Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [8]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [6]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: One of the first attempts to peer into the living human brain was carr [#permalink]
Kudos
1. A good title for this passage would be

A. The Life and Work of Neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield. -.> Wrong, Passage is only mentioned Wilder neurosurgery , nothing about his life
B. The Physical Organization of Memory in the Human Brain.-> nothing about physical organization. Wrong.
C. The Cognitive Functions of the Temporal Lobes.-> correct
Explanation
Para 1 “…stimulating different points on the lower parts of the brain (the temporal lobes), he elicited distinct and vivid memories in his patients..”
Para 2 “…Although it is true that the temporal lobes play a critical role in memory processes, evidence from brain imaging studies strongly…”

D. Historical Progress in the Search for an Epilepsy Cure. Out of scope-Wrong
E. Where Are Childhood Memories Located in the Brain? Out of scope-Wrong

2. Which of the following is mentioned in Paragraph 2 with regard to the neural systems of memory?

A. A specific brain structure cannot be involved in more than one aspect of memory.
B. The same neural system is primarily involved in both emotional memory and semantic memory.
C. The lower parts of the brain play a critical role in memory processes.-> correct
Explanation
Para2. “… the temporal lobes play a critical role in memory processes, evidence from brain imaging studies strongly indicates that memory is divided among a range of distinct but interacting neural systems, each contributing to a unique feature of memory…..”

D. There is a specific brain region that stores the memory of last nights dinner.
E. Epilepsy will affect the storage and retrieval of memories.

3. When the author talks about a “unitary superstructure,” (Highlighted) he is referring to CD the brain as a whole

A. the brain as a whole
B. a theory of memory organization preferred by most scientists.
C. the cortex of the brain.
D. a specific brain region in which all memories are stored-> correct
Explanation. “… mistakenly conclude from Penfields experiment that particular memories are stored in specific sites in the brain such that the memory of ones grandmother is stored in one area and the memory of what one had for dinner is stored in another. While this description is imprecise, the alternative theory, that memory is stored in a unitary superstructure, is also inaccurate
E. the sum of all memory processes, such as encoding, retrieval, and consolidation

4. All of the following are mentioned in Paragraph 1 as part of the surgical procedure Penfield performed on his patients EXCEPT

A. Penfield stimulated different points in his patients' temporal lobes.
B. Penfield's epileptic patients were not totally anesthetized during the surgery.
C. The patients' brains were given small electric shocks during surgery.
D. Penfield removed the pieces of tissue responsible for inducing seizures in his patients.
E. The patients' skulls were wide open throughout the surgery.-> correct. in the passage not mentioned that skull is wide open.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [2]
Send PM
Re: One of the first attempts to peer into the living human brain was carr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
OAs of this RC are posted now, if anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. B
2. C
3. D
4. D

Explanation here by abcdddddd are 4/4 and by SSandy066 is at par. abcdddddd well done.

Good Luck.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
One of the first attempts to peer into the living human brain was carr [#permalink]
Kudos
Linhtang wrote:
Hi @SajjiadAhmad, I dont totally agree with the explaination of question 4. The passage clearly states that "A induced a mild electric current into their brains in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue", and choice D of Q4 states that "Penfield removed the pieces of tissue responsible for inducing seizures in his patients". I mean we dont need to know whether Penfield succeeded in removing the tissue or not, we just need to know that he did remove the tisse. And it is clearly ans D.
While in E, the passage does not state Penfield opened the skulls widely or not, jut open the skulls.
Please point out my misunderstanding for this question. Thank you.

Hi Linhtang,

Let me know if this helps.

"Penfield opened the skulls of conscious epileptic patients under local anesthesia, and A induced a mild electric current into their brains in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue".

Option E is clearly mentioned in the passage, that Penfield opened the skulls of the patients, whereas, on a careful reading we see that option D is mentioned as: Penfield induced a mild electric current in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure and remove that piece of tissue. Attempt doesn't necessarily mean he did it, it simply means, he was aiming to do it. Since it cannot be inferred with certainty, we cannot say that Penfield removed the affected tissue.

Thanks.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [2]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Kudos
Gowtham91 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:
Hi @SajjiadAhmad, I dont totally agree with the explaination of question 4. The passage clearly states that "A induced a mild electric current into their brains in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue", and choice D of Q4 states that "Penfield removed the pieces of tissue responsible for inducing seizures in his patients". I mean we dont need to know whether Penfield succeeded in removing the tissue or not, we just need to know that he did remove the tisse. And it is clearly ans D.
While in E, the passage does not state Penfield opened the skulls widely or not, jut open the skulls.

Hi Linhtang,

"Penfield opened the skulls of conscious epileptic patients under local anesthesia, and A induced a mild electric current into their brains in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue".

Option E is clearly mentioned in the passage, that Penfield opened the skulls of the patients, whereas, on a careful reading we see that option D is mentioned as: Penfield induced a mild electric current in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure and remove that piece of tissue. Attempt doesn't necessarily mean he did it, it simply means, he was aiming to do it. Since it cannot be inferred with certainty, we cannot say that Penfield removed the affected tissue.

Thanks.

Agree with your explanation for option D. But on the similar lines where is it mentioned that the skulls are WIDE open THROUGHOUT the surgery (option E). It is neither explicitly mentioned nor we can infer from the passage. OPENED as mentioned in passage cannot be taken for WIDE open, and also MAY not have been open throughout the surgery (can't infer or mentioned)

Thanks.

I fell for the same trap! However, looking back I guess I misread the part - "an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue."
I read it in a way , say we have only 3 tissues in the brain available A,B and C. I now stimulate the the temporal lobe and think that B is the source of the problem. I remove B anyways.

For me, the 'attempt to pinpoint' and 'actually removing' are joined by the conjunction 'and' and are two independent actions. So as far as I am concerned whether "my attempt" to pinpoint went wrong, (selected B instead of A), I still go forward and remove B.

Of course my patient is not very happy that I removed the wrong tissue, but I am not going to confess that!! :lol:

what do you think bm2201 Gowtham91
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
1) C because the passage has mainly said about how memories in brain functions.

2) C because it is mentioned in the passage. And A is not correct because in the passage it has been mentioned that their are distinct ranges of neural systems and they keep on interacting and sharing the information and modulating.

3) D because in second para it is said that the unitary superstructure is the alternative theory of lines proposed above in the passage.

4) E because it was not mentioned in the passage

Posted from my mobile device
Oxford Saïd School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 409
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q48 V26
Send PM
Kudos
My answers:
1. (B)
2. (A)
3. (D)
4. (E)
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
OAs of this RC are posted now, if anyone have any question kindly let me know.

1. B
2. C
3. D
4. D

Explanation here by abcdddddd are 4/4 and by SSandy066 is at par. abcdddddd well done.

Good Luck.

Can you post OE for 4th question.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gautam12121991 wrote:

Can you post OE for 4th question.

Official Explanation

4. All of the following are mentioned in Paragraph 1 as part of the surgical procedure Penfield performed on his patients EXCEPT

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The passage tells us that "by stimulating different points on the lower parts of the brain (the temporal lobes) (Penfield) elicited distinct and vivid memories in his patients." That's what is described in (A), so we can rule it out.

We're also told that patients were given local, not total, anesthesia, confirming choice (B).

And we know that Penfield used a mild electric current on his patients' brains, (C).

What about (D)? We know that Penfield's operations were "an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue." But the passage never tells us whether he succeeded in achieving this goal. So (D) is the answer.

As for (E), we're told in the second sentence that this was the case.

Answer: D

Hope it helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Kudos
Send PM
Kudos
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:

Hi Linhtang,

Thanks.

Agree with your explanation for option D. But on the similar lines where is it mentioned that the skulls are WIDE open THROUGHOUT the surgery (option E). It is neither explicitly mentioned nor we can infer from the passage. OPENED as mentioned in passage cannot be taken for WIDE open, and also MAY not have been open throughout the surgery (can't infer or mentioned)

Thanks.
Send PM
Kudos
AnirudhaS wrote:
Gowtham91 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:

Hi Linhtang,

Thanks.

Thanks.

I fell for the same trap! However, looking back I guess I misread the part - "an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue."
I read it in a way , say we have only 3 tissues in the brain available A,B and C. I now stimulate the the temporal lobe and think that B is the source of the problem. I remove B anyways.

For me, the 'attempt to pinpoint' and 'actually removing' are joined by the conjunction 'and' and are two independent actions. So as far as I am concerned whether "my attempt" to pinpoint went wrong, (selected B instead of A), I still go forward and remove B.

Of course my patient is not very happy that I removed the wrong tissue, but I am not going to confess that!! :lol:

Hi AnirudhaS,

Both you and bm2201 are right in explaining option D and I am in agreement. I am not able to understand how option E is inferrable. IMO both option D & option E are not mentioned in the passage. Let me know if I am missing anything from the passage.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [1]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Kudos
Gowtham91 wrote:
AnirudhaS wrote:
Gowtham91 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:

Hi Linhtang,

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi AnirudhaS,

Both you and bm2201 are right in explaining option D and I am in agreement. I am not able to understand how option E is inferrable. IMO both option D & option E are not mentioned in the passage. Let me know if I am missing anything from the passage.

Agreed, i saw the word WIDE and my impulsive reaction was out of scope --> OUT, and did not think twice about it why. I would not spend a lot of time into this, this is after all non-OG passage. With passages from 'other' sources, all I am interested is to increase my reading and comprehending skills, plus if I can quickly get to the last 2 choices. Also I firmly believe that in the real GMAT luck plays a significant role in your verbal scores, so as long as you are getting down to the last 2 choices, you have a 50% chance of scoring big!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
One of the first attempts to peer into the living human brain was carr [#permalink]
Kudos
AnirudhaS wrote:
Gowtham91 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:

Hi Linhtang,

Thanks.

Thanks.

AnirudhaS, Totally agree with you :lol: :lol: . Even I feel option E is more logical and if thought practically, makes more sense. Just an attempt to pinpoint the tissue, doesn't necessarily mean, its "actually" removed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Kudos
bm2201 wrote:
Linhtang wrote:

Hi Linhtang,

Thanks.

Hi bm2201, thank you for your response. I have got why D is wrong now, but not totally satisfied with the OA. Anw, I think AnirudhaS is right in thinking that after all this passage is from non-OG source, and I should use it to practice, not spend too much time into this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Kindly provide official explanation -Question-1
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SSandy066 wrote:
Kindly provide official explanation -Question-1

Official Explanation

1. A good title for this passage would be

Difficulty Level: 550

Explanation

A question about a title is a global question, and it needs a global answer.

(A) wrongly focuses on Penfield, who only comes into Paragraph 1.

(C) is out of scope: we're focused on memory, not the general question of the temporal lobes and their cognitive functions.

(D) and (E) are also out of scope, with each referring to a single detail in the passage.

(B) is correct.

Hope it helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Send PM
A small doubt regarding OE for Q4.
The passage states : " ...their brains in an attempt to pinpoint the source of seizure activity and then remove that piece of tissue. What he found was even more remarkable than.."

My doubt : Agree that there is nothing give regarding the removal of tissue. But the line "what he found was" seems like an implicit explanation that he did actually carry out the activity. Using elimination, D was left, but I couldn't understand why.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts