Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 06:47 It is currently 20 May 2024, 06:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: Mental health [#permalink]
Slow and Steady Wins the Race. GMAT is not a cram exam, it will be counter productive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
I've started doing P-90X (workout routine). When I feel I want a break, I do a little bit of exercise to clear my head. I'm pretty weak, but I (as well as my friends) have noticed a fairly substantial strength increase just a few weeks in, which in turn has boosted my confidence quite a bit. For some reason, after I work out, it makes me feel more driven to succeed on the GMAT/other aspects of life **cough cough with women cough cough**

I also watch tv shows and play videogames to help relieve stress and tension. You definitely want to have an outlet to help you relax while you prep for the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AbhiJ, dreamchase, you guys are seriously right. I have given myself only 2 months to prep before I want to squeeze into R3 of some bschools. That's the reason for all the stress. I think I should extend my GMAT by a month, get a much better score and try more comfortably in R1 next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
I seriously think I have adult ADHD (the condition doesn’t exist in my country haha) because I find it really hard to focus which is very unfortunate, given that I can afford to study 6-8 hours a day (I’m a chef). What’s helped my concentration most are these Hair and Nails multivitamins I got from Amazon (or was it Costco?) and water fasting (I don’t recommend this to anyone). I do Jillian Michaels every morning because listening to her talk is a bit like practicing CR. I also cleaned and moved the furniture around in my room to make it more study-friendly. My exam date’s 4 days before my deadline in April; having the rest of the app taken care of before even starting my month of study has helped me somewhat.

CAN’T WAIT TO GET THIS OVER WITH. Ugh, so hard to secure a future these days.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dreamchase wrote:
budablasta wrote:

But just a few days ago I figured I needed to see a doctor for my fatigue. She diagnosed it as severe stress. So I am on medication for stress. It seems to be helping. I have been a little less tired the last few days.

Personal advice : People, please don't do this to yourself. Take some extra time if you need, reschedule. But such an overkill would hurt - you may be putting 5 hours in your preps, but you will not retain as much as you should. Studying for three hours at 100% efficiency may be a better idea.
To each his own, it is just an advice.

But the brutal truth of our times, one is stressed out and dead tired even if one isn't prepping for a competitive exam like the GMAT. Work is bad enough. The fight for promotions and increments takes out the soul out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
I agree with the physical health aspect of things. I usually go out for a bike ride or a swim before attacking the GMAT. Helps me focus and makes me feel less restless.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Mental health is a dangerous problem our society .
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i agree about it and i will join it as soon as possible
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i agree about it and i will join it as soon as possible
Intern
Intern
Send PM
anybody here and understand what i am say ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
you understood something then contack me
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT Date: 04-02-2012
GPA: 3.79
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
And before you start studying, definitely get a girlfriend (or boyfriend). You social and sex life go to the gutter!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
budablasta wrote:
Okay, I started prep 6 weeks ago and I have had a real hard time. I have had to wake up very early in the morning to be able to put in 4-5 hours for the GMAT. Trouble is, I am totally not used to studying so hard. So, I would get really, really tired for the rest of the entire day. I am in IBM and have to put in a full day's work.

I took care to sleep well, sleep early, eat energy foods.. but I am almost always dead tired because of my prep.

But just a few days ago I figured I needed to see a doctor for my fatigue. She diagnosed it as severe stress. So I am on medication for stress. It seems to be helping. I have been a little less tired the last few days.

I had a very similar routine for a 6-month period because of gmat. I stoped working out and that was the worst thing I could have done. By the end everything went ok, but one advice I could give is: take sone days off prior to your real exam. In my case a took a 15 days vacation from work, went back to my home town, returned to gym and when I took the exam my mind was as clear as possible. And I know would not be able to have had a good score with the level of stress I was before.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22274 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi FatRiverPuff,

I assume you created this post because you are personally having issues consistently studying for the GMAT?
GMAT Club Bot