GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: Can anyone offer an explanation for this one: That the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2012, 10:55
I got a PM to respond to this one, especially to clarify why choice B is not the correct answer.

There are two things to keep in mind in this question:

1. You are looking of information that must be true based on the information in the argument.
2. The information in the argument talks about averages - Average increase of coal output per miner across the country and not for any specfic mine. Note that the argument does not state that the output per miner should have increased by the same amount in every mine in the country. It does not even imply that the output of every mine should have increases. Its only talking about averages or that increases in output and productivity per miner coincide for every mine.

Choice B: Choice B is an example of the specific instance that is described in #2 above that cannot be inferred from the data in the argument. The argument does not state that every mine that has experienced increased output has also experienced increased productivity.

Let me know if you need more explanation.

-Rajat

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2012, 14:10
egmat wrote:
I got a PM to respond to this one, especially to clarify why choice B is not the correct answer.

There are two things to keep in mind in this question:

1. You are looking of information that must be true based on the information in the argument.
2. The information in the argument talks about averages - Average increase of coal output per miner across the country and not for any specfic mine. Note that the argument does not state that the output per miner should have increased by the same amount in every mine in the country. It does not even imply that the output of every mine should have increases. Its only talking about averages or that increases in output and productivity per miner coincide for every mine.

Choice B: Choice B is an example of the specific instance that is described in #2 above that cannot be inferred from the data in the argument. The argument does not state that every mine that has experienced increased output has also experienced increased productivity.

Let me know if you need more explanation.

-Rajat

Is the assumption in the above argument is that " new technology has helped the workers to increase the productivity over the year"and based on that answer choice A (which mentions additionally that number of workers remained constant) is correct?

Please explain.
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:39
Dear Monsoon,

This is a conclusion question. Can you tell me why are you looking for assumptions in this questions. Essentially, in conclusion/Must Be true question types, we are only concerned with information that is mentioned in the argument. Assumptions, by definition, are not mentioned in the argument.

Here is the reason why choice A is correct:

The argument states that coal output per miner has doubled. Hence, if the coal output per miner was 100 tonnes/yr 5 yrs back, it is 200 tonnes per year now. The argument also states that no new mines have opened.

Total coal production = (Number of Miners) X (Production per Miner)

Hence, if Number of Miners is unchanged, and the production per Miner has doubled (as per the argument), the total production will double.

Let me know if this is not clear.

-Rajat
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 06:06
New Gmat club project
Click here

Theory Articles of Main point/Conclusion questions

Thursdays with Ron

Kaplan
http://gmat.kaptest.com/2011/09/07/how- ... gFHrI.dpbs

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 14:13
Indeed, D is a very attractive answer choice, but it's a trap to those who didn't get the stem. This is a "must be true" question, in other words, the stimulus contains only facts (accepted as true) and each answer choice will state a conclusion. In answer D, the constant number of miners cannot be taken for granted as the output per miner increased, despite the fact that output remained constant. Therefore, D is not a good answer choice.

tgt7xx wrote:
Can someone tell how to eliminate "D" ?
If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the
past five years, then that mine’s overall output has declined or remained
constant."

This has to be true as number of miners has remained constant...
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2013, 20:34
Good One;
The passage states that;
Tech leds to increased production leads to 2x coal/ miner than five years ago; no new mines opened.
A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.
I guess this exactly concludes the statement that no. of miners are constant hence the technology is effective to increase the proaction / miner to double in five years.

B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.- Reverse logic trap; if A is increased and B is unit of A ; so B increased.

C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was. Irrelevant comparison

D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant. Reverse logic trap; if A is not increased and A has no. of B then B is not increased

E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years. Distraction The price is not discussed in the passage. Sort of out of scope option.

:banana
Explanations with answers please. OA to follow.[/quote]

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 14:02
The last part of argument states that "Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened."

Then why cant C be the conclusion?
It states, C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

This is a correct one as well right? The technology has doubled the production, which improved prod per miner(PPM). If any new mines had opened, then PPM would have been greater than now...

Please help me explaining about this..
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 13:05
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

Boil it down - the average coal output per miner, for ALL of tribinia, has doubled over the last 5 years.
that's it.
this means that there could be vast differences between miners; this is only a national average. in particular, it is totally possible that some miners, and some mines, are LESS productive than they were 5 years ago.

...and no new mines have opened.
however, the existing miners could have added, or laid off, miners. there is no information in the passage about the # of workers at each mine.
in fact, there could now be 100 times as many miners as there were before, at every mine.
or 1% as many as before. we have no idea at all.

A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.- Correct

B. Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner. Incorrect - you can't assume that the NATIONAL trend applies to INDIVIDUAL mines

C. If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was. - Out of scope

D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant. - Incorrect

E. In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.- Irrelevant - cost of producing is not even discussed

Answer A
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 08:46
buckkitty wrote:
That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

(B) Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(C) If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(D) If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.

Main Point (MP) Questions:

Main Point questions are a variant of Must Be True questions. As you might expect, a Main Point question asks you to find the primary conclusion made by the author.

Identify the conclusion of the argument, and the correct answer choice to these problems will be a rephrasing of the main conclusion of the argument.

Two types of answers often appear in Main Point questions. Both are incorrect:

1. Answers that are true but do not encapsulate the author’s point.
2. Answers that repeat premises of the argument.

Conclusion : That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry.

Premise : Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

Answer : A

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 07:09
buckkitty wrote:

(B) Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(C) If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(D) If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.

A is answer

1 miner ------ x Tonnes ( x tonnes/miner ) 2012
1miner. ------2x Tonnes. (2x tonnes/miner) 2017

Total say 10 miners

Total production -> 10x in 2012 and 20x in 2017 => production is doubled -> A is ans--- no need to go to other options in exam.
S
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 00:50
question is giving all credit to new technology not to work force or increased in number of mines so
A is the right choice
Target#01 Q45,V20--April End
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 22:36
will anyone be able to tell me what is wrong with option D?
D. If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

If the mine's overall output didn't increase...
then the mine's overall output will decline or remain constant...if not this, then what??

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 01:26
I understand option A but how do we eliminate answer choice B
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '22

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 21:19
I was confused between A and B, and chose B. Can you explain why not B?
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 15:00
The production per capita is compared with 5 years ago. imagine in this five years the growth is x%. then (1+x%)^5=2, so we can imagine this 'double' effect went up gradually.

The the choice A is telling that:
A. If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia’s total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

Tribina's total coal production has doubled in that period of time??? First, what does it mean by saying in that period of time? Does it mean in the five years? or to which year the question wants to compare. I thought this question was really vague so I did not choose A.
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2019, 02:41
Rajeet123 wrote:
I was confused between A and B, and chose B. Can you explain why not B?

mallya12 wrote:
I understand option A but how do we eliminate answer choice B

From the passage, we know that "coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago." Let's apply this information to the answer choices in question:

Quote:

Notice that the evidence in the passage gives an increase in the overall coal output per miner in Tribnia. If we know that the overall rate doubled, can we conclude that any individual mine that achieved in increase in output also increased its output per miner?

In short -- no, we cannot conclude that. It is possible that some mines hired a bunch of additional miners, and even if their output increased, their output per miner stayed the same (or even decreased). The overall rate of coal output per miner must average out to be double the overall rate of five years ago, but we cannot conclude that any individual mine increased its rate of coal output per miner. (B) is out.

Now look at (A):
Quote:

Again, the key piece of information in the passage to apply here is that "coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago." If each miner is, on average, producing double the amount of coal now that each miner produced five years ago, and if the number of miners has remained the same, then the total coal production must have doubled as well.

Think of it this way: Five years ago, 100 miners produced 100 tons of coal per day (is this a reasonable amount of coal? I have no idea). Now, there are still 100 miners, but their productivity has doubled. What is their total output? It is, of course, double what it was before -- so, 200 tons. Because the rate has doubled and the amount of workers has remained constant, the overall output must have doubled as well. (A) is our answer.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 05:31
My two cents:

1: correct

2: No: what if the mine increased the output by hiring more people, thus bringing down the same per miner

3: No: predictions cannot really be inferred

4: No: what if the mine hired more people and increased output, reducing the same per miner

5: No: costs are not relevant
Yale Moderator
S
Schools: Tuck, NYU Stern, Yale, LBS, INSEAD, ISB, MBS
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2019, 10:10
RGM wrote:
I'm with A. B and D discuss individual coal mines and what their impact would be if those variables changed - out of scope. E discusses costs - out of scope. C - just because a new mine opened does not mean there would be greater productivity as a whole. The new mine could very well be a wasted venture, and could drag down output per miner.

Hey, how is E out of scope?
Think of it this way, If the cost of producing coal has decreased, wouldn't that result in more output of coal produced? Doesn't that have a bearing upon the output per worker?
Cheap Coal = More Coal being processed = More Output per Worker !!!!

I totally understand why A is correct though, because it says the if the number of coal mine workers has remained constant over the last five years ( Period when the Coal miners saw a 2x increase in their output per worker) then the overall output must have doubled too!
Overall Output = Number of Workers x Output Per Worker.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 10:34
Can someone explain why 'D' is wrong/'out of scope'?
Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 00:53
buckkitty wrote:

In Tribnia, coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Note that we are talking about coal output/miner = Total coal output / No of miners

This quantity will depend on how total coal output has changed and how no. of miners has changed. If it has doubled, it is possible that coal output has doubled while no of miners is same. It is possible that number of miners has become half while coal output is same. It is possible that output has become 4 times while no of miners has doubled and so on...

Correct. If number of miners has remained the same, then the total output must have doubled.

Not true. If the output increased but number of miners increased too, output per miner may not have increased.

No. It depends on the number of miners, output of rest of the mines etc.

Not true. A mine may have increased its output but increased its number of miners too. In that case, its output per miner may not have increased though its output would have increased.

Nothing known about cost of producing coal.

Answer (A)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2019, 00:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

That the application of new technology can increase the productivity o

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics