Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 09:19 It is currently 03 May 2024, 09:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink]
combobreaker wrote:
It's great that you have joined us here. I didn't take the GMAT either but this is the only place I found that everyone is in the same boat, waiting to hear from the program. It is nice to have that small bit of support.

I did notice that you are quite young for a B-School applicant. I have an outlying stat myself, my UG GPA was 2.9, and wonder how you addressed this in your application. Did you acknowledge you age (job experience) or did you just leave it alone? For my GPA I did not try to justify it, but instead acknowledged it and discussed how I have shown my ability for an academically rigorous program with other accomplishments (such as my high graduate school GPA).

I’d say the ability to give a more holistic view of myself was the reason I applied through the MBA program. The Engineering school would have taken a look at that GPA and pushed me into the trash can. That could still happen with the MBA school, but I figured I had a better shot this way.

Hey combo,
Yes I am quite young for LGO. I think 24 was the bottom of the range for the 2013 class profile. And I didn't really address this in my application. I didn't feel that it fit in with any of the essays or my statement of objectives. Instead I focused just on my work experience as I felt it was entirely relevant and would help them see past the inexperienced-college-senior image they likely have. I also figured that, other than a lack of WE, there wasn't really a downside to being young, so I just tried to really show what I learned and accomplished in my career.

I also feel a bit of your pain on the GPA. I decided to take Elec, Mag and Modern Physics 2020 and Chemistry 1010 through the community college when I was 16. It didn't affect my UG GPA (thankfully) but it's the first course that shows up on my application (since it's required to be in chronological order). I thought a C in both classes wasn't too shabby for a 16 year old, but I'm afraid they might instantly think I have poor quant skills when they see it without understanding the circumstances. I briefly mentioned these courses were taken in HS on my resume, but I wonder if I should have clarified more...

fsaq wrote:
iamvolitant have you gotten 2 years of work experience yet? I see on your profile notes that you are applying to HBS 2+2. good luck!

Fsaq,
Good eye on the profile :) I am also thinking about an application to HBS 2+2. However I do have the required work experience for LGO. I've been with a national medical laboratory working full time for the last 3 years. I got the chance to participate in a few operations redesign projects and later led several of my own projects that resulted in 100k saved annually, better efficiency and higher quality. I now work in corporate education for our company of 3000 employees. The assistant VP offered to write a really great and detailed letter for me explaining my contributions to the company, so I hope this will be sufficient for my work experience in operations.
It would be nice if the amount of accomplishments I made at work would actually make my young age a strong point for my application, but I'm not going to count on it.

As for HBS 2+2, Maybe some of you can give me a bit of advice. I am in my senior year in college and realized this is the only time I will get the chance to apply through 2+2.
My reasoning was that since this is a program designed for students with an UG in a field other than business (me), and students that wouldn't normally pursue a MBA, that admissions might appreciate me more than the standard MBA adcom would. I also thought competing against other seniors with very little WE would be an advantage for me. Among other benefits I figured I could always apply to the standard HBS R3 or next year if 2+2 doesn't work out. But I won't get another shot at 2+2
This might be the wrong place to ask, but since it was brought up, let me know if any of you think this might be a good way to go about it.
Manager
Manager

Send PM
Another question for each of you, if you haven't mentioned already, how did everyone apply?

I know combobreaker went through Sloan,
I applied through the engineering application,
What about everyone else? And did it really cost $250 to apply through Sloan?

Also what field of engineering is everyone taking?
My field is Aero/Astro, specifically Air Transportation Systems

Is the number of students admitted through each field capped? I know the partner companies are diverse, but if the top 50 applicants were all ChemE would they take all 50? Or would they take some weaker candidates just to diversify the cohort?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Sloan '14 (A)
GRE 1: Q162 V159
GPA: 3.59
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:
Another question for each of you, if you haven't mentioned already, how did everyone apply?

Is the number of students admitted through each field capped? I know the partner companies are diverse, but if the top 50 applicants were all ChemE would they take all 50? Or would they take some weaker candidates just to diversify the cohort?

I applied through ESD and I am interested in the Manufacturing Systems and Supply Chains program. It is by far the most popular engineering field among LGOs but I havent read anything about specific targets or distributions that the admissions office looks to hit.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:

Hey again, I applied through Sloan, yes it costs 250. Through engineering it only costs 75 though. My field is also Aero/Astro in air transportation systems. I currently work for an airline and that is my post-LGO path if I get in (although I highly doubt i will even get an interview since no airline is a partner company to the program and my goals may not align with the Partners of LGO).

My recomendattion would be that you also apply to HBS 2+2 if you still have the emotional strength to do another application, although I am wishing you the best of lucks so you get into LGO and hopefully you wont need to worry about 2+2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:

I sure hope they give a bump to folks interested in the less popular engineering fields. I applied for the Biological Engineering program which typically has almost no interest. I think that may change in the future considering that several partner companies are making Biological drugs, but for now most of those students go into the ChE program or ESD.

Did most people applying also go to the ambassadors day?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
combobreaker wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:

I sure hope they give a bump to folks interested in the less popular engineering fields. I applied for the Biological Engineering program which typically has almost no interest. I think that may change in the future considering that several partner companies are making Biological drugs, but for now most of those students go into the ChE program or ESD.

I don't think your application gets bumped if you choose a less popular engineering fields. The engineering fields have their own requirements for ex. a person with EE background cannot go into Biological Engineering as he would not have the required coursework. The field you chose should match your long term goals. That's what I learned at the Ambassador day!!! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:

I applied through Sloan since I'm looking at a few other MBA programs (though not sure if I am actually going to apply anywhere else). Yep $250, which is par for the course for MBA apps. Actually, the whole process has definitely put a chunk in my wallet, between the GMAT fee, plane tickets to visit school (and burning vacation days in the process), nice business clothes, and application fees. A lot of people take GMAT classes and hire MBA consultants, which is way more dinero.

I applied to Mech E. Admittedly, I did try to play the numbers game a bit, since I know the majority people are ESD, and I'm interested in the Energy and Environmental Sustainability track which is offered in both. I would have liked to start in ESD since you can transfer into ME later on, but can't transfer into ESD, just to keep my options open but I liked the more technical degree anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
good luck!

Originally posted by fsaq on 20 Dec 2011, 11:07.
Last edited by fsaq on 29 Dec 2011, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
combobreaker wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:

I applied through Sloan. And it provides an 'Optional Essay' where you can explain anything you feel important and which hasn't been covered elsewhere (not sure if engineering schools have this option)
I am applying for ME (Energy & Sustainability). Had a tough time deciding between ESD (Systems Engineering) and ME, but after the Ambassador Day and another class visit, I chose ME. Its more technical, and there is option for studying transportation systems as electives.
Another thing: At Ambassador day one of the program officer commented: you may want to pursue your under-grad major if you already don't have a graduate degree in the same
And they seemingly give preference to those choosing lesser popular engg tracks, so as to balance the program. Otherwise every1 would be in ESD or ME or ChE
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ntan wrote:
iamvolitant wrote:

I applied through Sloan since I'm looking at a few other MBA programs (though not sure if I am actually going to apply anywhere else). Yep $250, which is par for the course for MBA apps. Actually, the whole process has definitely put a chunk in my wallet, between the GMAT fee, plane tickets to visit school (and burning vacation days in the process), nice business clothes, and application fees. A lot of people take GMAT classes and hire MBA consultants, which is way more dinero.

I applied to Mech E. Admittedly, I did try to play the numbers game a bit, since I know the majority people are ESD, and I'm interested in the Energy and Environmental Sustainability track which is offered in both. I would have liked to start in ESD since you can transfer into ME later on, but can't transfer into ESD, just to keep my options open but I liked the more technical degree anyway.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, but the main reason I applied through Sloan was that I feel like I have much stronger professional recommendations than academic ones. I was able to get my undergrad thesis professor to write me the technical one, but other than that I didn't have any close ties with any professors, and now I'm several years out of school anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So merry christmass to everyone!!

So I wrote my letter to Santa but it seems that he can only give me my present on March 09 2012. And maybe a sneak peak on the first week of january :P

Happy holidays.
Intern
Intern
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just noticed that January 7th falls on a Saturday this year. Think they'll send interview invites out on the 6th or the 9th?
Manager
Manager

Send PM
brau0300 wrote:
Just noticed that January 7th falls on a Saturday this year. Think they'll send interview invites out on the 6th or the 9th?

Inviting seems like a Friday type of activity :)
If I just spent a long week of browsing through applicants, I think I'd rather finish off the last day with invites, clear my mind, and start fresh on Monday.
Just a guess.

How do invites get sent out? Email? Phone?

I read that it is possible to receive an invite starting January and up through the end of March, but are most people all on the same day? (for USA applicants)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Happy Holidays everyone! Looks like next week some hearts would be still pumping...
I am an international, I don't know how long would my heart need to wait :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's interesting to re-read the old LGO threads now that I am able to relate first hand to the anxiety people were experiencing in years past.

Anyone have any information on which cities interviews are conducted in? I'm in a medium sized Midwest city and I'm hoping that if I get an interview I won't have to cough up for a plane ticket all the way to Boston again.

I wonder if they send someone to Chicago to conduct interviews.

Originally posted by brau0300 on 28 Dec 2011, 10:17.
Last edited by brau0300 on 28 Dec 2011, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
brau0300 wrote:
It's interesting to re-read the old LGO threads now that I am able to relate first hand to the anxiety people were experiencing in years past.

Anyone have any information on which cities interviews are conducted in? I'm in a medium sized Midwest city and I'm hoping that if I get an interview I won't have to cough up for a plane ticket all they way to Boston again.

I wonder if they send someone to Chicago to conduct interviews.

From what I understand, most of their interviews are in-person. Last year someone flew even from London. If they are willing to conduct interview by skype/phone, I would be happier. But I am willing to fly back again to Boston from India if they can only do in-person interviews

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It would be interesting to know what percent of the applicant pool is internationals. They show the number of enrolled internationals, but I doubt they release statistics on the number of international applicants. It seems like a significant portion of posters in this thread and previous LGO threads are international.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts