Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 08:29 It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [19]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3959 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Taking note of the success of local farmers’ markets, the university’s [#permalink]
I somehow think it's A..

Whtz d OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Re: Taking note of the success of local farmers’ markets, the university’s [#permalink]
agdimple333 wrote:
Taking note of the success of local farmers’ markets, the university’s food service providers have transitioned into a locally-grown, sustainable operation.

have transitioned into a locally-grown, sustainable operation
have transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operation
have transitioned into locally-grown, sustainable operations
are transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operations
are transitioning into locally-grown, sustainable operation

A This is the Answer Choice for me because it clearly expresses the meaning intended.
B into sustainable is just awkward so elim.
C the plural operations changes the meaning of the sentence
D are transitioned. Simple Past does not work in this case
E are transitioning implies that the Transition is happening as we speak
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [1]
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Runner2 wrote:
why not B?

when two adjectives need to be used to describe something, adjective that has more important/weightage should be near to the noun.

Here in our case, the business men are not interested whether it is locally grown or remotely grown. All they want to ensure is their strategy is sustainable. And hence B is not correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Send PM
metallicafan wrote:
IMO, C.

In A, it seems that the providers have transtioned to the same operation.

Where did you get the info that the providers have transtioned to the same operation from?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
toughmat wrote:
I picked C
we need to use operations as there are many service providers and they wont have a single operation.
have expresses the right tense

Need not be. For e.g., following two statements are correct:

Students with umbrella attended the class. --> if it is raining, ideally students will come to school with only one umbrella; this is what emphasized here.

Students with umbrellas attended the class. --> referring to all students
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [1]
Send PM
reatsaint wrote:
C in my opinioin.

I don't reject usage of 'operations' because businesses have multiple operations. But, each operation has its own factors - either this operation affect something or gets affected by something else.

Now, the statement talks about only one factor and hence its reasonable to refer to the operation that it is affecting. and hence usage of 'operation' is also correct.

having said that, still 'operations' is also valid because, that one factor might be affecting many operations and this info is missing from the context.

because of this reason, i would reject the total statement as a valid GMAT question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The correct answer is C. A is close but it should be operations rather than operation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
agdimple333 wrote:
Taking note of the success of local farmers’ markets, the university’s food service providers have transitioned into a locally-grown, sustainable operation.

have transitioned into a locally-grown, sustainable operation
have transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operation
have transitioned into locally-grown, sustainable operations
are transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operations
are transitioning into locally-grown, sustainable operation

Present perfect tense is preferable than simple tense.
operations are compared to providers
So D is clear
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [2]
Given Kudos: 358
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
Taking note of the success of local farmers’ markets, the university’s [#permalink]
Kudos
agdimple333 wrote:

A. have transitioned into a locally-grown, sustainable operation- providers is plural therefore they form multiple operations and not a single operation
B. have transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operation- operations is single as in option A
C. have transitioned into locally-grown, sustainable operations- CORRECT- operations is plural
D. are transitioned into sustainable, locally-grown operations- the use of "are" makes it seem like the service providers are as "a fact" were always locally grown, sustainable operations- wrong!! since the service providers transitioned over time we must use present perfect tense!
E. are transitioning into locally-grown, sustainable operation- same as option D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Since operation is singular, as the markets have become one entity under operations.
Thus we cannot use "a" locally grown operations.
Thus eliminate option A

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Taking note of the success of local farmers markets, the universitys [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Taking note of the success of local farmers markets, the universitys [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts