Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Got dinged yesterday morning...not sure what to do now.

I am going to reapply for spring 2009.

Since reapplicant only needs one recommendation, does it have to be from a current supervisior? Since I already asked my current supervisor for the Fall, can i ask someone else?

Does admission committee look at my fall application along with my spring 2009?

Any insights on reapplying will be great

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
mandytsai wrote:

Since reapplicant only needs one recommendation, does it have to be from a current supervisior? Since I already asked my current supervisor for the Fall, can i ask someone else?

Thanks

mandytsai,

Sorry to hear. If you really want it, keep at it and I'm sure it will payoff. Good luck for the spring.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mandytsai, sorry to hear that but it seems Spring would be easier.

Do you mind sharing your info such as GMAT score, etc.

I heard as long as your GMAT is above 700, Langone would beg you to be its ATM Machine... : )

mandytsai wrote:

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My profile is
I am a 26 yr old Chinese male who am applying to the Fall 2008 program. I was born in US and then lived to HK for 8 years and then moved back to the US for High school and undergrad.

Ivy undergrad (Finance and Hospitality mgmt) (GPA 3.8)
GMAT: 610 ( 48Q, 27V) Yeah low verbal. This is the second time I took it. First time I got a 570.
5 Years of work experience ( FX Sales and Trading)
-2 year sales and trading analyst program at a top tier bank
-Promoted to Associate and trained with the MBA hires
-Took on an Associate Director positon at another international bank.

I am pretty involved in the community(local HS afterschool programs, mentoring programs, etc). I am involved in a lot of non-profit organizations in metro NY.

my ultimate goal is to take over my father's hotel furniture business and expand it globally. I have put in place a plan since I was a senior in HS. I first applied to a industry specific undergrad program, then took on an analyst positon at a fortune 100 company to gain foreign exchange and interest rate knowledge, then decided to go to a more globalized firm to learn more about international business and hoping to transfer to another country for a year or two. Lastly, leverage my experience and help build my father's business.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mandytsai wrote:
My profile is
I am a 26 yr old Chinese male who am applying to the Fall 2008 program. I was born in US and then lived to HK for 8 years and then moved back to the US for High school and undergrad.

GMAT: 610 ( 48Q, 27V) Yeah low verbal. This is the second time I took it. First time I got a 570.

I am pretty involved in the community(local HS afterschool programs, mentoring programs, etc). I am involved in a lot of non-profit organizations in metro NY.

my ultimate goal is to take over my father's hotel furniture business and expand it globally. I have put in place a plan since I was a senior in HS. I first applied to a industry specific undergrad program, then took on an analyst positon at a fortune 100 company to gain foreign exchange and interest rate knowledge, then decided to go to a more globalized firm to learn more about international business and hoping to transfer to another country for a year or two. Lastly, leverage my experience and help build my father's business.

Wow. I'm going to guess that it's your gmat score; and that's it. Your profile looks pretty damn strong. Just pull that gmat up to 700+ and you're a shoe-in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Whylangone: Here's your first post on this thread:

Quote:
Sorry if I offend anyone but I really wanted to know why you all are so anxious/excited about getting into NYU Langone, a program that won't give you any valuable assistance from their career services and treats the Langone students as their ATM machines and second-class citizens?

Then after a long detailed response from many of us about why your perception of Langone students is flawed, you post this gem:

Quote:
I heard as long as your GMAT is above 700, Langone would beg you to be its ATM Machine... : )

Seriously, what are doing on this thread and how was the response you received from all of us unclear?? ATM machines? Please.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
CFACharterholder22,

I think the best course of action is to just ignore him and stay positive. If he continues, I will take action. There really is no point in giving attention to his negativity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
CFACharterholder22,

I think the best course of action is to just ignore him and stay positive. If he continues, I will take action. There really is no point in giving attention to his negativity.

I just tried to give comfort to those who got dinged by Langone and those who are so anxious while waiting. My point was there are other good programs (or even much better) besides Langone so no need to be upset if they didn't let you in. Just more forward.

For those who got the tickets, congrats! And I didn't think they would be too upset by my "ATM Machine" wording (my apologies here) as I guessed before you applied, you knew the bad things about Langone, as well as its good things. So you were determined no matter what I said.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
While no question an impressive profile, I am not sure the GMAT score was the only thing that could have been a red flag in adcom's eyes. Mandytsai mentions a plan had been in place since HS to take over his fathers business and expand it globally, but his experience has been in Sales and Trading. While sales and trading is very competitive, my initial thought was that corporate strategy or even consulting would have been more relevant experience. Just raising an argument here, but I think being able to clearly illustrate your career goals, progression, and how an MBA will benefit you is very important.

Originally posted by FingerscrossedNYU on 23 Jul 2008, 07:46.
Last edited by FingerscrossedNYU on 23 Jul 2008, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CFACharterholder22 wrote:
Then after a long detailed response from many of us about why your perception of Langone students is flawed, you post this gem:

Quote:

Seriously, what are doing on this thread and how was the response you received from all of us unclear?? ATM machines? Please.

I still have the perception about Langone, not the "Langone students". Langone is notorious for its career services, which is a truth, not a perception.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Whylangone wrote:

Quote:

I still have the perception about Langone, not the "Langone students". Langone is notorious for its career services, which is a truth, not a perception.

That's fine, but be respectful in the manner in which you present your opinions.

Now enough with the "how to behave on these forums;" let's stay on topic.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think it is a fine argument. At least, let the program have pressure in their services will do better for the students enrolled which is all we hope.

Whylangone wrote:

Quote:

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FingerscrossedNYU wrote:
While no question an impressive profile, I am not sure the GMAT score was the only thing that could have been a red flag in adcom's eyes. Mandytsai mentions a plan had been in place since HS to take over her fathers business and expand it globally, but her experience has been in Sales and Trading. While sales and trading is very competitive, my initial thought was that corporate strategy or even consulting would have been more relevant experience. Just raising an argument here, but I think being able to clearly illustrate your career goals, progression, and how an MBA will benefit you is very important.

Your experiences do not have to be in line with what you want to do post MBA. In fact, most people go to bschool to "reinvent" themselves. Adcoms look at your work experience as a barometer of how you would handle new challenges, not so much as how relevant it is to your career goals. That is probably more for future employers, which would be his father (et al).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I do largely agree with what you said. I was merely pointing out a possible inconsitency in his "story". Everyone comes from different backgrounds and looking to get different things out of the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
mandytsai wrote:
My profile is

Awesome and interesting profile. If I were to guess, that low verbal is the main reason for your bad news. With such a split, adcom may see you as too quant focused. Being Asian and male doesn’t help you either. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with being Asian and good at math, but there’s a lot of guys like that applying for top MBA’s. You’re in direct competition with them. A 610 gmat works if you're a publicist from Europe or a Non-profit from the US, but not if your an Asian male (Unless you have something else that’s truly amazing in your profile).

However, with a quant score like yours, you certainly have the mental horsepower for a great GMAT score. If you get that verbal to the mid 30’s, you should have a great shot.

A word of good news, NYU tends to give notifications fastest to reapplicant who have made a substantial improvement in their app. If you apply before the Sept. 15th deadline, it would not be unheard of for you to hear back by early October.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Whylangone wrote:

Quote:

Interestingly, it's actually the Langone students that seem to be at fault. In the WSJ article, they seem to indicate that, even though NYU has created a channel for the part timers to get interviews, they rarely land jobs.

IMO, if you want to break into IB or Consulting, full time is the way to go. These firms want younger, freshly minted MBAs who can work slavish hours and dedicate their lives to their jobs. The part timer usually doesn’t fit this profile.

The true value in a part time MBA is in opening the door to better, more senior, jobs within your current field.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got accepted and can't believe it. I've been following this thread and didn't think I had a shot with the profile's I've seen. For those of you waiting with less than perfect profiles, take solace in the fact I got in with the below:

Reapplicant
28- WM
650 GMAT (took it twice, first 580)
2.9 GPA from a state school in Finance (ranked in the lower 500's)
6 year Work experience (5 in Mortgage Sales, 1 in Financial Services- non manager)

Good luck to those that haven't heard and I look forward to meeting those that are in.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  60