purchased the ESR, you can request a new link, and you will be able to access the new ESR. If you were thinking about getting the ESR, the new information this update adds can only help. If you weren’t looking to get the ESR before this update, there is nothing so particularly compelling here that you need to change your mind.

From the original post here.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Jul 2018, 19:13
Top Contributor
Any new information on the ESRs is welcome information, but I'm not too impressed. These new categories are rather broad/open to interpretation (and are based on a very small sample size of questions), so I'm not sure how much we can learn from them without being able to review the actual questions themselves.

I have also noticed that the new ESRs have not yet been updated to reflect the new 2018 GMAT percentiles.

That being said, I like the new purple color!

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 11 Jul 2018, 16:51.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 11 Jul 2018, 19:13, edited 3 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: New GMAT ESR released!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 17:24
I don't get what the "construction/plan" in CR and "communication" in SC is referring to... anyone have a clue?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 18:25
I had bought an ESR in June, so they emailed me the link to the updated version free of cost.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 19:36
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Any new information on the ESRs is welcome information, but I'm not too impressed. These new categories are rather broad/open to interpretation (and are based on a very small sample size of questions), so I'm not sure how much we can learn from them without being able to review the actual questions themselves.

I have also noticed that the new ESRs have not yet been updated to reflect the new 2018 GMAT percentiles.

That being said, I like the new purple color!
Thank you for adding screenshots :-)

adogatemyhmw wrote:
I don't get what the "construction/plan" in CR and "communication" in SC is referring to... anyone have a clue?
Construction/plan matches up with what is used in the OG (for example, one of the categories in the OG is "Argument Construction"). As for "Communication", I think they put meaning and style under that (what the sentence is saying and how it is saying it).

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 20:21
Top Contributor
If enough users post screenshots of these new ESR sections, then we can most likely infer the precise number of counted questions of each type on Verbal, using the "denominator method!"

My best guess is 15 PS, 13 DS, 12 CR, 10 SC, and 8 CR. I will crunch the numbers and get back to you with more definitive results.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching worldwide since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 12:12
This looks pretty interesting, would love to see some feedback and thoughts from people who made use of this to improve their score the second go around.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.55

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 08:04
mcelroytutoring wrote:
If enough users post screenshots of these new ESR sections, then we can most likely infer the precise number of counted questions of each type on Verbal, using the "denominator method!"

My best guess is 15 PS, 13 DS, 12 CR, 10 SC, and 8 CR. I will crunch the numbers and get back to you with more definitive results.

-Brian

Dear Brian! Any update on the countable question-split? Waiting for your update.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 18:52
Hi!

Could you please explain which kind of questions are Identify Stated idea - RC questions?

Thanks!
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 19:51
Top Contributor
Mayor wrote:
Dear Brian! Any update on the countable question-split? Waiting for your update.

Thanks in advance!

No updates yet, my friend. Stay tuned. :sleep:

-Brian

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 21:57
Farimana wrote:
Hi!

Could you please explain which kind of questions are Identify Stated idea - RC questions?

Thanks!
These questions ask you to identify content that is explicitly stated in the passage. This could be facts, ideas, or arguments stated in the passage. Off the top of my head, here are some broad indicators (be careful here, as these are not absolute):

1. According to the passage, which of the following...
2. The passage mentions which of the following as...

Such questions will typically avoid words like inferred and suggests.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: New GMAT ESR released! &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 21:57

New GMAT ESR released!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap