Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 06:55 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 06:55
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V30
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
faro wrote:
Anyone else's Yale application proof missing information and look off?

i wouldn't worry about it.. i received an invite and mine is still all messed up. the email from yale said to only use the portal as a means to track your application status.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mooze wrote:
I actually did. It was great,..it definitely bumped Tuck up to #1 on my list. People were really friendly, facilities were great, all in all, had a great experience. Interview wasn't bad either, very friendly, certainly nothing to stress about for those that haven't had their Tuck interviews yet.

Good to hear. It will make a difference. Wasn't sure if you said you completed the full app or the Consortium app? And also glad to hear they got a nice bump on your personal rankings; doesn't seem like you're alone on that one. From the roll call, Tuck & Yale seem to be the 'favorites' (or at least the most applied too)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
woggy987 wrote:
fyi, there's also a megabus now that takes you from Boston to New Haven. I like how they started running this route AFTER I left college.

I looked into the bus option, however it was more expensive that taking the train and took an hour longer. So it was a no brainer. I'll be arriving on the 29th of Jan. interviewing on the 30th, flying out that afternoon.

More expensive? That's impossible, those bus tickets run about $10 one way, whereas the train runs about $50 one way
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:
More expensive? That's impossible, those bus tickets run about $10 one way, whereas the train runs about $50 one way

Guess you're right, tickets were $22 on Mega, but I paid $33 for the train. I looked at Peter Pan before and they were around $50 bucks and much longer transit times than Megabus.

One of my biggest gripes with Mega tho is the leg room. I have a 34 inch inseam and my knees are always banging up against the seats... I feel like the tin man when I have to pry myself out of those seats after three hours.

Then again, maybe I was just looking for an excuse to take the train :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, I'm a round 2 applicant. I just received my first interview invite and it is from none other than my number 2 option, Johnson. I'm very excited and worried at the same time. Please guys for those of you who got accepted, give me some tips for the interview. I will travel to Ithaca on Feb 10.
I'm interested in Real Estate and my ranking is as follows:
-Haas
-Johnson
-Ross
-McCombs
-UNC
-Wisconsin
:lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Jacksparrow1906 wrote:

Guess you're right, tickets were $22 on Mega, but I paid $33 for the train. I looked at Peter Pan before and they were around $50 bucks and much longer transit times than Megabus.

One of my biggest gripes with Mega tho is the leg room. I have a 34 inch inseam and my knees are always banging up against the seats... I feel like the tin man when I have to pry myself out of those seats after three hours.

Then again, maybe I was just looking for an excuse to take the train :-D

I hear that, both the Mega and bolt buses can be super cheap, but if you are tall, you most likely will have to consider sitting at an angle. Not a good look for a 2hr bus ride.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
arzad wrote:
Guys, I'm a round 2 applicant. I just received my first interview invite and it is from none other than my number 2 option, Johnson. I'm very excited and worried at the same time. Please guys for those of you who got accepted, give me some tips for the interview. I will travel to Ithaca on Feb 10.
-Haas
-Johnson
-Ross
-McCombs
-UNC
-Wisconsin

Aahh, Ithaca in February. The weather is so lovely that time of year. BUNDLE UP!! And enjoy Cornell. It's a beautiful campus (with delicious food!!). Good luck with the interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
mooze wrote:
I actually did. It was great,..it definitely bumped Tuck up to #1 on my list. People were really friendly, facilities were great, all in all, had a great experience. Interview wasn't bad either, very friendly, certainly nothing to stress about for those that haven't had their Tuck interviews yet.

Good to hear. It will make a difference. Wasn't sure if you said you completed the full app or the Consortium app? And also glad to hear they got a nice bump on your personal rankings; doesn't seem like you're alone on that one. From the roll call, Tuck & Yale seem to be the 'favorites' (or at least the most applied too)

I did the Consortium app,..I'm planning to sign up on your Consortium roll call,...just haven't gotten around to it,..sorry.

Also,..not sure of any of you have this feeling,..but on the Tuck trip i met so many fellow applicants that have really really impressive work backgrounds, that frankly, seem to blow me out of the water. It was great in the sense that I knew what kind of folks I would be surronded with if I have the good fortune to attend,...but also disheartening in that I know how challenging getting accepted will be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
arzad wrote:
-Haas
-Johnson
-Ross
-McCombs
-UNC
-Wisconsin

Congratulations!! Johnson is my number 2 as well. I haven't done an interview with Johnson yet but from everything that I've heard and from my experience with Goizueta these interviews tend to be very conversational and relaxed.

One strategy that has always worked for me is to jot down a few main points or stories before the interview that I want to make sure to address. These points could be anything from a few facts about the school/company, a good example of leadership that they don't already know about or something else that would help me sell myself in the interview. I would memorize these main points and tailor my answers around them. For example, if I wanted to tell the interviewer about a promotion that I received at work I could mention it in response to a question like "tell me a little bit about yourself" or "why would you be a good fit for our school/company etc". Keep track of these main points and cross each one off in your head as the interview progresses.

I don't know if this will help you but it has always helped me to relax and come out of the interview feeling confident that I expressed myself in the best possible way.

Good Luck!! and fill us in with the details afterwards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mooze wrote:
I did the Consortium app,..I'm planning to sign up on your Consortium roll call,...just haven't gotten around to it,..sorry.

Also,..not sure of any of you have this feeling,..but on the Tuck trip i met so many fellow applicants that have really really impressive work backgrounds, that frankly, seem to blow me out of the water. It was great in the sense that I knew what kind of folks I would be surronded with if I have the good fortune to attend,...but also disheartening in that I know how challenging getting accepted will be.

Mooze, no problem. When you get around to it that's fine. Re: Impressive backgrounds... I agree there are some very strong work experiences that you could easily get intimidated by but Tuck really places high value on diversifying the makeup of their class. Some schools, (ehem Wharton) draw heavily from finance and consulting backgrounds. Almost to an extent it polarizes those who come from other disciplines. I'm not criticizing consultants or financiers here, btw. But I wouldn't get too caught up in other folks experience v. yours... if there is something unique about you outside of your work (and maybe inside) they will likely notice.

They preach and preach and preach about the 'holistic approach' they make decisions based on so even those of you out there who are knee knocking about GMAT or GPA don't let it get you down too much if you have something else that can add diversity to their community.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
arzad wrote:
-Haas
-Johnson
-Ross
-McCombs
-UNC
-Wisconsin

Arzad,

1. Call Johnson and ask who you will be interviewing with.
2. If it's a professor make sure you look up their bio, what they do, what clubs/activities/classes they are involved in so you can speak to that in your interview.
2a. If it's a second year or an adcom I would consult the ClearAdmit Wiki.
3. Regardless of if it's an adcom, prof or student you will get asked: Why your MBA? Why now? Why Cornell? <--you may get Why Johnson? make sure you speak to the opportunities at Johnson as well as Cornell. Finally they'll likely ask you about a leadership situation.
4. It will be conversational so relax and be yourself.

any more questions PM me. Also johnnyGMAT, nessy26x and mixedin86 are all great resources as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senator,
Is the roll call based on candidates' first school choice or all of their school choices? I'm assuming all because the numbers for each school don't add up to 50.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
suchdaddy wrote:
Senator,
Is the roll call based on candidates' first school choice or all of their school choices? I'm assuming all because the numbers for each school don't add up to 50.

It only counts applicants. Not the number of schools they are applying to. It's done like that because that's the way Consortium counts applicants (not on a school-by-school basis). If you are looking for total applications, the 4th chart will offer detail on how many applications that each school is receiving from members of this forum (Although not everyone has updated their profiles in full).

If you notice any glitches and/or anything else you'd like to add or see I'll be happy to try and accommodate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
suchdaddy wrote:
Senator,

It only counts applicants. Not the number of schools they are applying to. It's done like that because that's the way Consortium counts applicants (not on a school-by-school basis). If you are looking for total applications, the 4th chart will offer detail on how many applications that each school is receiving from members of this forum (Although not everyone has updated their profiles in full).

If you notice any glitches and/or anything else you'd like to add or see I'll be happy to try and accommodate.

I gotcha... Thanks for the clarity. I was looking at the high numbers for some schools wondering if (for example) haas had 14 people making it their first choice, or did 14 people just put haas on their list. But I see now.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
arzad wrote:
-Haas
-Johnson
-Ross
-McCombs
-UNC
-Wisconsin

Arzad, my tips are simple:

- What are your strengths?

- What is something that you can say that your interviewer will ALWAYS remember... even if he/she doesn't remember your name... they might think, "oh yeah that's the guy who rescued a baby beluga from a net," .... etc. etc.... don't be perfect, be honest and memorable

- Let us be real for a second, we all, for the most part, have at least a decent GMAT and/or GPA... and if you've received an interview, you're past that filtering point... so now it's time to impress them or, at least, give them reassurance that you're not a total douche and will complement their class

- In the end though, just relax, smile, and know yourself... that's what will make you confident and get you through this and any other interview... it's worked for me, I have four acceptances and crapload of money offered and some of my stats are definitely not bragging material

I wish you the best of luck my friend 8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hooray, just received a Ross interview invite for all you in the Consortium pool. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Kudos
same here!
method wrote:
Hooray, just received a Ross interview invite for all you in the Consortium pool. :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts