Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [76]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [24]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [18]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully later in the same century.

A. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully, later in the same century
B. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century, but not successfully
C. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it
D. an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
E. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success

Source : GMAT Prep Question Pack

My questions:

1.) "Which" in option (A) and (B) refers to conquest, because "of the English Kingdom" refers to "conquest". Hence "Which" refers to "conquest". Is this correct?

2.) To my knowledge, "unsuccessfully" modifies "attempted to repeat". So i thought that this option is correct but it is not. Can u please xplain how to eliminate option (A)?

3.) I knocked down option "B" because there is no correct logical referent for "that". is my understanding correct on this option. Please explain.

4.) GMAT Prep says regarding option (C) - "The coordinating conjunction but introduced a clause that requires a subject and a verb; this version of the sentence provides the verb "were" but omits the subject."
If this is the case how option (E) is correct? i dont see any any subject/verb pair after "but".

Please explain when to look for a subject/verb pair after "BUT".

Thanks.

Originally posted by reddyMBA on 06 Sep 2013, 16:21.
Last edited by pqhai on 06 Sep 2013, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler OA
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
banggmatisb wrote:
4.) GMAT Prep says regarding option (C) - "The coordinating conjunction but introduced a clause that requires a subject and a verb; this version of the sentence provides the verb "were" but omits the subject."

Actually C uses the redundant it and this pronoun redundancy seems to be a favorite trick of GMAT. Another OG example that immediately came to mind:

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the Iliad, a work that had taken seven years to complete and that literary critic Samuel Johnson, Pope’s contemporary, pronounced it as the greatest translation in any language.

Let me know if you want more examples and I can dig them up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A question about D: does "that" need to appear next to the noun "attempt" if it were constructed this way? What is "that" referring to in D? Does this have to do with certain "mission critical" modifiers? Does it refer to king or to achievement and what is the role of the phrase in between? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
smalluser wrote:
A question about D: does "that" need to appear next to the noun "attempt" if it were constructed this way? What is "that" referring to in D? Does this have to do with certain "mission critical" modifiers? Does it refer to king or to achievement and what is the role of the phrase in between? Thank you!

Hi smalluser,

Since ‘that’ can logically refer to things only not people, it cannot refer to ‘Scandinavian kings’. Hence, ‘that’ in option D is referring to ‘an achievement’.
Also, ‘attempted’ is not a noun in this sentence so ‘that’ cannot refer to it.

OPTION D

• The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom,
o an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings
• that was not successful.

Here, ‘an achievement’ is referring to the action of the assault culminating with the conquest. The phrase ‘attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings’ is modifying ‘an achievement’. This phrase tells more about the noun ‘an achievement’.

This is illogical since one cannot attempt an achievement, since the achievement is already over. He can attempt to repeat the achievement.

Also, the clause ‘that was not successful’ is incorrectly modifying ‘an achievement’. If the achievement was not successful, then it’s not an achievement.

P.S.: ‘that’ does not need to appear right next to a noun to modify it.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
GMATPrep explanation says that answer choice C omits subject after "but".
Answer choice E also omits subject...

Experts?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tae808 wrote:

Experts?

Option E, unlike option C, introduces a phrase, not a clause. A phrase does not require a subject since there is no verb within a phrase.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [7]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
tae808 wrote:

Experts?

Option E, unlike option C, introduces a phrase, not a clause. A phrase does not require a subject since there is no verb within a phrase.

sayantanc2k

can you explain further?

Option C: ,but were not successful at it. The comma before "but" should not have been there.
1. I play, but I do not study. Correct (comma + conjunction joins two clauses)
2. I play but do not study. Correct (without comma, there is no need of a second clause - two verbs play and study are joined.)
3. I play, but do not study. Wrong. ( comma + but requires a second clause).
The error in the 3rd sentence above is exactly the same as that in option C.

In option E there is no verb within ", but without success". The question whether two verbs are joined or two clauses are joined does not arise at all. It is alright to add a contrasting prepositional phrase with a comma.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Although i dont dispute correct answer ,E is not parallel gramatically.to repeat later in the century is not parallel with 'without sucess' as one is infinitive and other is prep phrase.what am i missing here/
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sagarnamo1 wrote:
Although i dont dispute correct answer ,E is not parallel gramatically.to repeat later in the century is not parallel with 'without sucess' as one is infinitive and other is prep phrase.what am i missing here/

Consider this way:

"But" is a conjunction here adding two clauses:
1. Other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century.
2. They (Other Scandinavian kings) attempted without success.

It is allowed to omit the repeated parts from the second element of a parallel structure if the meaning is not obscured. The parallelism structure is as follows:

Other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but they (Other Scandinavian kings) attempted without success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Kudos
(A) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully, later in the same century.
(B) which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century, but not successfully
-- use of relative pronoun which is wrong, "English kingdom" is not what they attempted to repeat

(C) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it
--- pronoun "it" is very far from noun "achievement" and it is illogical; they are trying to succeed in the action of conquering the English Kingdom, rather than repeating the achievement.

(D) an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
-- also makes no sense, D) makes it sound like they are attempting an achievement, rather than the action of trying to conquer the English Kingdom.

(E) an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success.
-- fixes the issue in C, this is correct
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Experts

Good Evening!!!

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts

In option E "an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success" I can't see any verb for the subject An Achievement . And my reasoning is "An achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success" is acting as a modifier . Is this reasoning correct?

And also but is used as a conjunction for connecting two clauses in the above option?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

Good Evening!!!

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts

In option E "an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success" I can't see any verb for the subject An Achievement . And my reasoning is "An achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success" is acting as a modifier . Is this reasoning correct?

And also but is used as a conjunction for connecting two clauses in the above option?

Hi Vatsal7794,

Yes, that part of the sentence is an appositive (modifier). The noun achievement... tells us something about the Danish conquest of the English Kingdom.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP
Hi,
When we see "but", it naturally gives us hint that a clause with S-V may pop up (except the parallelism markers).
but here in choice E, its just a phrase afte "but". Is this acceptable?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
in C]does 'IT' refers to attempt or repeating. Can 'it' be a placeholder instead

in E] we have two two absolute phrases separated by a comma. is it correct?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
The Scandinavian assault on western Europe culminated in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in C]does 'IT' refers to attempt or repeating.

"It" certainly wants to stand for one of these words. However, in choice C both of them are verbs, so "it" cannot stand for either of them.

"It" is left with nothing to stand for, so it's wrong.

Quote:
Can 'it' be a placeholder instead

The object of a verb has to be an actual noun, so, no, it can't be a 'placeholder'.

Quote:
in E] we have two two absolute phrases separated by a comma. is it correct?

no, there's just one of those ("an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century").

The word "but" that introduces the final modifier is NOT the parallel market "but".
This version of "but" introduces a modifier; it's essentially the same as "albeit" or "though". (You've probably seen quite a few instances of this "but" in everyday life—e.g., A "low-carb burger" is just a regular hamburger, but wrapped in lettuce rather than on a bread bun.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
How ' ,but + without success" is correct in Choice E??
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
RuchitaB

This has been addressed pretty thoroughly above. I'm not sure I know what else to add without more details. Is there a rule that this construction appears to be breaking that hasn't been discussed yet?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts