Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 06:54 It is currently 05 May 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1066 [181]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [46]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 930 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [0]
Send PM
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o [#permalink]
A from me..

if workers constant, and output doubled, then clearly volume doubled...

u cant infer any other from the argument..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Production = average output * no. of miners

Therefore, if no. of miners is constant, then:

2*production = 2*average output * no. of miners

Answer = A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [2]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Kudos
X: increase in technology applications for mines
Y: increase in mine production[coal output per miner]

The argument claims that X --> Y

we conclude that
Y --/--> X
Z --/--> Y where Z is any other variable or change

Answer (A) provides that Z, change in the number of miners, remained constant during the period. Because Y is a rate [coal output/ number of miners], then a change in the number of miners [Z] can cause a change in the coal output per miner [Y].

Thus, answer A provides that Z --/--> Y
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
The stem can be abbreviated to:

2* Total Coal Production in yr a / number of miners in yr a = T.C. P. in yr (a+5) / n in yr (a+5).

A is directly related to the stem. All other options are less related or irrelevant.

buckkitty wrote:
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.

Explanations with answers please. OA to follow.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 804 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If Coal output per miner in Tribnia is doubled what it was five years ago. Then productively per person has doubled.

IMO Choice A “If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia’s total coal production has doubled in that period of time” describes the situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Kudos
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?
A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia’s total coal production has doubled in that period of time.
B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall output in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.
C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.
D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine’s overall output has declined or remained constant.
E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.

Pls. explain...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

After reading this question one would think *May be the employee(miner) strength should have increased.So there is a increase in the Coal(This actually can be one of the reason for the increase in Coal production..

So to draw a conclusion(that supports ""new technology increased the productivity"" one should eliminate the alternate cause mentioned above.

I Think A does it well and concludes... Hope im correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Good question.
A

I went by process of elimination from bottom up. If the production rate per miner has doubled in the past five years, the production per miner would be two-folds in five years. Only necessary condition is that everything else remain the same i.e. no change in number of miners or no new places are adding to the output.

D and B look suspect, but evaluating A is better and quicker and seems good enough after some analysis.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5429 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Tough one.

Selected D first but A looks the correct one.
Even I thiught for A but I dont know why I moved away from it and marked D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:
Quote:
new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

After reading this question one would think *May be the employee(miner) strength should have increased.So there is a increase in the Coal(This actually can be one of the reason for the increase in Coal production..

So to draw a conclusion(that supports ""new technology increased the productivity"" one should eliminate the alternate cause mentioned above.

I Think A does it well and concludes... Hope im correct

Couldn't get that .. can you please explain again.

Quote:

After reading this question one would think *May be the employee(miner) strength should have increased.

I thought its because of technology :idea:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I'm with A. B and D discuss individual coal mines and what their impact would be if those variables changed - out of scope. E discusses costs - out of scope. C - just because a new mine opened does not mean there would be greater productivity as a whole. The new mine could very well be a wasted venture, and could drag down output per miner.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 674 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
RGM wrote:
I'm with A. B and D discuss individual coal mines and what their impact would be if those variables changed - out of scope. E discusses costs - out of scope. C - just because a new mine opened does not mean there would be greater productivity as a whole. The new mine could very well be a wasted venture, and could drag down output per miner.

Dear RGM - It's a great analysis you've shown - only if you could also tell how did you so definitively conclude that because B and D were discussing INDIVIDUAL coal mines hence they were out of scope?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos