It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2012, 08:42
sap wrote:
bibha wrote:
can someone explain why C is wrong?

I will give you a simple analogy, try and relate that to the problem at hand

I got wet, even though it dint rain.

Now think what it concludes
1. I got wet due to something else, other than rain ( I DID NOT GET WET DUE TO RAIN )
OR
2. If it rained I would have got wet -- can you really conclude this ? Will this happen 100% of times that WHEVENER it rains you will get wet ?

My example doesnt even talk about raining, can we still conclude something which is not given in the text ?

On the same lines
production / miner improved, even though new start ups dint come up

CONCLUSION -- production / miner DID NOT / WOULD NOT HAVE IMPROVE(D) DUE TO NEW START UPS IT IMPROVED DUE TO TECHNOLOGY

does it make sense ?

Theoretically C could be possible, but there is nothing in the argument that supports this possibility.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2012, 05:26
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia’s coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.
\(\frac{C o 5yrs ago}{N5 yrs ago}\) = \(2*\frac{C o now}{Nnow}\)
Draw a Conclusion: For such questions, we should not assume anything other than what is given in the premises.
A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia’s total coal production has doubled in that period of time. Only option that can be logically inferred without any assumptions.
B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall output in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner. Out of Scope. Nothing about individual coal mines is mentioned.
C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.Further assumption required.Out
D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine’s overall output has declined or remained constant. It may be possible that the number of workers has declined. Out.
E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years. Out of Scope. Nothing about price mentioned.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 971 [1], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
New Gmat club project
Click here

Theory Articles of Main point/Conclusion questions

Thursdays with Ron

Kaplan
http://gmat.kaptest.com/2011/09/07/how- ... gFHrI.dpbs

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 971 [1], given: 321

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 14:13
Indeed, D is a very attractive answer choice, but it's a trap to those who didn't get the stem. This is a "must be true" question, in other words, the stimulus contains only facts (accepted as true) and each answer choice will state a conclusion. In answer D, the constant number of miners cannot be taken for granted as the output per miner increased, despite the fact that output remained constant. Therefore, D is not a good answer choice.

tgt7xx wrote:
Can someone tell how to eliminate "D" ?
If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the
past five years, then that mine’s overall output has declined or remained
constant."

This has to be true as number of miners has remained constant...

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 84

GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 20:34
Good One;
The passage states that;
Tech leds to increased production leads to 2x coal/ miner than five years ago; no new mines opened.
A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.
I guess this exactly concludes the statement that no. of miners are constant hence the technology is effective to increase the proaction / miner to double in five years.

B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.- Reverse logic trap; if A is increased and B is unit of A ; so B increased.

C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was. Irrelevant comparison

D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant. Reverse logic trap; if A is not increased and A has no. of B then B is not increased

E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years. Distraction The price is not discussed in the passage. Sort of out of scope option.

:banana
Explanations with answers please. OA to follow.[/quote]

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 84

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 14:02
The last part of argument states that "Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened."

Then why cant C be the conclusion?
It states, C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

This is a correct one as well right? The technology has doubled the production, which improved prod per miner(PPM). If any new mines had opened, then PPM would have been greater than now...

Please help me explaining about this..

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 13:05
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

Boil it down - the average coal output per miner, for ALL of tribinia, has doubled over the last 5 years.
that's it.
this means that there could be vast differences between miners; this is only a national average. in particular, it is totally possible that some miners, and some mines, are LESS productive than they were 5 years ago.

...and no new mines have opened.
however, the existing miners could have added, or laid off, miners. there is no information in the passage about the # of workers at each mine.
in fact, there could now be 100 times as many miners as there were before, at every mine.
or 1% as many as before. we have no idea at all.

A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.- Correct

B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner. Incorrect - you can't assume that the NATIONAL trend applies to INDIVIDUAL mines

C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was. - Out of scope

D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant. - Incorrect

E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.- Irrelevant - cost of producing is not even discussed

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 72

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1182 [0], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 08:46
buckkitty wrote:
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

(B) Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(C) If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(D) If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.

Main Point (MP) Questions:

Main Point questions are a variant of Must Be True questions. As you might expect, a Main Point question asks you to find the primary conclusion made by the author.

Identify the conclusion of the argument, and the correct answer choice to these problems will be a rephrasing of the main conclusion of the argument.

Two types of answers often appear in Main Point questions. Both are incorrect:

1. Answers that are true but do not encapsulate the author’s point.
2. Answers that repeat premises of the argument.

Conclusion : That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry.

Premise : Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

Answer : A

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1182 [0], given: 415

That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 08:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap