Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Quote:
U.S. News & World Report released its 2013 ranking of the Best Graduate Schools today. In the Business School category, the Darden School ranked at No. 13 — the same position it held in last year’s ranking. Darden’s standing improved in key ways and categories:
Overall score. Darden’s overall ranking score rose from 77 to 81. The schools in the Top 10 range from 84 to 100.

Average GMAT. Darden’s average GMAT score increased from 699 to 701.

Specialty rankings. In the specialty rankings, rated by business school deans and MBA program directors, Darden rose in two categories:
• Two places in the management category to No. 6.
• Two places in the entrepreneurship category to No. 12.
Recruiting-related rankings. Darden did very well and occupies a place in the Top 10 for recruiting results:
• The average starting salary and bonus jumped from $119,278 to $127,595.
• The percentage of graduates employed at graduation rose from 69 percent to 83 percent.
• The percentage of graduates employed three months after graduation climbed from 82.7 percent to 92.3 percent. Darden is No. 3 in this category, tied with Harvard, which spotlights the successful efforts of our Career Development Center.
For its survey, U.S. News evaluates ratings from deans, administrators and recruiters and analyzes quantitative data collected from schools. The survey does not measure the student experience — a key differentiator and value for Darden. Bloomberg Businessweek rates Darden’s learning environment No. 1 in student satisfaction and The Economist calls it the world’s best education experience. If we consider this omission, Darden fared quite well in the U.S. News survey.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I know Darden is known for being picky about choosing applicants, and many times I heard
they really want people who have the best "fit" to their program.

What kind of "fit" are they really looking for??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone tried calling the admissions office? I tried several times yesterday but couldn't reach them.

Advises please.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
simplest wrote:
I know Darden is known for being picky about choosing applicants, and many times I heard

You've got to fit the student and school culture. Are you a domestic applicant? Best bet is to email and speak with several students. Ask them about their experiences, whatever you have in mind. That's how I really got to understand Darden's culture.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
riksuba10 wrote:
Has anyone tried calling the admissions office? I tried several times yesterday but couldn't reach them.

Advises please.

I never tried calling the admissions office, but I have emailed them and received responses promptly.
Try emailing them if calling them doesn't work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
simplest wrote:

You've got to fit the student and school culture. Are you a domestic applicant? Best bet is to email and speak with several students. Ask them about their experiences, whatever you have in mind. That's how I really got to understand Darden's culture.

Good advice. If I need to categorize fit, I'd say first and foremost, ability to contribute to the case method and to posses academic abilities. Second, as Darden is a student driven school there has to be a drive for change, take action. Third, I'd say the ability to work collaboratively in teams.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
For those who have interviewed, I was wondering if you had received a response to your "thank you" note from your interviewer. I didn't get one and was wondering if I should take that as a sign.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Politico2012 wrote:
For those who have interviewed, I was wondering if you had received a response to your "thank you" note from your interviewer. I didn't get one and was wondering if I should take that as a sign.

Thanks!

No response for me as well.
Don't try to read too much into it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a reply from her but it could only be because she was free when she read the mail. I remember someone post here that they didn't receive a response and got an admit. Maybe I got a ding and she sympathized with me :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't get a reply last year. Do NOT read anything into it, it means nothing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I guess I'm getting a little paranoid with decision day looming.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
One more week to go.
It seems like accepted R1 applicants received calls a day before the decision date and all applicants received updates online at midnight.

Did any accepted R1 applicant not receive the call?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any waitlisted candidate received any feedback/update on his/her's status?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
It appears that based on the thread count, the interest in Darden this year is significantly lower than it was last year??? This thread is just at 45 pages now whereas at this time last year the count was approaching 70. Is it that people are staying away from the forums or focusing on other schools this year? I'd love to hear what you guys think..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
fs007 wrote:
It appears that based on the thread count, the interest in Darden this year is significantly lower than it was last year??? This thread is just at 45 pages now whereas at this time last year the count was approaching 70. Is it that people are staying away from the forums or focusing on other schools this year? I'd love to hear what you guys think..

I think its just less people are active on this thread. Maybe more lurkers are people are not asking the same question 20 times this year. I do not think less pages equates directly to less interest and thus less applicants
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
rgupta83 wrote:
fs007 wrote:

I think its just less people are active on this thread. Maybe more lurkers are people are not asking the same question 20 times this year. I do not think less pages equates directly to less interest and thus less applicants

I agree w/ gup. I'm an active reader but not an active poster in the Darden thread. However, there are CLEARLY fewer repeats of the same asked-and-answered questions here. Perhaps Darden applicants are more thoughtful than most? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
fs007 wrote:

That's a trend for almost all schools this year. There are two main reasons -
1. This year we have an automated roll-call feature in place. You simply need to update your school on your profile to indicate what stage of the application process you are in..Until last year, everyone used to post "in for R1", "in for R2" etc. and it was the threadmaster's responsibility to collate all such posts and update the stats on page 1. This year, since we don't have a ton of such posts and associated comments, it automatically reduces the page count
2. The application numbers are down this season. Not by much but this would definitely contribute as well..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  42   43   44   45   46   47   48  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts