Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:38 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records [#permalink]
tonebeeze wrote:
In this SC problem, I am having a hard time understanding the rule regarding selecting "have made it" in answer choice (C) over "makes it" in answer choice (B). Doesn't the subject "techniques" require "makes"?

Thanks for any advice you all can provide me.

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.

a. makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before

b. make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before

c. have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

d. make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before

e. has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas , have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

With (C) for the errors highlighted above...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records [#permalink]
Well ,I am still not convinced by the OA, and confused between B and C.
Yes, I agree that have does appear nice.
BUT as per my knowledge in GMAT it is preferred to use Simple tense as much as possible unless the sentence is not grammatically wrong AND perfect tenses are generally not used.
Can anybody please correct me..??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh wrote:
suramya26

Quote:
BUT as per my knowledge in GMAT it is preferred to use Simple tense as much as possible unless the sentence is not grammatically wrong AND perfect tenses are generally not used.

I am afraid you are wrong to very great extent. If you go with such notions into the exam, you will end up only getting the short end of the stick.
There are three simple tenses in grammar. i.e. a simple past, a simple present, and a simple future. It is not clear which one you are referring to.
The right perspective is that one should use the correct tense as the context demands. I do not think there is any preference, said either explicitly or implicitly by GMAT in the choice of the tense.
It must also be noted that most of the higher level questions involve the use of past and present perfect tenses or the use of the third conditionals in GMAT

Thanks a lot sir,
Sir , the tell me whether my reasoning is wrong??
The reason for which C is the correct answer is because the option stresses on the effect of new technologies
And this the effect is still IN THE PRESENT
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Suramya

Hi

Don’t you feel that there is no difference between B and C as far as new techniques are concerned? C is better because of the superior word order; in B, the placement of ‘than ever before’ after the river is changing the meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.

(A) makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before
SV error : Techniques(plural) makes (singular) : incorrect
(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before

modification error (2 way looking modifier) 'in greater details'
1. Study in grater details
2. effects in greater details

(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
Correct
(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
comparison error ;

(E) has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
same as A : Incorrect

Experts pls comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Please shed some light on this question.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 615
Send PM
lgon wrote:

(A) makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before
(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
(E) has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

daagh
Can you evaluate my reasoning to eliminate B
"in greater detail" is separated by comma on both the side, making it a non essential modifier
That means sentence should work without it . If we remove "in greater detail", then the sentence becomes
make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
we have "than" in the sentence for which there will be no comparison element . Hence choice will be incorrect
Please let me know

Thanks in Advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Priyanka

I think it is a modifier problem in B." Than ever before" modifies 'in greater detail' but in B, they are placed far apart. Perse, 'than ever before' in B seems to describe the warming of a river.

For example, if we say that Tom's score is higher than before, we need not amplify that his previous scores were lower than the score now, as this comparison is easily understood.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
the pronoun "it" is being used "before" the antecedent (to study) ? is this correct in option C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
Bro have a few doubt in this question,

1. In option A and B, what is "it" referring to? Is it mandatory

Option A : Option to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail
Option C : made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction,

Study is of calefaction, so shouldn't the modifier be together and hence elimiante C?

3. Option B
possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

Analysis of option B :
a) in greater detail is between two commas making it non-essential, however it seems to be important to convey the meaning of the passage, on this basis can I eliminate B?
b) Similarly will it apply to " , or warming , "

Option C : How is the usage of "have made" correct? New technique means recently discovered and we use past perfect when saying something started in the past but continues in the present.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hey, could you please clarify why 'it' is correct in C? Would be great if you provide me with some approach how to assess if 'it' is correct in these type of sentences.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
Piotrek wrote:
Hey, could you please clarify why 'it' is correct in C? Would be great if you provide me with some approach how to assess if 'it' is correct in these type of sentences.

It is a placeholder 'it' here.

It is possible to study 18 hrs a day.
It is possible that he complained to the manager.

'It' is a placeholder subject.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Piotrek wrote:
Would be great if you provide me with some approach how to assess if 'it' is correct in these type of sentences.

Sure, you substitute "it" with "?" (What).

So, the question you would ask is:

...have made ? possible...

Answer: to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river.

So, the above phrase (to study...a river) is the intended antecedent of "it".

The catch here is that this antecedent is used after the pronoun. However, this is quite acceptable.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this specific usage of "it". Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

It_before_antecedent_v5.pdf [13.61 KiB]
Downloaded 59 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 610 Q40 V35
Send PM
Hi ExpertsGlobal5 chetan2u,

I am still unclear on the usage of "it" in this question. I believe that "it" is used here as a placeholder and does not necessarily have an antecedent.

Please can you let me know if my understanding is correct?

Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records [#permalink]

Option Elimination -

(A) makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before - SV issue.

(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before - It is not a perpetual phenomenon, so "have made" is preferred. Moreover, "than ever before" should be placed next to what "than ever before" modifies. "River"? No. "greater detail than ever before."

(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river - ok

(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before - One issue is that the focus in option C is on the effects, but in option D, the focus has shifted to the study itself. Moreover, "than it was ever before" is redundant. The sentence before this phrase, "makes possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail," already, in a way, says that we are studying in greater detail. "it" refers to "the new techniques have made the study of the effects possible" which itself is wrong as a pronoun "it" can't refer to a clause or is it a placeholder? Ambiguous.

(E) has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river - SV issue.
GMAT Club Bot
New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts