Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
BStand wrote:
thelagtag wrote:
Wow... this is a really heated discussion... I think everyone needs to calm down. Some people got invites and others didn't... A lot of this is luck of the draw regarding who read your application, and how they related to you... everyone needs to relax and move on...

Good luck to everyone who is interviewing, and better luck next time to those who aren't. We have all felt our share of rejection regardless of our backgrounds, and remember, no one here rejected anyone else... if you have an issue with the adcom practices, you shouldn't take it out on your fellow bloggers.

Cheers!

PS: I noticed something like 45% on this forum got interviews... that seems high from their general statistics... Looks like competition is going to be really stiff this year!

Just to clarify -- the 45% interview rate on this forum is almost exactly in-line with past practices. I believe the Booth adcoms typically reference an invite rate of 40%-50%.

Good to hear... seems like most schools have a ~50% acceptance rate for those who ARE interviewed...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
dsg wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
When Booth pairs an applicant to an alum for the interview, does the school also inform the alum that someone will be contacting him/her for the interview?

I'm not sure how much 'background' information should I have in my email to my alum. If the alum is already expecting my email, I can shoot off a very succinct mail. Else, I'll have to write a story...

Anyone knows???

I'm not sure if the interviewer knows whether they're matched up with an interviewee. I sent a very quick note mentioning that I was asked to contact the interviewer and asking when they're available to meet.

This is why I'm going to Chicago for my interview... Got to visit the campus at some point anyway...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
thelagtag wrote:
dsg wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
When Booth pairs an applicant to an alum for the interview, does the school also inform the alum that someone will be contacting him/her for the interview?

I'm not sure how much 'background' information should I have in my email to my alum. If the alum is already expecting my email, I can shoot off a very succinct mail. Else, I'll have to write a story...

Anyone knows???

I'm not sure if the interviewer knows whether they're matched up with an interviewee. I sent a very quick note mentioning that I was asked to contact the interviewer and asking when they're available to meet.

This is why I'm going to Chicago for my interview... Got to visit the campus at some point anyway...

Good luck lagtag. When are you going to be on campus?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:

Anyone knows???

Keep it short. No bios. Say you were paired with him and you'd like to set up a time that's mutually convenient. That's it.

Good luck to everyone on your interviews. I'll be on campus tomorrow helping out in case you're interviewing and want to chat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
kannyg wrote:
goodbyeboy wrote:
@cheetarah1980

Also, I am not sure why you don't think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

Based on my insider knowledge about AdComs :-D , schools absolutely have to "bucket" applicants. There is simply no other way to shape the profile of the class.
If you're in the bucket of Indian Male Engineers with average stats, you'd better have saved people from a building on fire or spent 2 years fighting AIDS in Africa to have a chance of getting into a top 10 school. :lol:

LOL...that was a huge typo. Sorry, that's exactly what I meant. I double checked my original post and was like, well what I wrote doesn't make sense - my beginning sentence and the paragraph doesn't match! :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
goodbyeboy wrote:
@cheetarah1980

Also, I am not sure why you think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

The reason why I don't think schools "bucket" applicants the way WE think they do is because I've attended mock admissions committee reviews of actual apps at Wharton, Kellogg, Stern, etc. and the adcoms at all of these schools said that they do not bucket applicants because it's impossible to do so. Do you bucket by gender? Do you bucket by professional background? Do you bucket by post MBA career goals? People fall into too many different buckets to determine which one to put them in.

Now that doesn't mean that they don't evaluate people in comparison to the overall pool and what's needed for the diversity of the class. I'm just saying it's not a simple categorization and one of the adcoms at Wharton even said that they don't put two consultants' apps together and compare them head to head.

Obviously there's some time of system/process they use to say, "Okay we've got too many of this 'type'," but it's impossible to know exactly what type the adcom will put you in because we all fall across so many. That's why I say schools don't definitively bucket people (at least not the ones I've visited).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, finished my interview on-campus yesterday. The interview was done by an alumnus.

The questions were (not in the same order)
-What are your goals?
-Walk me through your resume
-Tell me about your community service
-Why MBA?
-Why now?
-How would your colleagues describe you?
-Why that industry post-MBA?

One of the current students said that he received a call from adcom when he was admitted. Is this the case for every admitted applicant? I understand that the official notification date is Dec 14th. Does anyone know if they start notifying admitted applicants earlier than that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Hi guys!

I've seen an interview question that I've not clear: "tell me about yourself".

Would it be the same than "walk me through resume"?

Thank you all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Etreus wrote:
Hi guys!

I've seen an interview question that I've not clear: "tell me about yourself".

Would it be the same than "walk me through resume"?

Thank you all!

More or less the same. Maybe the latter suggests you to introduce more about what included on your resume, say more related to your career.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
srinathreddy wrote:
Hi all, finished my interview on-campus yesterday. The interview was done by an alumnus.

The questions were (not in the same order)
-What are your goals?
-Walk me through your resume
-Tell me about your community service
-Why MBA?
-Why now?
-How would your colleagues describe you?
-Why that industry post-MBA?

One of the current students said that he received a call from adcom when he was admitted. Is this the case for every admitted applicant? I understand that the official notification date is Dec 14th. Does anyone know if they start notifying admitted applicants earlier than that?

Thanks for the heads up. The interview questions sound fairly generic. Did the alum focus on Why Booth? or what you want to get involved in at Booth?

Good luck with the final decision!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
He seemed to be more curious about what I would like to contribute to Booth community than why Booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
srinathreddy wrote:
He seemed to be more curious about what I would like to contribute to Booth community than why Booth.

The two interview reports on Clear Admit both have this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
To current Booth student(s):

Does Booth call admitted candidates prior to the decision deadline? If so, how many days in advance?

Thanks,
Sony Remote
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi SonyRemote, do you have the same problem of having recevied an invite from Booth and not from Ross? I am in the same boat and wonder what's going on with Ross. At least for interviews, Ross is not known to be as selective as Booth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Everyone,

I did my interview with a Booth alumni at a coffee shop in Boston last night. The interview was about an hour in length. The questions were:

Walk me through your resume.
Why do you want an MBA?
What are your goals?
Why Booth?
Tell me about a time you had to give difficult feedback to someone working for you.
Tell me about a time someone gave you constructive criticism/feedback. What did you learn?
What is your leadership style?
What classes do you plan on taking at Booth?
What cities do you plan on living in, in the future?
What is your favorite super hero? Why?
What is a powerful childhood memory? Why?
What is your favorite toy? Why?

The interview was pretty intense and we covered a lot of ground. It started out with questions I knew to expect from reading previous accounts, but then he started throwing me some real curve balls. I think it went really well though. He started off pretty serious and wasn't giving much away with his expression or body language, but by the end he was smiling and laughing. He said he thought I would make a great student-teacher for the LEAD program, so I hope that's a good sign. In addition to all the questions he spent a lot of time telling me stories about Booth and comparing it to other programs. He had a lot of good advice that I really appreciated. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for good news on Dec 14th!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
spacecurves wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I did my interview with a Booth alumni at a coffee shop in Boston last night. The interview was about an hour in length. The questions were:

Why do you want an MBA?
What are your goals?
Why Booth?
Tell me about a time you had to give difficult feedback to someone working for you.
Tell me about a time someone gave you constructive criticism/feedback. What did you learn?

The interview was pretty intense and we covered a lot of ground. It started out with questions I knew to expect from reading previous accounts, but then he started throwing me some real curve balls. I think it went really well though. He started off pretty serious and wasn't giving much away with his expression or body language, but by the end he was smiling and laughing. He said he thought I would make a great student-teacher for the LEAD program, so I hope that's a good sign. In addition to all the questions he spent a lot of time telling me stories about Booth and comparing it to other programs. He had a lot of good advice that I really appreciated. Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for good news on Dec 14th!

I have mine in Boston this week. Those are some definite odd ball questions towards the end.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
spacecurves wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Why do you want an MBA?
What are your goals?
Why Booth?

kudos! thanks for sharing!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts